Wonderful photos. In the fifth photo I could see 6 dogs. I'd love to hear more about how they work. Are they all under your control, or are there other people gathering the sheep in as well? I am, as someone fairly ignorant about sheep dogs, fascinated by the way that they work. I've seen loads of videos of gathering in hill flocks, and the dogs never cease to impress me.

There not all mine theres a usually a couple of us go im a sheperd so i go around diffrent farms to gather for so im always working along side other sheperds and dogs. On average we'll have about 20 dogs between us i take 5 or 6 depending if im training a dog. If you look at the 10th pic i have 2 dogs on a couple i keep them coupled until we have the sheep in a group and driving them home so there still fresh.

I can work 3 of my dogs independantly at the same time, so for instance if i have got one dog past some sheep and im fetching them down a place were i know they will try to get away i can send another dog to the place they are going to attempt to get away to stop them and i can be using another dog to keep hold of the sheep i already have.

It takes a bit of concentration from me and the dogs. The 2 i have coupled are what we would call "hingers on" they dont do the main of the work but they are there for a bit of force when one dog is not enough.

242F84A1-D124-451C-A11D-246E21CD5816_zps

Edited by Blackdog92
  • Like 6

Very nice mate change the sheep to black faces and its so much like Scotland

Im not far off, i put all my swale ewes to a cheviot tup about 7 years ago so there all good strong sheep now compared to the "modern swaledale" lol.

Edited by Blackdog92