Fb. Youtube And Revoking Licenses.

Not mentioning names but those who follow the various shooting groups on f*ckbook will know what I'm referring to. Its not a pop at the individual but a good case for discussion.

So this person is very forthcoming with information whilst climbing up on the YouTube glory box.

His life documented on FB using his real name. I see forums a little different as folk hide behind the anonymity of avatars and usernames.

Anyway. The lad gets his house broken into and his firearms stolen. The thieves then took off in a stolen car. This is during the afternoon.

Making my own assumptions. I would say it was a targeted and organised theft.

Pictures of the broken gun cabinet looked like they knew what they were doing.

The car and firearms were recovered. I don't know if anyone was caught.

Now this is the second theft of firearms in my area I'm aware of within 12 month.

Worrying to say the least.

The question is. Should folk who broadcast too much information about their firearms over social media be reprimanded?

There's talk that some people have had their licenses revoked at renewal as the firearms licensing took a dim view of what they put on social media. How true this is, is questionable.

I know the theft was beyond his control. The firearms were stored as required in an approved cabinet and his house broken into.

What's your thoughts?

Hmm, I don't know the situation as stay off facebook hunting groups but ,people will know you have guns but they rarely get stolen ,I suppose it's widening the audience and therefore attracting the criminal element .

If your a licence holder ,you were supposed to be a responsible and law abiding citizen so if they are posting shit on media like for example drugs or shooting stuff they not supposed to ,or even maybe glorifying it to much then they are going to get attention and the police will take notice.

No idea who or what he was posting up but it does depend on what is posted, if it is just someone basically saying I shoot then no, he should not be reprimanded for someone else breaking the law. If he gave pics of the cabinets location then sure, he should be reprimanded.

If you start saying anyone going public showing they own guns and then gets a break in are at fault where then do you stop ? George Digweed should be reprimanded because he is in the public eye and gets a break in, what about the local paper reporting on rifle club or clay shoot competitions ?

We shouldn't have to hide or apologise for our sport,to us its as normal as going to the pictures or playing rugby on a weekend and people freely post about that, the more people act normally about shooting and promote it then it helps slow down the ignorance spreading.

If he was posting up stuff showing things which would be a reason to revoke a cert then of course he should be reprimanded.

• Like 7

Absolutely not! Having to hide ourselves from the sight of society is one incremental step towards a total ban. Frankly we should be pushing back and making our presence felt in a matter of fact and positive way. The individual firearms licensing authorities would love for us to voluntarily enforce this attitude so they can then start demanding it as one of their self imposed rules. Personally I wouldn't give them an inch.

• Like 4

Absolutely not! Having to hide ourselves from the sight of society is one incremental step towards a total ban. Frankly we should be pushing back and making our presence felt in a matter of fact and positive way. The individual firearms licensing authorities would love for us to voluntarily enforce this attitude so they can then start demanding it as one of their self imposed rules. Personally I wouldn't give them an inch.

Completely agree but keeping what guns you own to yourself and not sharing them on facebook especially when living in an urban environment in just been discreet and responsible. Iv heared stories of people falling out and guns been mentioned to cause the owners problems.

• Like 1

Completely agree but keeping what guns you own to yourself and not sharing them on facebook especially when living in an urban environment in just been discreet and responsible. Iv heared stories of people falling out and guns been mentioned to cause the owners problems.

I understand your view however personally I don't think we should have to hide what firearms we have. If people want to share pictures of them hunting medium to large game then it's obviously inferred that they have a full-bore rifle of a suitable caliber, I don't really see how people can hide that without hiding what they are.

My local force seems to think that I should dismantle my guns and transport them to my vehicle in a sports bag or some other non shooting bag so as my neighbours don't know I own guns. Personally I think that's ridiculous. How long until I'm not allowed to butcher game in my yard because that might suggest I own guns. Am I allowed to have a friendly chat about what I did at the weekend with locals I only know to say hello to? What about restricting my clothing and dogs and vehicle choice in case that shows ne'er do wells that I might hold guns in my property? We shouldn't be expected to hide the fact that we are countrymen/hunters/shooters for frankly unreasonable safety concerns.

