City And Guilds Pest Control

Hello all,

I have a small farm where I control the rats with traps and poison. I have now been caught by the legislation restricting sales of large quantities/cut wheat bait rat poison to qualified people. I had a stock bought before the new regs that has now run out and we are not "farm assured". Contacting my local agricultural college they advised that the most suitable short course they run is the "city and guilds, NTPC, Level 2 award in the safe use of pesticides for vertebrate pest control of rats and mice" to allow me to carry on controlling rats with poison. Reading the course details I see I am supposed to bring suitable PPE. I have contacted someone in the college offices to find out what that is but unfortunately they were a bit vague. I think it means Wellingtons, a disposable coverall and a facesheild. Could someone please advised to any more detailed specification please?

Many thanks.

Ask the college for a copy of the COSHH sheets for the substances you are going to be using, it's no good assuming what you will need.

Also the college will have a duty of care, part of that duty of care will be to inform you of the PPE requirements before coming into contact with any substances that could potentially cause you harm. All this should be made clear to you when you receive your induction.

• Like 2

Not sure why you would need a faceshield unless you're throwing the stuff around :laugh:. Protective gloves are the most important requirement with regards to safety from the rodenticide (and from diseases that the wee blighters might leave on things) . Some form of coverall and wellies are perhaps desirable and good practice but not strictly necessary, and a facemask (like one of those 'paper' filter ones) might be good practice if using a loose bait with powder on it in some limited circumstance but for most situations just not necessary. As far as I know gloves are the only PPE that is stipulated on the label of the rodenticides I've seen.

When I did an equivalent course I'm fairly sure we didn't need to use any equipment that we brought with us as we didn't do any live baiting. If you have wellies, coveralls, rubber gloves and a face mask I'd reckon you'll be ready for anything.

• Like 1

Could someone please advised to any more detailed specification please?

Thanks for your replies. Tried the college again and got the same vague not very helpful answers so I pretended to be my boss ( 'cos I am) and asked for a copy of the COSHH sheets "for the file". This earned me a call back from someone on the ball who gave proper details of what I needed.

Why dont you take the crru course that bpca runs it £130 in vat and you can do it on line

My head is spinning with all the regs, courses and acronyms so I could have got the wrong end of the stick here. However the only crru course I know about "updates" old qualifications to allow the holder to access poisons under the new regulations. So it is not enough on its own, and as I currently do not have any pest control qualifications not the answer to my problem.

You could always contact a local pest controller to do it for you, I do this type of thing in my area. Your local pco will know everything there is to know from the different anticoagulants and bait palitibilty right through to legislation. He can catch your moles, shoot your rabbits and trap your squirrels too. Just a thought.

You could always contact a local pest controller to do it for you, I do this type of thing in my area. Your local pco will know everything there is to know from the different anticoagulants and bait palitibilty right through to legislation. He can catch your moles, shoot your rabbits and trap your squirrels too. Just a thought.

This is probaly your answer , personally my work is increasing now , mostly small holdings and stables who tried to control the rodents themselves in the past.