Smallest Working Patterdales

First dog i ever dug was a tiny bitch called tiger from rochdale

9 10lb bitch.

She was brindle and ugly as sin.

But she was still getting collard up at 12 year old.

She died in rockpile after 2 days of heavy rain.

Was offered to underkeeper and he nocked it back as pup.

Said was biggest mistake in dogs.

The bitch was fitted to a particular type of ground. Small earths.

Was owned P. stead lancashire

She earnt a place in a few guys memorys.

Picture to follow

was it out of a bitch called cracker?

It may have been i was young at the time. Maybe 13-14 she would of been 11 12 then.

Do you know of the bitch mate?

Been dead a good 15-17 year.

Dunno if p.stead still keeps blackens . Been many years too. Atb

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd give my right nut for another one like her, small enough to get there, strong enough to do the job

There wasn't a fox safe in the country, she's 12 years old now and still does her bit, priceless.

Small enough to get and strong enough to stay.atb dc

Posted Images

I think you're either ball-hoping or spoiling for an arguement Neil. You know full well there was great working white terriers in Ireland down through the years. I have seen some crackin hunt terriers of this type. Great dogs of the past should be remembered eg. Sam, small Jack, the general, Rex 'the blindman' of Tom O'Reillys line, just to name a few. Just like Im sure ye remember the likes of Smithy, Mick, Monty, Simon etc. & so ye should! Tom's line is still working well today. There was also good white dogs in other counties Wexford, Waterford, Limerick etc. Id hazard a quess in every county in Ireland. It is wrong to say otherwise. When the Fell/Patterdale terriers first came to Ireland many countrymen gave up their white, non descript, ugly, mongrel, mixer stay all day terriers they took for granted, for the big headed, powerful, athletic, handsome, tear into em, hard, up & on coloured terriers, which initially seemed so superior. Many of which jacked after a few years or could not work too long in ground due to their gung ho attitude or were in the sick bay too much for too long. Many lads lamented & regretted leaving their old stock which unfortunately by then had died out or werent around in numbers to continue the line. At the same time to be fair good quality Fells came over & earned themselves a well deserved reputation. And are still worked in many a good kennel over here today as Im sure you also know full well. But to suggest great little white terriers didnt exist in Ireland or that the terriermen were sub-standard is totally wrong in my opinion.

I spent a half an hour on the phone yesterday to Toms son, he's a good friend of mine.

You have totally mistaken what I'm saying.

I'm not knocking any breed of terrier nor am I knocking any terriermen.

Who I am knocking is those who contribute to any discussion on terriers by telling us that they had one years ago (it's usually toothless, blind and was still pulling out foxes and badgers at 16 years of age) and it would put modern terriers to shame.

I'm not talking about the breed but the individual terrier that lads bring up in conversations that IMO either never existed or if they did exist they were average at best. The lads who always bring up these legendary individual terriers are nearly always the same type who stand at a dig with their hands in their pockets ,telling you were to dig and what you're doing wrong.

I've already clarified that I know there's lads with good white terriers today.

• Like 7

No apology needed.

You're obviously very passionate about your choice of worker.

Seen and had some very good white bodied terriers,wont call them JR as they were a mix but still they done the job,Neil actually seen a dug over 1 of them a scruffy little blacknwhite dog called Butch,ugly as f**k but a good dog to dig with,sadly killed by 2 black terriers that turned out to be shite work wise.I dont actually know of any white terriers around my neck of the woods now but i reckon there is still some good kennells of them about the country.

• Like 2

I think you're either ball-hoping or spoiling for an arguement Neil. You know full well there was great working white terriers in Ireland down through the years. I have seen some crackin hunt terriers of this type. Great dogs of the past should be remembered eg. Sam, small Jack, the general, Rex 'the blindman' of Tom O'Reillys line, just to name a few. Just like Im sure ye remember the likes of Smithy, Mick, Monty, Simon etc. & so ye should! Tom's line is still working well today. There was also good white dogs in other counties Wexford, Waterford, Limerick etc. Id hazard a quess in every county in Ireland. It is wrong to say otherwise. When the Fell/Patterdale terriers first came to Ireland many countrymen gave up their white, non descript, ugly, mongrel, mixer stay all day terriers they took for granted, for the big headed, powerful, athletic, handsome, tear into em, hard, up & on coloured terriers, which initially seemed so superior. Many of which jacked after a few years or could not work too long in ground due to their gung ho attitude or were in the sick bay too much for too long. Many lads lamented & regretted leaving their old stock which unfortunately by then had died out or werent around in numbers to continue the line. At the same time to be fair good quality Fells came over & earned themselves a well deserved reputation. And are still worked in many a good kennel over here today as Im sure you also know full well. But to suggest great little white terriers didnt exist in Ireland or that the terriermen were sub-standard is totally wrong in my opinion.

I think its the fact nan pat says todays dogs are inferior to yesteryears, he must've only seen poor examples of black dogs, just like some people have only seen poor examples of white dogs.

ime on about the size of them.some i seen were to big you be lucky spanning their heads never mind their chests.

• Like 1

Do yas think the black dogs working success will be its ruination?

Pet home pedlars will be the ruination IMO they are to popular with the street walkers, loads of "patterdales" round about me. They call any black terrier type a Patterdale !!!

Do yas think the black dogs working success will be its ruination?

Pet home pedlars will be the ruination IMO they are to popular with the street walkers, loads of "patterdales" round about me. They call any black terrier type a Patterdale !!!

your right Ive seen a fair few pet owned ones, and owners complaining about them chasing other animals

9 10lb bitch.

Picture to follow

was it out of a bitch called cracker?

It may have been i was young at the time. Maybe 13-14 she would of been 11 12 then.

Do you know of the bitch mate?

Been dead a good 15-17 year.

Dunno if p.stead still keeps blackens . Been many years too. Atb

didnt know the bitch ,,,but i knew the parents if it was same one

9 10lb bitch.

Picture to follow

remember p working this terrier when we were out with hounds, long time ago now,

9 10lb bitch.

Picture to follow

remember p working this terrier when we were out with hounds, long time ago now,

• 1 month later...