Success! In The (End).

What an eventful night the first half driving and checking a few spots and then finally took a walk and got a rabbit on the first run. I am trying to get the bitch to really start getting the correct approach on squatter's and working the beam properly - this wasn't the case. A few times when called on she just flew off with excitement and didn't even follow the lamp! But that is to be expected of an inexperienced dog on a recently planted field that the rabbits used very well, it was little long really, so 3 more very good runs that all went close, in general a positive start to the lamping.

I was out with the old man he really is shit hot on the lamp, We cracked on and the bitch knocked over a couple more bunny's a superb strike all in one motion on the run, I have seen the bitch do this before sort of goes past the rabbit cutting of its escape and picks it up in one. I was buzzing and impressed by the youngster but then.... Ran another bunny unlucky and fair play it deserved to survive, the rabbit dropped into a little gully and the dog hunted on when the lamp went off crashing through the brush like a tit, Was absolutely screwing and gutted with this behavior, the bitch got a good telling off and I was going to jack the night in. We carried on a little then the night changed. After her discipline the bitch was soon doing as she should and started becoming a little more responsive, Picking off sitter's and being a bit calmer and patient she started working the beam a little better and knocked over a couple more over.

Great lamping from the old boy looking for squatters, we were hand picking the best ones and the bitch started to really slow the approach down and took a couple within a few of strides of them leaving the ground...at last she was getting there! She really did take some of these rabbits well. In the end a fantastic learning curve with some highs and lows but in the end a SUCCESS!

80F87B74-0C52-4C95-8AC3-B19018FC8916_zps

• Like 14

Good write-up. I wouldn't be so gutted about misses, each and everyone is a learning curve and, lets be honest, misses are part and parcel of the game, she's never gonna catch everything..!

That said, sounds like you and your dog are keen as mustard, crack on, you'll be a winning team. Keep us posted. ;)

Good write-up. I wouldn't be so gutted about misses, each and everyone is a learning curve and, lets be honest, misses are part and parcel of the game, she's never gonna catch everything..!

That said, sounds like you and your dog are keen as mustard, crack on, you'll be a winning team. Keep us posted.

Nice one pal, not arsed about missing more trying to get her to trust the beam a bit more but time and patience will be the remedy :thumbs: Went mad about the hunting on - it's just not acceptable, she hasn't really done that before but when the lamp goes off the dog should be back in simple as - and I let her know that. I hope something started to click, hopefully get out again soon and carry where I let off. ATB S2H

Good read, did she retrieve ok?

Yes she retrieves mate but unfortunately she will not put them in your hand which is rather embarassing with a name like STRAIGHT2HAND lol, she has a soft mouth and will run back the length of a field with them and usual pin them for you to take off her within a few feet of yah, I can live with that so long as she does everything else well :thumbs:

Yes she retrieves mate but unfortunately she will not put them in your hand which is rather embarassing with a name like STRAIGHT2HAND lol, she has a soft mouth and will run back the length of a field with them and usual pin them for you to take off her within a few feet of yah, I can live with that so long as she does everything else well :thumbs:
cant knock that, hopefully more practice will help with that.
  • Like 1

cant knock that, hopefully more practice will help with that.

maybe pal but I do get the feeling she is in the pattern but you never know if she works out the faster she brings them back the faster the next run comes it might tip it and she may get that extra bit of polish on a retrieve.