Are Serial Killers Born Or Made?

Ever since my Grandmother told me about the brutal murder of a young schoolgirl committed by Peter Pickering of Wombwell, I've always been interested in what makes a killer tick.

I've recently been watching clips and reading about Ted Bundy, the man was obviously crazy but he was intelligent, well spoken and charming, deep inside him lied the "most evil son of a bitch you could ever meet." He claimed he was sorry for his actions and that he had remorse but the eyes never lie, he was a master manipulator and knew how to play people. I think the number of murders he committed show clearly he didn't have a trace of remorse in his body.

Most people believe these monsters are created from external factors such as a bad upbringing but I feel it's mother nature at it's worst. A good example for the killer being born that way or created through damage to the brain is the case of John Wayne Gacy. He was a bright, polite young boy that showed no killer tendencies until the age of 15 he suffered a blow to the head which caused a blood clot. The frontal lobe is considered the part of the brain that enables us to have healthy social relationships. Maybe killers are born with these parts damaged or out of sync? Bundy is the most chilling of all, I'd have loved to get inside his mind....

Edited by DogFox123

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard they normally start reading a lot about other serial killers......

When we were kids we found a body with a weetabix shoved up its arse police said it was the work of a cereal killer

I find it amusing now how people react to such quizzes as above. If you had given me that quiz 40 years ago l would have probably scored in the high 90's. That said, as you get older you do, through l

Posted Images

I heard they normally start reading a lot about other serial killers......

I'm not gonna lie, I could easily see myself killing someone in a fit of rage but to go out and actively hunt people to murder for my own pleasure is taking it to the next level.... Definitely something missing upstairs, fascinates me.

I think they are born. Look at those shits who killed poor Jamie Bulger. The trouble is in the old days any sign of odd behaviour would have been beaten out of them. Nowadays they "need help".

The only reason these people should be kept alive is so we can perform operations on them without anaesthetic to see what makes them tick.

I think they are born. Look at those shits who killed poor Jamie Bulger. The trouble is in the old days any sign of odd behaviour would have been beaten out of them. Nowadays they "need help".

The only reason these people should be kept alive is so we can perform operations on them without anaesthetic to see what makes them tick.

I agree they are born that way, if that's the case they do need help. Beating them isn't going to cure them of their disorder though. Obviously we don't yet know enough to cure them but what do you do?

The Bulger story is very eerie and if we are all being honest we can relate to it. I know first hand how evil kids can be. When I was a child I hung around with a very troubled boy who's turned out to be a wrong un but nothing too bad. Some of the things he did to animals was very sadistic indeed. Being around him made the rest of us do things that we wouldn't dream of doing and brought out evil in us. Human's are fcuked up creatures indeed....

Edited by DogFox123
  • Like 1

A good example for the killer being born that way or created through damage to the brain is the case of John Wayne. He was a bright, polite young boy that showed no killer tendencies until the age of 15 he suffered a blow to the head ..

The duke only shot people in the movies,they always got up after the scene,he hunted quite a few people for bounty and ended up killing them in true grit though..............Unless its john wayne gacy your on about?

• Like 2

I agree they are born that way, if that's the case they do need help. Beating them isn't going to cure them of their disorder though. Obviously we don't yet know enough to cure them but what do you do?

Beat them. :laugh:

We have a mental institution in these parts and I was doing a job for a warden......he was telling me about 5 kids under 15 locked up there

He says you can tell theres something evil about them....all there crimes are sickening

Not sure if their crimes have been reported because of age or when they took place

Personally, I think there is a monster in all of us, and it's largely circumstance (environment and social conditioning) that keeps it locked away.

Is it not true that often these psychopaths and sociopaths are just hyper rational people who's logic has taken them to a monstrous place? Is it not true that some men who have experienced it have developed a very natural enjoyment for the hunting/killing of other men? Is it just opportunity and a lack of this hyper rational thought that stops regular folk taking similar paths in life?

• Like 2

Think there are too many factors to simply put it down to either or most of these criminal analyst people reccon there is always a mother or mother figure who is at the root of it Shipman nursed his mother and watched her being given pethidine he went on to abuse it.. why he went on to kill because of that is not clear... same as the others they kill until they get caught

Personally, I think there is a monster in all of us, and it's largely circumstance (environment and social conditioning) that keeps it locked away.

Is it not true that often these psychopaths and sociopaths are just hyper rational people who's logic has taken them to a monstrous place? Is it not true that some men who have experienced it have developed a very natural enjoyment for the hunting/killing of other men? Is it just opportunity and a lack of this hyper rational thought that stops regular folk taking similar paths in life?

I don't believe that, many people have terrible upbringings and don't do half the things these monsters do.

At the age of 3 Bundy showed signs of abnormal behaviour. His aunty remembered waking up from taking a nap and seeing that little Ted had taken all of the knives out of the kitchen and placed them all around her body, when she confronted him he just smirked....