Tight Places

Your asking for trouble having 3 terriers of any breed off lose FD not just Beddies ATB RT happens when you have bushing terriers bushing

There are Bedlingtons and then there are other Bedlingtons.In over 30 years ive never lost terriers entering as pairs and have purposely entered them at times,ive lost my share of individuals entering.The main things to take into consideration,know the lie of the land and know your charges and how they work,alone or together.

hi can i ask why you would enter two dogs to ground is there something to be gained by this, personally i think it causes more problems than it cures.

At times it happens as a result of the terriers bushing ahead of you,at other times ive extracted a fox or many more out of massive rock piles,terriers entered at different spots and working different parts of the pile,sometimes the same fox eventually.It does cause problems and thats a fact,a terrier pushing another on or chewing its arse.Another fact i find is that 2 is often better than one.I know my mutts and ive never had a major problem working mine this way,ever.It was once common practice,especially in the Dales and Fells when terrier folk knew their trade,its frowned upon now by the majority.Are terrier folk more learned now ?.
its not frowned upon its just not done mate. Terriers should enter stay and be dug to single handed. No ifs no buts no excuses
  • Like 4

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got lucky. A fox in tight place, terriers loose with no collars on and no shovel to hand can often result in tears..

I'd a black bitch in the 90s that was only 10 months old she'd never seen anything. I was out walking her on land I thought I knew well, she put a fox out of a double ditch and chased it over a hill.

Lead walking on all land you mean, you only think you know places well until you have a terrier running loose one day and it disappears only for you to find its working away underground somewhere you'

Posted Images

Your asking for trouble having 3 terriers of any breed off lose FD not just Beddies ATB RT happens when you have bushing terriers bushing

There are Bedlingtons and then there are other Bedlingtons.In over 30 years ive never lost terriers entering as pairs and have purposely entered them at times,ive lost my share of individuals entering.The main things to take into consideration,know the lie of the land and know your charges and how they work,alone or together.

hi can i ask why you would enter two dogs to ground is there something to be gained by this, personally i think it causes more problems than it cures.

At times it happens as a result of the terriers bushing ahead of you,at other times ive extracted a fox or many more out of massive rock piles,terriers entered at different spots and working different parts of the pile,sometimes the same fox eventually.It does cause problems and thats a fact,a terrier pushing another on or chewing its arse.Another fact i find is that 2 is often better than one.I know my mutts and ive never had a major problem working mine this way,ever.It was once common practice,especially in the Dales and Fells when terrier folk knew their trade,its frowned upon now by the majority.Are terrier folk more learned now ?.
its not frowned upon its just not done mate. Terriers should enter stay and be dug to single handed. No ifs no buts no excuses

Another example of the kennels terriers reside in now,throw a fat mute dog in,get the bleeper out and dig.Geez.

How do you dig to a terrier when you cannot dig to it Einstein?.

Jake824 it's different dogs for different ground.. when you work the quarrys you don't want a mute dog on the piles as you carnt here out, an you carnt dig most of the place . But some folk on here will slag each other off especially when they no nothing of the ground others hunt.. Must be a pleasure to have nothing but soil earths to dig ..as some folk arnt that lucky .. You have to work your dogs whichever suites the ground you work..

• Like 3

Jake824 it's different dogs for different ground.. when you work the quarrys you don't want a mute dog on the piles as you carnt here out, an you carnt dig most of the place . But some folk on here will slag each other off especially when they no nothing of the ground others hunt.. Must be a pleasure to have nothing but soil earths to dig ..as some folk arnt that lucky .. You have to work your dogs whichever suites the ground you work..

i m well aware of rock piles and quarry faces I ve kept terriers for long enough. I don t keep mute dogs either, that was morton s opinion on myself. I m not slagging anyone off either I just don t see why multiple terriers are entered. So do you double and treble dogs yourself ?
  • Like 2

lads its all about results at the end of the day . What works for one man might not suit the other man . We learn stuff every time we are out with the terriers because you might dig a spot one way one day and totally the opposite the next its why we love it so much . Let the man learn let the man fail but I know one thing we will be back the next day to do it all again drive and boys and keep hunting

So thanks to locators the terrier has never been in such a strong position. Being used single handed and dug to a conclusion everytime. I'd say we're blessed to have such things as the Bellmans.

Terriers still has to find and stay it's not all about the locator,locators just an aid to the diggers terriers still has to be up to the job

Edited by downsview
  • Like 3