The Border Terrier

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mine. He's Ray walker and levi oaks stuff. 100% graft but very hard. I have a bitch similar bred.

Yep we did

two of mine

Posted Images

I reckon I dug a few times to one of the best Borders of the last 30 years (obviously many will argue) but many men seen the dog and agree. He was Dandy. Ray Walker bred. We had a 10 footer to him and when the quarry got away he was dropped again and we dug another 10 footer to him. And he wasn't a shy type of worker.

Dandy was the father of Sam , who's in the pedigree of a lot of good black terriers.

But back to the Border. In the last few years most keepers of Borders I've met (not them all) have been of the dreaming kind.

Would there be a Border man out there now who could bring out 3 Borders of the same kin and do the business with them, single handed ???????

I doubt it very, very much.

• Like 2

I reckon I dug a few times to one of the best Borders of the last 30 years (obviously many will argue) but many men seen the dog and agree. He was Dandy. Ray Walker bred. We had a 10 footer to him and when the quarry got away he was dropped again and we dug another 10 footer to him. And he wasn't a shy type of worker.

Dandy was the father of Sam , who's in the pedigree of a lot of good black terriers.

But back to the Border. In the last few years most keepers of Borders I've met (not them all) have been of the dreaming kind.

Would there be a Border man out there now who could bring out 3 Borders of the same kin and do the business with them, single handed ???????

Milliken as I stated this was the early 70's!! Each Border could work on its own or as we were working big setts together equally well. I was glad to be taken under such an experienced terrierman's wing and I didn't think it was appropriate for me to tell him how to work his terriers, firstly I wouldn't be allowed out again and secondly I probably would be unable to Fu**in walk home!!

• Like 1

Milliken as I stated this was the early 70's!! Each Border could work on its own or as we were working big setts together equally well. I was glad to be taken under such an experienced terrierman's wing and I didn't think it was appropriate for me to tell him how to work his terriers, firstly I wouldn't be allowed out again and secondly I probably would be unable to Fu**in walk home!!

I'd hope they were formidable as a pair because they were doing a job that one dog can do. What was his reasoning for doubling up?

Rob I was in my teens! Do you want me to lie or tell you as it was??? Don't give chicken carcasses to dogs, always feed milk and bread to ferrets, terriers and lurchers in the boot of a car and so on! This was a well known terrierman in the Welsh valleys, was he wrong in what he did probably yes, but I know one thing it was never going to come from me!!

• Like 3

I'd say lots of dogs were doubled up many moons ago on bigger stuff, was it always frowned upon? Or is it only in the last few decades that this practice has became unacceptable? When did standards become the norm? Anyone old enough to answer. Many a post have stated that dogs were dime a dozen ages ago, and better than average at that, so I'd imagine standards were different to those of today.

• Like 1

I'd say lots of dogs were doubled up many moons ago on bigger stuff, was it always frowned upon? Or is it only in the last few decades that this practice has became unacceptable? When did standards become the norm? Anyone old enough to answer. Many a post have stated that dogs were dime a dozen ages ago, and better than average at that, so I'd imagine standards were different to those of today.

When I started digging in the 70's it was common for dogs to be doubled up on badgers, I was lucky the 2 lads I dug with in my early years had decided single handed was the way forward so I learned the right way thankfully

• Like 2

Most of the cars we had the boots were full of fumes! How the dogs survived God knows but that was normal then and if you had any type of van that was luxury for the dogs except for the all in brawls which happened continually, good days though lol

well Neil I beg to differ on the best border as the one I had the pleasure of gracing the soil to him was a top notch dog too, top with another black dog both long at rest now,