Who Is This Guy??

Anyone heard of a man named John Winch, it seems he knew Plummer years ago?

He was mentioned in a terrier article in CMW this week.

He was quoted as saying that the "Patterdale terrier " name as applied to the black dogs was invented in the 70's by a few guys with big ego's.

Does he even know that the Patterdale was in Ireland before that!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dont get involved in threads here much anymore,its gone to nasty for me,I've kept digging dogs a good while,but I never used the word Patterdale in my life,I always referred to them as black dogs,noth

If it wasn't for John which quite a few lads would have been locked up years ago . He helped the nwtf years ago as well as the fell & moorland. The man is an absolute gentleman who still in his t

People should be more concerned about how they work rather than breed names and colour

Anyone heard of a man named John Welch, it seems he knew Plummer years ago?

He was quoted as saying that the "Patterdale terrier " name as applied to the black dogs was invented in the 70's by a few guys with big ego's.

the patt was probs in Ireland before then but was it called a patt? Either way I'm sure nobody has the definitive answer.

is it not ment to be john winch a well known guy, think he was friends with plummer and he judges many shows in real life he's a barrister, must be a old man now.

You are correct, fixed that in the original post. John Winch, Barrister.

You would think that he would be a bit more careful with his words, as they say "words matter" and he might offend a lot of breeders.

Anyone heard of a man named John Welch, it seems he knew Plummer years ago?

the patt was probs in Ireland before then but was it called a patt? Either way I'm sure nobody has the definitive answer.

Rob,

This guy seems to know, he might even have visited the North of England once or twice. It is even possible that he owed terriers!

is it not ment to be john winch a well known guy, think he was friends with plummer and he judges many shows in real life he's a barrister, must be a old man now.

You would think that he would be a bit more careful with his words, as they say "words matter" and he might offend a lot of breeders.

Heaven forbid he offends somebody..

A lot of good men on have been breeding Patterdale Terriers for generations and are very proud of the pedigree.

Would be like a kick in the gut to find out that the name was wrong.

Probably might be best for the big breeders to write a letter to this man and tell him that he is wrong!

Anyone know which part of London he lives in?

• Like 1

John Winch QC as my mate calls him. From what I gather hes a respected man, further North than me, and has been on the terrier scene a long time.

PS. I also think he's the man that made Plummer's 'Fell Terrier' possible.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 4

If anyone was wanting to sound him out regarding his knowledge of the northern England working terrier types I would imagine he'll be officiating in some capacity at the DNWTC annual show in the coming weeks. He has since it's formation about 30 year ago and FMWTC before that. It's usually held in Blanchland these days, a small village just outside the M25

• Like 2

Rabbit hunter,Netmaker, Eastcoast,

Ye are starting to worry a few lads now, are ye saying that this man is very knowledgeable about the terriers of the North.

That he is in his later years and has lived up where these dogs originated all his life.

That he has hunted, bred and showed working terriers since his youth.

That he is a Barrister so no slouch in the brains department.

AND he thinks that the "Patterdale Terrier" name being used for the smooth black dogs is just some men's vanity made up in 1970.

JA$U$ lads, that serious. WHAT are we going to call them now?

• Like 1

Rabbit hunter,Netmaker, Eastcoast,

Ye are starting to worry a few lads now, are ye saying that this man is very knowledgeable about the terriers of the North.

That he is in his later years and has lived up where these dogs originated all his life.

That he has hunted, bred and showed working terriers since his youth.

That he is a Barrister so no slouch in the brains department.

AND he thinks that the "Patterdale Terrier" name being used for the smooth black dogs is just some men's vanity made up in 1970.

JA$U$ lads, that serious. WHAT are we going to call them now?

Fell terriers were they originated ha ha.

• Like 3

Heaven forbid he offends somebody..

A lot of good men on have been breeding Patterdale Terriers for generations and are very proud of the pedigree.

Would be like a kick in the gut to find out that the name was wrong.

Probably might be best for the big breeders to write a letter to this man and tell him that he is wrong!

Anyone know which part of London he lives in?

Haha your mental, i suggest you up yer dosage haha

Brilliant mucker.

Anyone heard of a man named John Winch, it seems he knew Plummer years ago?

Your at the wined up mate lol.

• Like 1

If it wasn't for John which quite a few lads would have been locked up years ago . He helped the nwtf years ago as well as the fell & moorland. The man is an absolute gentleman who still in his twighlight years helps people out with the laws involving terriers & hunting. I have full respect for him & what he does & has done .

• Like 9
FFS PD3 what would you know? :-)
I wonder who Mr Winch was referencing about the men with ego's back then?

Fells, Fells, Fells...... except for the smooth black one's that Nuttal developed?? :-)

Below are fells to me.

Joe Wear   Butcher

Sid Wilkinsons Rock

Red hairy types or broken types = Fells
Black hairy types or broken types = Fells or Patterdale which would depend on your persuasion
Smooth Black Type = Patterdale or Fell which would depend on your persuasion.
Black & Tan hairy or broken types = Lakey
Or could it just be as simple as black dog, red dog, white dog as most are just strains and various mixes of some or all of the above.
First instance I remember of patterdales being referenced (documented) is when I was a young kid was my friend who I dig with today had a book of dogs of the world which had both red and black patterdales. Smooth types and possibly grizzle if I can remember rightly. I would love to see this book today to see where the author got his reference from?
Also a very interesting post by PD3 was the breeding chart from Nuttal where the name patterdale was used on the chart as the type/breed and interestingly not fell? and most people would consider Nuttals as patterdales. What does he call them as he was a very important man in the scheme of things amongst others?
Edited by Corkman
  • Like 5