Molecatcher Of The Year?

I was just trying to get the point across that 20 traps isnt a lot earth thrower. On a sheep farm say, where grass is down to the bone and the soil is good, he could set 20 traps within 30 - 40 mins or so, and look like an amateur when there is still another hundred acre to go at and he shouts "£50 please" then packs his bags and buggers off back home. Then again, if the grass is long, or ground is difficult, 20 traps could take a couple of hours.

Gravy if you read this, is there not someone local on here within driving distance you could lend some traps off?

Sorry, may not have made it clear. I am not doing the farm as such. The moles, he says, are located around his takeoff runway in a field and garden. The farm which is sheep is not being touched

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The moment a pottential customer, bulks at the price,...I walk away... I want clients that can afford me and who are happy to pay,...I've no need for whingers and whiners,...life is too short...

Its not how many you catch,...its how much regular work that your reliability, skill and honesty generates.... Mole trapping can be a good mistress,....and open up a whole lot of 'other doors'.....

It's a funny old game. I got interrogated about my charges the other day by a chap who is probably on a 5Ok a year pension. "How can you possibly ask that amount of money for catching a mole?" I pre

I was just trying to get the point across that 20 traps isnt a lot earth thrower. On a sheep farm say, where grass is down to the bone and the soil is good, he could set 20 traps within 30 - 40 mins or so, and look like an amateur when there is still another hundred acre to go at and he shouts "£50 please" then packs his bags and buggers off back home. Then again, if the grass is long, or ground is difficult, 20 traps could take a couple of hours.

Gravy if you read this, is there not someone local on here within driving distance you could lend some traps off?

Sorry, may not have made it clear. I am not doing the farm as such. The moles, he says, are located around his takeoff runway in a field and garden. The farm which is sheep is not being touched

Well, making an 'educated' guess, here ,.....you SHOULD have enough traps, for this situation ,.....& if you can get him to agree, to the £50, per visit ?,....you COULD be ok, here ?,......(as long as your 'capture rate', is good enough, though ? :D),....good luck, if it goes ahead ? (keep us posted ! lol)

Edited by earth-thrower

Just had a call from a farmer about catching some moles that he had tried to catch but failed.

Wanted a price so given a per visit price over the phone of £50 and said it will be 4 or 5 visits generally. Moles in 4 areas, particularly along his runway!!

He was staggered at the price, then mentioned could I leave the runway as he was flying to Cornwall this Friday.

So he has his own plane, own runway, a farm and thinks I am expensive.

Is £50 per visit expensive, he is about 8 miles from me. given that it is unknown how many moles he has.

I am still learning, so any feedback would be great

hello mate where is he , pm me if you like , i will not poach your customer but as i cover alot off norfolk it may be someone i have trapped for before and i could warn you off or recommend you go ahead . Its upto you , but it may save you alot of grief.

• 4 weeks later...

He reckons he's caught nearly 8000 moles in a year, at £10 a mole plus setting up fee, plus he's got time to be a hedge layer???, he must be minted!. I know a former Mole Catcher of the year and when I first got to know him I commented on how many he had caught. He admitted it was all made up. Each year there is a new mole catcher of the year with a crazy catch record. They just come up with a number that'll beat every one else and BINGO!, they get all this press publicity. Bloke I know was on the telly, radio and the papers, you just can't buy that kind of publicity. What makes me laugh is no one ever asks for any proof.

• Like 3

He reckons he's caught nearly 8000 moles in a year, at £10 a mole plus setting up fee, plus he's got time to be a hedge layer???, he must be minted!. I know a former Mole Catcher of the year and when I first got to know him I commented on how many he had caught. He admitted it was all made up. Each year there is a new mole catcher of the year with a crazy catch record. They just come up with a number that'll beat every one else and BINGO!, they get all this press publicity. Bloke I know was on the telly, radio and the papers, you just can't buy that kind of publicity. What makes me laugh is no one ever asks for any proof.

Do the maths. Those who trap know the time and figures they catch off a particular lump of land.