Breeding - The Importance Of The Female Line

green lurchers remember it well still hurts now :cray::cray:

lol sorry mate she was such a good horse but had her problems mainly foot related , but when right she was special , as a producer she didn't fire and nothing of any note came through to say she was a top broodmare even tho she was at the time rated one of the best fillies in the world

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its not just with dogs, its the same with any stock, the importance of selection of the females, and no kennel is stronger than its bitches.

I just idly clicked on the link in the ad that's currently running in the Working Dogs classified section for ftc springer spaniel pups and had a quick look at that site. Read this interesting article

Our bitches form the basis of our saluki breeding. We say if a farmer has a handful of the best corn seeds and plants them in poor or average soil no matter how he tends the crop it will be poor. The

Just look at the best broods of all time in the greyhound industry,once a dam proven to throw top quality pups,they do so in nearly every litter,regardless of the stud dog,look at west mead Hawks dam as an example,also top breeders in greyhounds hardly ever go back for a repeat mating to a stud dog,even if the litter was top class

• Like 1

defo mate if you can find that producing bitch its a easy job that old bitch i mentioned the first three mateings were to dogs with great bloodlines but had done next to nothing on the field and she produced match winners inall three litters with stud dogs they have as many chances with whats put in front of them may be 20 to 50 bitchs simple maths says the dog will throw something at sometime another point to make is why keep breeding from bitchs that dont produce 2 litters and nothing to show for it forget it very doubtfull it will ever happen i had a top class bitch which i bred from twice with to well known studs they had already proved themselves she was not a producer 2 litters nothing

• Like 1

commander in cheif wernt to bad green lurchers think he was the only one that cecil did do me any favours with

he was a fantastic horse and so well bred , never backed him myself altho Newmarket was my stomping ground in them days,, theres a lad in the breeding shed in America at the moment his stud fee is more than frankels , hes a busy boy at $200,000 a pop, his style of running very similar to frankels a high cruising speed amazing horse to watch run , I can remember all the doubters saying he wouldn't stay the 1m 4f to clinch the triple crown , think he ran the second fastest Belmont stakes in history annihalating the field , his grand sire was empire maker same silks as franke,l his sire pioneer of the nile , his dam was litleprincess emma a 5f runner that wasn't very good but the mating produced American pharoah a monster on the track

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1

he never beat em he slaughterd them enjoyed that

thought youd like him , just to note his full sister is in training and will see the track later this year , be interesting breeding wise how she does , cards are stacked against her being as good as her full brother

The importance of good bitches to improve stock is huge, not only in a line but in general. I honestly believe many breeders/hunters just 'dont get it and i've preached on the subject for years...

Thing is, i should have practiced what i preached 12 years ago and my line would never have ended....

Im of the firmest of opinion that the bitch is the most important factor in any breeding and carries a lineage better than its male counterpart,ive no idea about the scientific factor in the equation,basic animal husbandry was about before the scientists got involved.Yet the stud carries many a poorer bitch and is as important as the best of bitches,nearly.

• Like 3

Its not just with dogs, its the same with any stock, the importance of selection of the females, and no kennel is stronger than its bitches.

Totally agree yet id not own another lurcher that was not sired by my lads dog.

Totally agree yet id not own another lurcher that was not sired by my lads dog.
There is Omanyras stuffs blood in your lads dog through The sires dam

Imo that's what's wrong with gun dogs and how there so many very average stuff about ...because if a lad has a lab that has won many field trials he will put it to any bitch just for the £££££ some of these top trailing dogs have covered hundreds of bitches

• Like 1