Tight Places

Was out with dogs on a piece of land that holds fox . I was just mooching about when the dogs sprang one from long grass it made its escape in to a rabbit Warren I had no spade or collars on the dogs it was about ten yards in front of the dogs when it entered the dogs tried to dig in but with no help from me we would of been there all week

post-96686-0-56834700-1480194988_thumb.jpg

post-96686-0-24843500-1480195080_thumb.jpg

post-96686-0-99608300-1480195092_thumb.jpg

Edited by leethedog
  • Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got lucky. A fox in tight place, terriers loose with no collars on and no shovel to hand can often result in tears..

I'd a black bitch in the 90s that was only 10 months old she'd never seen anything. I was out walking her on land I thought I knew well, she put a fox out of a double ditch and chased it over a hill.

Lead walking on all land you mean, you only think you know places well until you have a terrier running loose one day and it disappears only for you to find its working away underground somewhere you'

Posted Images

I is a lesson I have taken on board but don't get me wrong once I realised the there was no way none of them could fit in the pup was leaded and both the Russell and the black dog I let to have a little dig but yeah it's lead walking on that land from now on

Lead walking on all land you mean, you only think you know places well until you have a terrier running loose one day and it disappears only for you to find its working away underground somewhere you've walked past 100 times. It only takes the one time to be caught out. The only time I've a terrier of the lead is with a collar on it

• Like 6

I'd a black bitch in the 90s that was only 10 months old she'd never seen anything. I was out walking her on land I thought I knew well, she put a fox out of a double ditch and chased it over a hill. I found her nearly an hour later in a 3 eyed place deep in undergrowth that I didn't know was there before. Only found it because it was in the direction she'd ran and I could hear her from where I was walking past from one of the entrances. I rang my mate at the time and he was on his way home from work on the motorway it took him another hour to get home get tools and get to me, all while I stood there useless in the pissing rain listening to the bitch hoping for a bolt and even hoping she'd come off. It's wonderful at times when your on your own some of the mad things that would go threw your head. Anyway the help I needed arrived and we got the bitch out thankfully and a good bitch Penny turned out to be. I learned a valuable lesson that day and I was lucky.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 10

I'd a black bitch in the 90s that was only 10 months old she'd never seen anything. I was out walking her on land I thought I knew well, she put a fox out of a double ditch and chased it over a hill. I found her nearly an hour later in a 3 eyed place deep in undergrowth that I didn't know was there before. Only found it because it was in the direction she'd ran and I could hear her from where I was walking past from one of the entrances. I rang my mate at the time and he was on his way home from work on the motorway it took him another hour to get home get tools and get to me, all while I stood there useless in the pissing rain listening to the bitch hoping for a bolt and even hoping she'd come off. It's wonderful at times when your on your own some of the mad things that would go threw your head. Anyway the help I needed arrived and we got the bitch out thankfully and a good bitch Penny turned out to be. I learned a valuable lesson that day and I was lucky.

thats it mate, it catches you by the bollix, lol I've had it happen before too
  • Like 1

Was out with dogs on a piece of land that holds fox . I was just mooching about when the dogs sprang one from long grass it made its escape in to a rabbit Warren I had no spade or collars on the dogs it was about ten yards in front of the dogs when it entered the dogs tried to dig in but with no help from me we would of been there all week

How did the fox get in?.

How did the fox get in?.
f**k knows to be honest but it did didn't even seem to change pace and to be honest my heart was in my mouth I shit myself had visions of all 3 dogs pushing one another up tight into it Edited by leethedog

Lead walking on all land you mean, you only think you know places well until you have a terrier running loose one day and it disappears only for you to find its working away underground somewhere you've walked past 100 times. It only takes the one time to be caught out. The only time I've a terrier of the lead is with a collar on it

Made this mistake once and got away with it luckily, never again if off the lead collar is on??
  • Like 1

Some see a panic ,others I'm sure would relish the inopportune hunt and ring a mate for a spade .A fox ,any size fox will get where no terrier can follow mate so don't think your mutts failed rather you for not persevering .By digging to a mark you would of found your fox if you have the digging there .Walking dogs off lead ,working dogs anyhow always carries a risk but we still do it .We were ratting on a farm a while back and I thought I knew all the earths but after we finished we ran my two terriers and a lurcher in the field out back farmers house to clean them all off and the lurcher ran a fox into a top soil heap in the dark ,into a one holder in nettles .The only tool we found was a grain shovel and we had him after a slog of a dig .Running terriers loose on a patch you know can't be as bad as ground you don't know ,at worse you have a dog dropped in to a known earth that's holding or an unknown earth that ain't that bad .It boils down to the way you hunt . Big bad spots are known and the appropriate steps taken .I've seen many foxes drop in rabbit spots but don't remember many that lived another day .

The only time i have a terrier on a leash is to and from hunting ground,then they are released,often 3 or more.Do accidents happen? certainly,do i walk past quarry that a leashed terrier misses?,possibly not.Ive lost more terriers that saw work from the restrictions of a leash than i have that where less restricted.I like to know the lie of the land and hunt accordingly and often source a factor that was not present the times ive hunted it before.Every time a terrier is taken out there is a probability it will not come home,leashed or free and we have to take that into the equation and accept that as fate or desist from hunting.I work them free and take "me chances",others restrict them and take theirs.

• Like 2