Pure Saluki

Back in the day used ta really like ta watch a good animal flutter up to old puss,then the run begins puss only runs has he needs top animal bring the very best from good strong uns keep the whizz bangers ,I enjoy the skill and natural stamina and ability of a real un length of slip ta these don't matter the furthe can be in the he hounds favour.atb bunnys

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,   Cant run in smal

Ghostly Ease?, yea I see where you coming from with that phrase mate, when they flat out in pursuit they make it look so effortless, really graceful, a real pleasure to watch, kill or no kill, its the

listen it's simple , The Fact you only said you had not got a running dog after I put the offer out there shows your a talker like I already stated. I'm still willing to run your dogs with my dogs. On

Posted Images

A lot of pure Salukis did get entered for the forley when running in the qualifying rounds but didn't get through, of the ones that did only a couple made it to the final. As for the deerhound cross, that can't even come close to a saluki for coursing, the clue is in the dogs name 'DEERHOUND'.

As I said before I have a saluki and crossbreeds so I don't have tunnel vision but in my humble opinion a line bred saluki greyhound would out perform a pedigree every time. I once went out with Paul sagar after he eulogised about Annie telling me she was the best coursing dog in the country and that she had a ninety percent catch rate, I was expecting something special, but to say I was disappointed would be an understatement, that day he slipped on over twelve hares and she didn't get close to one of them, of course the excuses came out, but like I said before it doesn't matter to me what dog someone has it's just when people bang on about a certain breed just because they run them. Horses for courses, I know that if I wanted a lamping dog for small paddocks I'd have a greyhound/whippet or a pedigree whippet, just like I'd prefer a collie/greyhound deerhound greyhound for an all rounder. I'm not saying there the best or the worst it's just my opinion.

• Like 2

A lot of pure Salukis did get entered for the forley when running in the qualifying rounds but didn't get through, of the ones that did only a couple made it to the final. As for the deerhound cross, that can't even come close to a saluki for coursing, the clue is in the dogs name 'DEERHOUND'.

As I said before I have a saluki and crossbreeds so I don't have tunnel vision but in my humble opinion a line bred saluki greyhound would out perform a pedigree every time. I once went out with Paul sagar after he eulogised about Annie telling me she was the best coursing dog in the country and that she had a ninety percent catch rate, I was expecting something special, but to say I was disappointed would be an understatement, that day he slipped on over twelve hares and she didn't get close to one of them, of course the excuses came out, but like I said before it doesn't matter to me what dog someone has it's just when people bang on about a certain breed just because they run them. Horses for courses, I know that if I wanted a lamping dog for small paddocks I'd have a greyhound/whippet or a pedigree whippet, just like I'd prefer a collie/greyhound deerhound greyhound for an all rounder. I'm not saying there the best or the worst it's just my opinion.

The pure was that bad was it? Hell even a 3/4 collie cross can catch Hares regularly.....

On that day it was and I only saw it run once but I examined her carefully and couldn't see anything wrong, that's not to say there wasn't and I've watched the Salukis at swaffan and Newmarket and the courses went on for ages with only a very low catch rate, but Tony griffiths saluki shady was far better than Annie in my opinion.

On that day it was and I only saw it run once but I examined her carefully and couldn't see anything wrong, that's not to say there wasn't and I've watched the Salukis at swaffan and Newmarket and the courses went on for ages with only a very low catch rate, but Tony griffiths saluki shady was far better than Annie in my opinion.

Let's be honest here, any decent 3/4 greyhound cross will catch Hares on a regular basis.

• Like 1

It is strange how nearly every coursing video on YouTube never shows the slip.....

It is strange how nearly every coursing video on YouTube never shows the slip.....

Think a lot of the time the person slipping is doing the filming aswell so not easy, get feckin sea sick watching some of them when the cameraman is trying to control a screaming pulling dog, why the bbc don't offer to send a cameraman along is beyond me , feel like putting a complaint in be fecked
  • Like 1

Salukis are a working dog ,most coursing bred crosses are just that coursing dogs so the stories can be slanted either way. What I will say is in PreBan days a good dog would be put to any quarry on any land in any weather and will not only run carefully selected opponents .. Long range slips make for a better test of a dog .My method is if the dog sees it then it gets slipped on if its in the same County. . Matches because they were based on kills the game plans were different but for days out they should be fair play all round for hare and dog. As has been said the hare doesnt get into gear until the dog is bearing down on it so wizz bangers need shorter slips other wise they would be blowiing before they get on terms from a long slip. Some dogs have pace and wind but the clever coursing dogs know when to go up and down the gears and when to press when to hold back and when to strike you would see lots of the fast dogs over run and often struggle to get back on terms if they miss the first strike but it was all part of a day out so it was enjoyed i what ever happened. A lot of the bad habits can be directly attributed to the introduction of the Hunting with Dogs Act

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3

Salukis are a working dog ,most coursing bred crosses are just that coursing dogs so the stories can be slanted either way. What I will say is in PreBan days a good dog would be put to any quarry on any land in any weather and will not only run carefully selected opponents .. Long range slips make for a better test of a dog .My method is if the dog sees it then it gets slipped on if its in the same County. . Matches because they were based on kills the game plans were different but for days out they should be fair play all round for hare and dog. As has been said the hare doesnt get into gear until the dog is bearing down on it so wizz bangers need shorter slips other wise they would be blowiing before they get on terms from a long slip. Some dogs have pace and wind but the clever coursing dogs know when to go up and down the gears and when to press when to hold back and when to strike you would see lots of the fast dogs over run and often struggle to get back on terms if they miss the first strike but it was all part of a day out so it was enjoyed i what ever happened. A lot of the bad habits can be directly attributed to the introduction of the Hunting with Dogs Act

I've seen non coursing bred Lurchers catch Hares from a fair distance away when out for a mooch.

I've seen non coursing bred Lurchers catch Hares from a fair distance away when out for a mooch.

You would have i ve seen the longest slips for salukis that most dogs wouldnt even attempt tp get on terms, its not a contest between breeds of dog, its dog against hare on any particular day no matter want slant people want to put on it

Edited by desertbred