Spring Rifles

A small question if I may. I have been into Air Rifles since I was a lad and have never given up on them.

I am however having a small issue over spring riffles. I have been shooting PCP Rifles for what feels a life time. I want to start shooting a springer now and again and am stuck on which one to spend my hard earned cash on.

Any suggestions on which one would be good for Rat work would be most grateful.

• Like 1

i do a fair bit of rat bashing and if i were to use a springer id be looking at a break barrel due to the weight saving over the underlever's !

I've got a few pcp's but I'm favouring the break barrel now for most of my hunting...

id go into a shop and pick a few up cos some of them are bloody heavy and not much fun lugging about.

atb si

• Like 4

I have only bought a springer last year and found it very difficult to shoot compared to my PCP rifles. The gun I bought was a TX200 which now that charlie caller has tuned it, is very accurate but heavy and finicky pellet loading so I would not use it in the dark.

I have not tried a break barrel for many many years but they are in the main, lighter. Must confess that I fancy looking for a break barrel to play with myself.

Phil

• Like 1

My favourite is my TX200hc .22. It spits out FAPs flat and fast (for a .22) and, because they're a light, soft pellet, they deliver a good hit.

The TX isn't light but, I like that - for me, it helps with stability when I squeeze the trigger. However, that weight also means that, unless you're using some form of support, you can't hang around on target for too long before the wobbles really kick in.

One of the best bits of advice I was given when I was learning to shoot this was 'Don't dilly dally. When the shot's on, take it'. It takes practice and, I've had some f***ing appalling practice sessions but, I'm getting there :)

I haven't used it on rats yet but, it's made a mess of a couple of Woodys and a squirrel.

For me, this is my 1 true keeper :thumbs:

....... my .177 HW97kt is a very close second.

Heavy springers aren't everyones taste so, to fall back on the standard comment - you really need t try a few and see what suits you best.

Good luck with the search :thumbs:

• Like 1

My favourite is my TX200hc .22. It spits out FAPs flat and fast (for a .22) and, because they're a light, soft pellet, they deliver a good hit.

The TX isn't light but, I like that - for me, it helps with stability when I squeeze the trigger. However, that weight also means that, unless you're using some form of support, you can't hang around on target for too long before the wobbles really kick in.

One of the best bits of advice I was given when I was learning to shoot this was 'Don't dilly dally. When the shot's on, take it'. It takes practice and, I've had some f***ing appalling practice sessions but, I'm getting there :)

I haven't used it on rats yet but, it's made a mess of a couple of Woodys and a squirrel.

For me, this is my 1 true keeper :thumbs:

....... my .177 HW97kt is a very close second.

Heavy springers aren't everyones taste so, to fall back on the standard comment - you really need t try a few and see what suits you best.

Good luck with the search :thumbs:

It's funny that as my HM uses exacts, which are like play doe, and it doesn't knock anything down like my other two spitting hard H&N's.