Advice

So it's got to this. Basically, the old mans coming up for Christmas and a new rifle is on the list. It's an important choice to me as whatever I buy with him will be with me for the rest of my time on this rock. He bought me into the world of shooting and so whatever I choose is an item I'll keep. He's touching 80. You catch my drift.

HW80 .22 or HW98 .177

Considerations are. I've had a 98 in .177. Damn good. Proper damn good. Miss it actually. Love the adjustable cheek piece and so on. Or. HW80 in .22. Not had one, think one would suit me. But. Have a 97 in .22 and that's the standard of a spring airgun. Why get another twenty two.

You lot are gay, but at times you do speak words of wisdom, many a time actually. Apart from you Si :D (xx)

Thoughts?

• Like 1

If your dad is touching 80 Rez, then weight and ease of cocking may have to play a part in this situation. Also ease of actually loading the pellet and .22 might be better for him to hold / load.

My shooting friend of many years is 81 in a couple of weeks although you would place him in his early 70's so we are not aging the same, I am a perfect example, if you saw me, well you might place me in my late 30's............................or not. The point I am making is buy a rifle which not only suits you but one he can actually use easily.

Phil

• Like 1

Never tried a 98 but have a short stroked tuned up 80 in .22 its a real peach but the mine is 36 years old and looks it, I also spent over 3 hours polishing the internals .

I have a tuned 95 in .22 that would be much easier to carry around all day then an 80 but you have underleavers and the 80 is no worse than them .

Since I have joined this forum you have made constant reference to wanting an 80 its obviously an itch that you will need to scratch at some Point so why not now ? I also get the impression you like buying new, I would say of all guns the 80 is one of the safest bets second hand but you see a lot of minters for sale so....

• Like 1

Never tried a 98 but have a short stroked tuned up 80 in .22 its a real peach but the mine is 36 years old and looks it, I also spent over 3 hours polishing the internals .

I have a tuned 95 in .22 that would be much easier to carry around all day then an 80 but you have underleavers and the 80 is no worse than them .

Since I have joined this forum you have made constant reference to wanting an 80 its obviously an itch that you will need to scratch at some Point so why not now ? I also get the impression you like buying new, I would say of all guns the 80 is one of the safest bets second hand but you see a lot of minters for sale so....

On paper the 80 has the wrong dimensions for sub 12ftp but with very little modifications the extra mass can be an advantage .

Get the 98 in .177 then when your Mrs is carrying and you've no time to go hunting, you can compete with paper punching.

Then get an 80 when the toddler is keeping your Missus busy and you can escape outside

You must be near 30 now and she will have started on about kids, 'cos all her friends have them.

But I think the 80 will become your daily driver.

• Like 2

Hmmmm. I like the cut of your jib dear sir.