Catching Tea....

What a cracking way to spend some time,,,your a lucky man living so close to the sea...

What's best way of cooking them on an open fire,,,in a frying pan ,,or in some foil with the lemon ect,,,

• Like 3

What a cracking way to spend some time,,,your a lucky man living so close to the sea...

What's best way of cooking them on an open fire,,,in a frying pan ,,or in some foil with the lemon ect,,,

TBH mate I don't think I could be too far from the sea, spend a lot of time on it or by it...

I love mackerel to eat, barbecued whole is great, filleted and turned in flour with salt and pepper then quickly shallow fried is how I've had them for years (my mum always done them like that).

you can do loads with them and they take extra flavours well

This is last Sunday, only caught 4 so done them whole, rubbed in olive oil with paprika and chilli powder rubbed in, little tomato salsa thing, some potatoes with chorizo and a bit of ratatouille .... lovely!!

image_zps1lpfwunc.png

• Like 7

Do you put anything on them when you bbq them,,,or just a twist of salt and pepper ...

I'm hoping to catch a bit in a few weeks up Scotland ,,pollock proberbly,,,you got any open fire recipes for it..?

Fantastic post,evokes memories of mackies cooked or bbq'd on a bit of chicken wire over a beach fire with a squirt of lemon and a twist of black pepper,as tomo said,your a lucky guy.

• Like 1

TBH mate I don't think I could be too far from the sea, spend a lot of time on it or by it...

I love mackerel to eat, barbecued whole is great, filleted and turned in flour with salt and pepper then quickly shallow fried is how I've had them for years (my mum always done them like that).

This is last Sunday, only caught 4 so done them whole, rubbed in olive oil with paprika and chilli powder rubbed in, little tomato salsa thing, some potatoes with chorizo and a bit of ratatouille .... lovely!!

image_zps1lpfwunc.png

Sounded good till you said ratattouille lol

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Do you put anything on them when you bbq them,,,or just a twist of salt and pepper ...

I'm hoping to catch a bit in a few weeks up Scotland ,,pollock proberbly,,,you got any open fire recipes for it..?

On the barbie mackerel are just right rubbed with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper IMO

Pollack are a lot like cod, the only time I've cooked them on the barbie was at the fishing comp a few years back, I took some pollack and cod fillets that I'd caught and put it on tin foil cooked in butter, salt and pepper, the lads woofed it down so I presume it was ok lol

I like it battered like cod, make a decent beer batter dip it in and in the fryer, but have grilled it and roasted large fillets, normally with butter, lemon and some herbs (parsley and dill work well).

Also curried is nice, make thai style curry, coconut milk and loads of coriander, if I've had a few cod I'll often do this, (pollack would be the same).

You just got to catch some now mate...lol

• Like 3

image_zps1lpfwunc.png

Sounded good till you said ratattouille lol

Cheers, D.

Ha, I don't mind it, kids aint too keen... but if they don't eat it no afters lol

• Like 2

Fantastic post,evokes memories of mackies cooked or bbq'd on a bit of chicken wire over a beach fire with a squirt of lemon and a twist of black pepper,as tomo said,your a lucky guy.

When I was a kid our house was the last on on the estate and backed right onto the Exe, we had a small rib with a 25hp on it. We used to roll it down the hill and into the river, about 5 mile downstream was Exmouth, out into the sea and catch a bucketful of mackerel, also gurnard, pollack, flatties etc..

We come back up with the tide and pull the boat up into the garden, then have a barbie, the fish would come straight out of the boat and onto the barbie....

The last little boat we had (until some twat kniced the bung and it turned upside down for 2 tides, wankers!!) had a smal stove on it, mackerel straght off the line and in the pan flipping, thats the way to eat em!!

You've got to have mackerel fresh, I wouldn't buy it from a supermarket, infact I wouldn't buy it from a fishmongers,... I think some people don't like mackerel because theyve never had it fresh

• Like 5

i always cook mine under the grill, i make a dish shape bowl out of tin foil, put the mackerel in it, add a pinch of salt and pepper, then add a knob of butter on top...done

as it grills, you can see the translucent flesh going to the white cooked meat, i like to keep it simple to get that fish flavour, if your cooking it at home, (iv'e never tried it), but i would have thought you could cook it in a bag, like you do when you buy smoked haddock, add a bit of salt/pepper with butter or garlic butter, give it ago,

• Like 2

image_zps1lpfwunc.png[/quo

That looks the absolute nuts mate

• Like 2

image_zps1lpfwunc.png[/quo

That looks the absolute nuts mate

Thanks mate, I like to cook when I've got the time, which ain't often at the minute!!