False Earths

Im looking into building a few falsys on my land but have havnt any experience. I would be greatful to any advice ie best places too build them what best materials too use and would appreciate some pics. I know of a couple but have never known anything to use them. Cheers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unless in oz , then it's a M

W as in Why did I bother

I personally don't think getting a young dog to travel false/empty earth's do them no favours-I've waited 2 seasons to find a spot to try a bitch I bred-she's gone 3 yr old and yesterday her dam mark

Many different styles from blocks on edge to felled trees with a tarp over it .What they all have in common is they are situated where's its dry ,out the wind and undisturbed ,that's if its to hold at all.Depth does not seem to matter but the oven or sleeping area needs to be draft free .The best ive seen were of clay pipes with sleepers side by side a close second ,about 7 inches apart with entrance narrowed down.Concrete blocks rub the dog too much IMO but are handy as the topping ,spanning the roof length wise just in case a mid tube occasion arises .We put black thick polythene over the full length of the top to keep it dry then cover with soil. .A W shape seems to work best but straight runs to an oven hold as well but gives Charlie no out .Plastic pipes seem to hold but need a fair amount of weathering IMO.Used to put in one a year at one time but too old now lol.Floors to any of them need to be earth even plastic pipes.Ovens need to be about 18 inches square with a slab over that covers and then some .The hunt types were all built to allow a fox to bolt before getting stuck in a stop end ,all ovens had two entrances .

• Like 4

Im looking into building a few falsys on my land but have havnt any experience. I would be greatful to any advice ie best places too build them what best materials too use and would appreciate some pics. I know of a couple but have never known anything to use them. Cheers

Give Darcy a pm,that lad knows where to situate a useful holding spot.Ive been thankful to him a few times over the last few seasons and thats not having a knock D.

Many different styles from blocks on edge to felled trees with a tarp over it .What they all have in common is they are situated where's its dry ,out the wind and undisturbed ,that's if its to hold at all.Depth does not seem to matter but the oven or sleeping area needs to be draft free .The best ive seen were of clay pipes with sleepers side by side a close second ,about 7 inches apart with entrance narrowed down.Concrete blocks rub the dog too much IMO but are handy as the topping ,spanning the roof length wise just in case a mid tube occasion arises .We put black thick polythene over the full length of the top to keep it dry then cover with soil. .A W shape seems to work best but straight runs to an oven hold as well but gives Charlie no out .Plastic pipes seem to hold but need a fair amount of weathering IMO.Used to put in one a year at one time but too old now lol.Floors to any of them need to be earth even plastic pipes.Ovens need to be about 18 inches square with a slab over that covers and then some .The hunt types were all built to allow a fox to bolt before getting stuck in a stop end ,all ovens had two entrances .

I'd like to see your working Russell stick a couple of photos up will yae!!!

I'd like to see your working Russell stick a couple of photos up will yae!!!

I smell at rat.