Fell X Whippet

a wheaten is the way to go lads if you want hardy little lurchers. :yes:

Like rocking horse shit to get a tested working one though

that cant be true. look at all the wheaten crosses that are about. :D . to be honest. a first cross over a whippet would be a better prospect. i bred a litter of fell / greyhounds back in the day and in hindsight i should of used my beddy/whippet. hard as nails and would work below in some style :icon_eek: . but i was young and trying to reinvent the wheel :blink:

never made anything special some came 25tts and a little bitch never made the 20 inch. most came to heavy to be honest . they where spread around the country to working homes . but nothing shined. the little bitch was the best prospect but was killed on the rd. would of liked to of seen a second cross. but wasnt to be.

Edited by hjckcff

I had a fell x whippet when I was a youngster, the fell was from Blackledge stock and the whippet a tiny little thing. It was gifted from a friend and was my ferreting companion for many a year . Got her when I was eleven and buried her when I was 26, spent the last 6 years as a lapdog for my Mam. She had a nose like a hound , a strike like an adder and just not quite enough speed to nail an open field rabbit. She hated squirrels and rats and killed many. Was a fabulous busher alongside my running dogs and dropped to ground a couple of times . A fell x Greyhound would be a handy dog :)

• Like 3

about 20 years ago I bred a Tony Lewis (Lyth) Whippet over a tough little Nuttal x Bolio gyp. Made me a "Point and shoot" varmint dog about 33 pounds in shape. I'll see if I can find a picture of him, some of the boys still have dogs down from him in Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Colorado. They are calling them snap dogs, but are really just tough, quick little lurchers.

Butch lost 3/4 of an ear to a coyote, so I cropped him short since it didn't want to heal right. He took everything from rats, rabbits, armodillos, coon, and went right with the stags into fox and coyote. He definitely never touched a jackrabbit (hare) but sure tried every time he saw one :)

I'll find a pic, he was a good looking dog with great personality. His dad was a top notch oval racer and open field courser, a big whippet about 35-40 pounds

*actually closer to 26 years ago, man time flies*

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

Johnyboy there's a few about .... Phil smalley the ratter works patt X whippetI bred a few three quarter crosses only 2 the owners kept in touch an both were happy with them, was it daniel Cain of here's mate had a litter few month back ? The bitch iv got here was fast enough for a few bunnies on the lamp, there good knock about little dogs

I had a fell x whippet when I was a youngster, the fell was from Blackledge stock and the whippet a tiny little thing. It was gifted from a friend and was my ferreting companion for many a year . Got her when I was eleven and buried her when I was 26, spent the last 6 years as a lapdog for my Mam. She had a nose like a hound , a strike like an adder and just not quite enough speed to nail an open field rabbit. She hated squirrels and rats and killed many. Was a fabulous busher alongside my running dogs and dropped to ground a couple of times . A fell x Greyhound would be a handy dog :)

I had one and you've pretty much described how she was for me.

She'd go to ground when told ,and come out to ,bolted loads .

But was a couple of yards too slow for anything that got up to speed .

A top size terrier to a good size grey would be a better option.

But whether I'd try another,I doubt it.

• Like 3