The Border Terrier

I know some laugh' dismiss the border. I saw and heard of them ' thought maybe ok years back and when men later saying the had good working borders . you think just saying that like others say things you dont see. But didnt john parkz rate such good dog work and use them. I know parkes top man digging and terriers in there time and very good dogs.must been good for him be impressed.was the mick dog before he put border in?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mine. He's Ray walker and levi oaks stuff. 100% graft but very hard. I have a bitch similar bred.

Yep we did

two of mine

Posted Images

Many moons ago an old digging partner of mine rang me and said he had obtained a wee border bitch, 5yrs ish, and everyone of them years a house pet...k.c.reg etc. Any hoo, broke tru to my dog on quarry that was holding a bit of ground, removed mine to give the "pet" a look...shot straight in and drew like a pro.... who'd have thunk it???

Yokel

• Like 4

Levi lakes border's had good name in his day for digging dogs .one man carried his dogs on I know years ago for digging and producing good workers .had some good dogs.Also said that JP was so impressed by one dog of levi he seen work that he took a mating of him to his own dog .can't think of the name of the dog now. One man also said JP bred 18 of these and the all worked well but one .would like to have talked man himself . that time he had done matings both ways .A dog over his bitch .His dog over the border bitch.

• Like 2

I had a friend who worked a border years and years ago, according to him every bit as useful as his patterdales which he has had and did have a few.

Come to think if it he had another that was a cracking worker but it was one of the hardest dogs I have ever seen, you couldn't go near it for fear of losing your hands. He could work it and only him.

I think like most dogs if you find the right stock the potential is there

Something I am more familiar with, the Labrador. Look at the change in that breed over the last 10 or 15 years, if you aren't careful you can get some real shite.

I think I heard on the radio a while back that the border terrier is among the most popular breed in the UK. Naturally if this is the case people are going to be breeding them more for the house pet market, which means knocking back aggression and selecting more and more placid and better looking animals, which obviously doesn't do the breed any favours as a working dog.

My dad used to say that there was a lot of good borders years ago 50s/60s/& 70s , but that they are like rocking horse shit now . They were also a different stamp then with big heads on them , instead of the small heads & deep chests that you see on them now .