Pure Saluki

I am sure there are a few examples of pure Salukis being used as all rounder working dogs out there, Like there are greyhounds that can be lamped and whippets that fly into big dog foxes etc.

The question I ask is how many out of 10 would make all rounders? I believe the percentage would be very slim. Salukis with there nomadic roots where not really designed to work with people as such, like a collie or a herding dog, or a lurcher? Yes they would hunt and kill, and provide but they are more of a point and run animal, they are also not particularly intelligent like all sighthounds (not that serious amounts are needed) so I don't really think many could produce true all rounders.

They are highly driven athletes and can physically cope with all game, the problem is how many litters would you have to go through to get one with all the requirements needed when there are plenty of lurchers out there now in the right hands that are more suited to the role - lurchers take a long time to come along and are a lot of effort to get right, so go for the highest percentage of success.

• Like 2

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,   Cant run in smal

Ghostly Ease?, yea I see where you coming from with that phrase mate, when they flat out in pursuit they make it look so effortless, really graceful, a real pleasure to watch, kill or no kill, its the

listen it's simple , The Fact you only said you had not got a running dog after I put the offer out there shows your a talker like I already stated. I'm still willing to run your dogs with my dogs. On

Posted Images

I am sure there are a few examples of pure Salukis being used as all rounder working dogs out there, Like there are greyhounds that can be lamped and whippets that fly into big dog foxes etc.

The question I ask is how many out of 10 would make all rounders? I believe the percentage would be very slim. Salukis with there nomadic roots where not really designed to work with people as such, like a collie or a herding dog, or a lurcher? Yes they would hunt and kill, and provide but they are more of a point and run animal, they are also not particularly intelligent like all sighthounds (not that serious amounts are needed) so I don't really think many could produce true all rounders.

They are highly driven athletes and can physically cope with all game, the problem is how many litters would you have to go through to get one with all the requirements needed when there are plenty of lurchers out there now in the right hands that are more suited to the role - lurchers take a long time to come along and are a lot of effort to get right, so go for the highest percentage of success.

very good post mate and your right percentages are thin, thinner than say a litter of saluki lurchers bred in pink, but if we don't try we don't get, but I agree with a lot of what you say and that's why I say too them that want hares alone go for saluki lurcher every time, like a greyhound , deerhound, whippet a saluki is something you have to want to run for what it is, not what you or your mates want it too be, that's often where the trouble starts is it not,

• Like 3

very good post mate and your right percentages are thin, thinner than say a litter of saluki lurchers bred in pink, but if we don't try we don't get, but I agree with a lot of what you say and that's why I say too them that want hares alone go for saluki lurcher every time, like a greyhound , deerhound, whippet a saluki is something you have to want to run for what it is, not what you or your mates want it too be, that's often where the trouble starts is it not,

Your right there pal! If every dog turned out how we hoped it would the lurcher game would be boring and we would all have world beating 5/5, charly smashing, bambi bashers! Mind you there are a few of those on here :thumbs:

• Like 1

Point and run LOL rubbish and as for intelligence Salukis can read human emotions and short comings like a book but it obviously doesnt appear to work the other way round.In COO Salukis are not only hunters they are property and flock guards and in the West appear to make excellent pets. The best cousrsing lines also have large percentage of Saluki blood so contribute quite a lot to the coursing and hunting stock lines.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3

They are decent hare dogs I can bet, trouble is they are not the best.....

theres so much enjoyment in running hares catch or no catch, but now people expect too catch everytime even though its top class quarry when its done right winter they unreal, even the very best dogs get smoked now and again, theres not one alive that's never missed that's summat I do know lol

there are some real top class dogs that kill very high percentages of what they run week in and week out, fair play to them cos its a hard job keeping them right for that

• Like 2

How many of the top hare dogs will take deer. fox etc ? not many because most coursing lads only run 1 quarry. but I know plenty of coursing salukis that run all game so its horses for courses

How many of the top hare dogs will take deer. fox etc ? not many because most coursing lads only run 1 quarry. but I know plenty of coursing salukis that run all game so its horses for courses

I'm guessing plenty would if given the chance, a Saluki isn't an out and out fox dog let's be honest here.

theres so much enjoyment in running hares catch or no catch, but now people expect too catch everytime even though its top class quarry when its done right winter they unreal, even the very best dogs get smoked now and again, theres not one alive that's never missed that's summat I do know lol

there are some real top class dogs that kill very high percentages of what they run week in and week out, fair play to them cos its a hard job keeping them right for that

Oh without a doubt, if I had my way every hare caught by a dog would be released unharmed.

I wonder how a great Saluki would compare to some top coursing dogs over here on a hare.

Edited by DogFox123

The conditions the land even hares are varying quality more importantly the dog runs the hare that gets up not the other dog. .Coursing dogs have been specifically bred for hare salukis havent. Get a top hare out on the black in Cambridge a good saluki will hold its own if the courser doesnt kill in 3 mins it will be hitting a wall . No one said a saluki is an out and out fox dog there again what is ? and would it hold its own on hare or deer.

Edited by desertbred

Point and run LOL rubbish and as for intelligence Salukis can read human emotions and short comings like a book but it obviously doesnt appear to work the other way round.In COO Salukis are not only hunters they are property and flock guards and in the West appear to make excellent pets. The best cousrsing lines also have large percentage of Saluki blood so contribute quite a lot to the coursing and hunting stock lines.

Any dog can read human emotion pal, and if your saying a saluki stands near a herding type or anything else in terms of intellect I think you have tunnel vision mate. I was referring in terms of how they where used traditionally, not really rained in, the nomadic way of life etc - yes they have adapted into our way of life and certainly will run a hare into the ground, but so can a beagle. The post is about all round salukis, your a fan, I'm not really thats my preference but they do have merits that I wont knock and proberly more than people will recognize, just lets not paint them to be something there not - as a general rule but not in every single case adding something else to the table makes a more rounded hunter in Britain than a pure saluki.

• Like 3

The conditions the land even hares are varying quality more importantly the dog runs the hare that gets up not the other dog. .Coursing dogs have been specifically bred for hare salukis havent. Get a top hare out on the black in Cambridge a good saluki will hold its own if the courser doesnt kill in 3 mins it will be hitting a wall . No one said a saluki is an out and out fox dog there again what is ? and would it hold its own on hare or deer.

Coursing dogs just like the Saluki have been bred to run and catch things, it just happens that the men who use them run the Hare.

The aim of the game is to catch the hare when all is said and done, it just goes to show how great these coursing bred dogs are to better the Saluki at running the hare.