Bull/whip For Rabbiting/ferreting.

I've got a three quarters bred only still a pup at 8 months but has been ferreting a few times and starting to catch on.Great nose and has begun to mark properly,he can certainly move and can jump for England which is a struggle to prevent him overdoing himself.

post-101633-0-92985800-1483906637_thumb.png

• Like 8

Lovely looking dog hedgecrawler.

I have one here, first cross. Stone mad lol. He's into everything. He's only 4 months yet so very early days. By looking at him now he's gonna be a very strong dog. Will have to wait till I get someone here to help me upload pics.

Thanks for replying.

Atb j.

Sorry to but in on this...

But how is the best way to trai them to mark warrens?

FF

I don't really think this is something that can be trained in the dog as such, although like everything else when it comes to training, positive reinforcement for a good mark won't hurt.

You will learn to recognise the dogs mark in the same way you know when it's time to lift your ferrets - they behave in a certain way. Mabel will physically stick her head down a hole with good scent (and if the hole is big enough half her torso too) so it's an obvious one, other dogs may be a bit more subtle. Have a look at the 2 videos I put up in the write ups section, I've shown her marking on both of them.

I'm by no means experienced working dogs over ferrets (my knobhead has only been out 3 times) but any hole she has shown an interest in has produced bunnies and anything she has ignored has been empty.

I would say get the dog out there and see what it does, how it behaves around the holes and learn what to watch for after your ferrets price if the mark was good or not

Edited by Jax13
  • Like 1

I've got a three quarters bred only still a pup at 8 months but has been ferreting a few times and starting to catch on.Great nose and has begun to mark properly,he can certainly move and can jump for England which is a struggle to prevent him overdoing himself.

Nice mutt seen a few of these over the years good dogs A.T.B

my sort of dog that.nice..

FF

I don't really think this is something that can be trained in the dog as such, although like everything else when it comes to training, positive reinforcement for a good mark won't hurt.

You will learn to recognise the dogs mark in the same way you know when it's time to lift your ferrets - they behave in a certain way. Mabel will physically stick her head down a hole with good scent (and if the hole is big enough half her torso too) so it's an obvious one, other dogs may be a bit more subtle. Have a look at the 2 videos I put up in the write ups section, I've shown her marking on both of them.

I'm by no means experienced working dogs over ferrets (my knobhead has only been out 3 times) but any hole she has shown an interest in has produced bunnies and anything she has ignored has been empty.

I would say get the dog out there and see what it does, how it behaves around the holes and learn what to watch for after your ferrets price if the mark was good or not

I would avoid positive reinforcement when a dog marks fella, he could end marking every bury in the field thinking he is doing you proud.

Nothing but experience will teach him...

• Like 1

FF

I would avoid positive reinforcement when a dog marks fella, he could end marking every bury in the field thinking he is doing you proud.

Nothing but experience will teach him...

A fair enough point.

I'll give her a kick in the fanny if she gives a false mark to balance it out!!!

• Like 2

Apologies but can I hijack this thread a little rather than start a very similar topic.

I have had lurchers most of my life but have always used them for lamping or daytime coursing. As times (and unfortunately laws) change I no longer run a dog and have started ferreting with just nets. However, as most single handed ferreting men/women know, there comes a point when you could really do with a good dog, especially when ferreting long hedgerows.

So I decided to look into getting a ferreting dog but my issue comes with what people suggest I need and want my personal preference is...I really like bull x's , ive had a few and I have a retired half x (who cant be trusted with the ferrets) at the moment who is the best natured dog ive ever owned so I really have a preference for a bit of bull in any future dog I own. But when I suggest to some other ferreting folk that I want to get a bull x type for ferreting they scoff at me and suggest a collie/grey or beddy/grey as bull x's aren't intelligent enough and are too hard mouthed.

So, for a man that wants a bit of bull in his lurcher what's the best options for a good ferreting dog?

collie grey x bull grey ?

Thats what I have he has a bit of every thing. No idiot for sure and good around the nets with a superb nose :thumbs:

31235348274_d11bf41a0c_c.jpg

30729427574_94298ea2dd_c.jpg

any issues with him have been 99.9% my fault and nothing to do with ferreting but there you go. Live and learn :)

Coming on well with age now

Edited by terryd

collie grey x bull grey ?

Thats what I have he has a bit of every thing. No idiot for sure and good around the nets with a superb nose :thumbs:

31235348274_d11bf41a0c_c.jpg

30729427574_94298ea2dd_c.jpg

any issues with him have been 99.9% my fault and nothing to do with ferreting but there you go. Live and learn :)

Coming on well with age now

He's a stunner mate.

Apologies but can I hijack this thread a little rather than start a very similar topic.

I have had lurchers most of my life but have always used them for lamping or daytime coursing. As times (and unfortunately laws) change I no longer run a dog and have started ferreting with just nets. However, as most single handed ferreting men/women know, there comes a point when you could really do with a good dog, especially when ferreting long hedgerows.

So I decided to look into getting a ferreting dog but my issue comes with what people suggest I need and want my personal preference is...I really like bull x's , ive had a few and I have a retired half x (who cant be trusted with the ferrets) at the moment who is the best natured dog ive ever owned so I really have a preference for a bit of bull in any future dog I own. But when I suggest to some other ferreting folk that I want to get a bull x type for ferreting they scoff at me and suggest a collie/grey or beddy/grey as bull x's aren't intelligent enough and are too hard mouthed.

So, for a man that wants a bit of bull in his lurcher what's the best options for a good ferreting dog?

my half crosses and 5/8 3/8 would all work with ferrets and retrieve to hand although not live to hand after working teeth. I always thought my half cross bitch back to a good whippet would be handy dogs for all rounders but never did the mating.