I'd like to see the police force's evidence to support all of their policies because as I understand most of this stuff is little more than the tyrannical will of a chief constable on whatever they might consider best for public safety.

Here's a point to ponder; seeing as ammunition is treated almost as restrictively as an actual firearm how many times have stolen ammunition been used in crime? So bearing that in mind, what's the evidence based justification for the heavy restrictions of ammo use and possession? It's all just hypothetical and speculative but we accept it because it 'seems reasonable'?

Well that was a bit of an essay, lol. I'm not having a go at you fella. :D:thumbs:

• Like 2

I understand your view however personally I don't think we should have to hide what firearms we have. If people want to share pictures of them hunting medium to large game then it's obviously inferred that they have a full-bore rifle of a suitable caliber, I don't really see how people can hide that without hiding what they are.

My local force seems to think that I should dismantle my guns and transport them to my vehicle in a sports bag or some other non shooting bag so as my neighbours don't know I own guns. Personally I think that's ridiculous. How long until I'm not allowed to butcher game in my yard because that might suggest I own guns. Am I allowed to have a friendly chat about what I did at the weekend with locals I only know to say hello to? What about restricting my clothing and dogs and vehicle choice in case that shows ne'er do wells that I might hold guns in my property? We shouldn't be expected to hide the fact that we are countrymen/hunters/shooters for frankly unreasonable safety concerns.

I'd like to see the police force's evidence to support all of their policies because as I understand most of this stuff is little more than the tyrannical will of a chief constable on whatever they might consider best for public safety.

Here's a point to ponder; seeing as ammunition is treated almost as restrictively as an actual firearm how many times have stolen ammunition been used in crime? So bearing that in mind, what's the evidence based justification for the heavy restrictions of ammo use and possession? It's all just hypothetical and speculative but we accept it because it 'seems reasonable'?

Well that was a bit of an essay, lol. I'm not having a go at you fella. :D:thumbs:

Completely agree! But old shooting friend I used to know was open about his guns with everyone and through no fault of his own had his guns removed for 8 months through some scumbag talking rubbish about him. Made me very careful after that as they are an important part of my life. Pretty sad carry on it was! He was living in an urban area with a few bad folk round him unfortunately.

I was done over by been kind enough to help someone out by sharing some land with someone without any, they then took loads of strangers on and even charged someone to shoot there!

Glad I moved away from that area but still now keep myself to myself shooting wise

• Like 1

Completely agree! But old shooting friend I used to know was open about his guns with everyone and through no fault of his own had his guns removed for 8 months through some scumbag talking rubbish about him. Made me very careful after that as they are an important part of my life. Pretty sad carry on it was! He was living in an urban area with a few bad folk round him unfortunately.

I was done over by been kind enough to help someone out by sharing some land with someone without any, they then took loads of strangers on and even charged someone to shoot there!

Glad I moved away from that area but still now keep myself to myself shooting wise

Oh yeah pragmatically I'm very careful as to not give the lovely people at firearms licensing a reason to take my guns, even if I do consider them to be tyrants! :laugh:

Ideologically though...... I'll protest to whoever will listen! LOL

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

imo its a sport that needs promoting and growth.the guys who take the time to film there completely legal hobby for others to enjoy should never be punished.shooting standards/humane kills have improved through the sharing of knowledge.if anything at worst the police need to advise these guys to up security as they increase the likelihood of being targeted.imo a very serious house alarm should be a must but its not.perhaps the answer is if your going to post on open sites the security has to be grade a.i have 2 bell boxes on my house.a noise alarm in the room my guns are kept in and a separate safe for bolts and a separate safe for ammo.the door has a lock on it.and all the keys are kept under my pillow where no one will ever find them.

I have seen the videos mentioned and the pics of the gun safe now the videos have never given away the address of the house or location of the safe just himself and a member on here that has commented on this post out in the field doing some great shooting. It's the same as the digweed case unfortunately the scumbags found the safe and got in. But they then mentioned on the social media front and made the crime well known so the guns were too hot to handle as it were and in both case retuned to the owner.

The police can't really say they acted unlawfully giving address and showing where the gunsafe was located and when would be a good time to visit. If the criminals wanted a gun they could just follow you home from a gunshop and wait till you have gone out