Funny thing happened this morning when i went to muck out the dogs and let them out in the run.I work shift work so dont get home until 1.30 am and last night-morning when i arrived home the dogs were going mad but i checked and nothing out of the ordinary so shouted at them to be quiet and left it at that.This morning when i went down they were still going mad so when i unlocked the kennell and went in i let out 2 of the terriers that were cosest to the door and they straight away went to the side of the fridge i have for the dog meet.I was fully sure i had a rat present so i carefully pushed the fridge to 1 side trying to keep the terriers back at the same time as i did not want it to escape from there if they got in behind the fridge.Nothing bolted so i put 1 of the terriers back in kennell and held the 2nd while i had a peep in behind the fridge,to my amazement there was a hedgehog curled up neatly in the corner and how it got in there is beyond me.The walls around the outside run are 2 9in cavity blocks with a 4in block on its flat on top so that comes to at least 2ft counting the course of morter and then there is 2in weld mest on top of that again 4ft high.The door to the kennells is steel and comes down to about a half inch of the concrete floor so no way in there either,its a f***ing mystery to me how it got in,i released it down the bottom of the garden underneath the hedge.

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my terriers caught one in the garden a few year ago, sadly the patterdale tore chunks out of it, but I took it in and put honey on the wounds as they are a bit prickly to treat, ended up living in my

Out with the terrier last night and we came across this little bugger. You can see the terrier looking to me for guidance but you can see the evil in the hedgehogs eyes, so I slipped the lead on the d

Posted Images

Maybe got in while you were out with the dogs? It's nice to hear of them about. When I was younger I lived nexto a golf course and every night when I took the dogs out on it they would find a hedgehog without fail. Not seen one for maybe 5 years or more.

• Like 1

Got caught unaware years ago by one when I was locking up my chickens...stood on one in the dark by accident...f***ing noise it made...jumped out off my skin lol.don't see them about much these days unless they sunbathing on the side of the road.shame as the a cool little creature. Atb dc

• Like 3

I have a regular hedgehog visitor to my garden little terrier pup was amazed by it hedgehog just strolled off not bothered at all I will try and get a picture next time

my terriers caught one in the garden a few year ago, sadly the patterdale tore chunks out of it, but I took it in and put honey on the wounds as they are a bit prickly to treat, ended up living in my kitchen all winter as it was to small to hibernate it got quite tame but a bit smelly then in the spring I pass it on to some hedgehog charity ready for release, used to see them every year in my garden but not in the last five years
  • Like 4

But protected mate you forgot to say .Not seen one for some time then dogs found two when ratting at night nearby .Anyone ever seen them shagging ,proper noisy and more than a bit careful .They are good climbers too believe it or not .

• Like 2

But protected mate you forgot to say .Not seen one for some time then dogs found two when ratting at night nearby .Anyone ever seen them shagging ,proper noisy and more than a bit careful .They are good climbers too believe it or not .

that's why there's so many here as there protected and nothing to kill them

Badgers kill loads of them up there

• Like 2

Last year I had one come into the yard every couple of nights. About 1 in the morning the terriers would go nuts. Im sure it was suicidal. Used to get right up to one or the Kennels and then ball itself up. Just far enough away so the dogs couldn't get to it. Fecking thing I must have put it in the field at the end of the garden 4-5 times and the bloody thing kept coming back.

Havnt seen it this year.

I'd one get into the pen a few years back i had a Lakeland in, it was a time we were having a good spell of weather so I reckon it was looking a drink of water. Woke up with the dogs going mad Lakeland squealing, so ran out and the Lakeland had it and the blood was all over the pen. Bloody big one it was too. Sat it down in the garden and got the dog cleaned up had to pull some needles off him. Next morning the hog was away, seen it about half a mile up the road a week later squashed.

Edited by THE GENERAL

Something irresitable about the smell I think .I've had probs on walks before at night when the terriers have found them and just won't leave .Terriers bleeding and one well dead hog .

got to agree with you foxdropper,all the terriers ive had over the years would always find a good few when out for a stroll,especially thi time of year, got a lurcher here now that will retrieve theml live to hand,terriers always tried to kill them and there mouths would be bleeding like pigs.

that's why there's so many here as there protected and nothing to kill them

Badgers kill loads of them up there
. Maybe you should tell that hairy prick Brian May, the area I walk my dogs in has taken a battering from pigs, hares barely clinging on, rabbits dug out of setts and eaten, then more young badgers take up residence, some nights it looks like a black and white train going past my trail cams, and the only things thriving apart from the pigs is deer, which are another total pain in the arse, sorry about that rant over I,ll pack my soap box away
  • Like 2