Bbq Rabbits

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You will if you try this.............. parboil the rabbit for 25 mins or so strip the meat off the bones, then add two tablespoons of olive oil and 3 chopped garlic cloves and brown the rabbit meat i

I sometimes tandoori them and put them on skewers with mushrooms and peppers.

I like that spray idea Si, nice one I'm going to fill mine with cider now and spray the pork ribs.   I've just lit my barbecue This little tin can will do the job until I get the fire pit b

Posted Images

BBQd rabbit is good but you need young bunnies, not old bucks and scraggy does.I marinate mine in a tandoori spice mix with olive oil for 24 hours, start cooking them wrapped in foil to keep the moisture in then unwrap for the last few minutes.

Timmmehhhhhh. Not seen you about for a while :)

• Like 1

I am not keen on mr wabbit nor is the family but as I have loads on the perm, a different approach to cooking them might be in order. Do you guys joint them or cook them whole.

Phil

You will if you try this.............. parboil the rabbit for 25 mins or so strip the meat off the bones, then add two tablespoons of olive oil and 3 chopped garlic cloves and brown the rabbit meat in the oil, when browned, add two tablespoons of tomato puree and fry some more coating the rabbit in the sauce, then add half a pint of dry cider (supposed to be Normandy cider,hence the name of the dish) and let the whole thing simmer for ten minutes,serve with some Parsley on top, it goes well with most things, but is tremendous with bubble and squeak, good with rice, or just some crusty bread and salted butter, Normandy rabbit, simple's :thumbs:

• Like 3

Those bigger rabbits don't have to be dog or ferret food, you can still use and eat them. The secret is that you have to remove the silver membrane from each muscle, and any tendons, time consuming and a bit fiddly but well worth it for the result, I do the same with pheasant legs.

Smallish cubes are a welcome addition to Cajun jambolia. I have minced the meat to make chilli con 'cony' (see what I did there :laugh: ), spaggy bol etc. Also, minced and mixed with fat belly pork it makes excellent sausages, burgers and Italian style meatballs. Saddle meat can be used instead of chicken to make a Thai green or red curry.

• Like 2

I am not keen on mr wabbit nor is the family but as I have loads on the perm, a different approach to cooking them might be in order. Do you guys joint them or cook them whole.

Phil

You will if you try this.............. parboil the rabbit for 25 mins or so strip the meat off the bones, then add two tablespoons of olive oil and 3 chopped garlic cloves and brown the rabbit meat in the oil, when browned, add two tablespoons of tomato puree and fry some more coating the rabbit in the sauce, then add half a pint of dry cider (supposed to be Normandy cider,hence the name of the dish) and let the whole thing simmer for ten minutes,serve with some Parsley on top, it goes well with most things, but is tremendous with bubble and squeak, good with rice, or just some crusty bread and salted butter, Normandy rabbit, simple's :thumbs:

Jesus christ. On this next lot I get.

• Like 1

I marinade mine then put them in the oven on a low heat for a hour let them cool down and then bbq them when your ready. Cooking them on high heat results in rabbit flavour chewing gum lol

Ha. Indeed.

The pooch in ya avatar looks like the devil lucifer himself. Jesus. Beast.

Pmsl. Yup he can be a decil out in the fields altho the freezer is never empty lol

• Like 1

Was watching a Bushcraft guy roast a pheasant over open flames, one thing he said was a way to avoid drying the meat out was to start the meat over high heat to sear it well and then move it to a lower heat to roast, the sealing kept moister in..

The bunny burgers that got mentioned are well worth the effort,a mate of mine made some when he used to hunt a bit a they were from the river cottage cook book I think and were honestly some of the best I remember eating,and cooking over open flame is a good one and the advice on searing it so as not to dry it out should do the trick,did this with squirrel once over a pile of lath we were burning and it was spot on,incidentally it was the same mate who cooked both...