Robert Lemm The Mill Maker

Dogs will stop if their owners trainers conditioners ain't upto Scratch :)

Max stop pretending to know stuff you dont.....if you know Greyhounds thats great good for you............but stick to greyhounds eh theres a good lad ;)

Would you think old time breeders were better than present day breeders? I think modern stockmen are more knowledgeable....

Its only my opinion mate but i do think those old timers probably had a better eye for a dog and could more than likely predict what breedings would just click.......but no i agree all the tools are in place today for the breeding of far superior animals

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand your point perfectly mate but my impression of what the lads are saying is that they need to find out how big the dogs heart is before they put the proper time into it or they may get a f

Azium/Dex was the basis of a dog matchers tool kit 20 years ago whereas today it would be like pulling up on a drag strip with a mk 4 cortina .....i remember a greyhound man asking me about it years

We dont ?......cant say as your name rings a bell but ive had shit thrown at me from all angles on here the names dont really register anymore.... but hey i apologise it was probably my fault anyway

Max are you even aware of how silly you make yourself look when you do things like this ?................how can a game dog be game if he stops !!!

With all your years working and conditioning bulldogs if you have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a dog who will take his death doing what he loves regardless of his conditioning.......then you carry on in ignorance it really makes no odds to me.

• Like 1

It makes for interesting reading from all you lads who it seems to me have a very decent knowledge in your various fields of experience.

Good thread chaps

Gnash that goes for any dog

Be it a greyhound

A lamping lurcher

A coursing dog

Or a game dog

If they not conditioned right or getting worked carrying a injury they will stop

Some before others

But they will stop.

I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Max ,game dogs are "game tested " when they are out of condition on purpose .

I think the theory is ,the sooner the dog is struggling ,finding it hard going ,running out of steam etc then a person can judge whether it can has what it needs to have ,getting a dog in condition for this test just means it takes the dog longer to get to that stage , hence testing unconditioned dogs against bigger ,fitter dogs .

• Like 2

Fooking stupidity in my book.

Maybe lazy dog owners who ain't got the incline or Pactience of maybe knowledge to condition any dog for that matter

So they use the above excuse to work it unfit ?

Food for thought .

A roll is a test fight. Most common in puppies under 18 months but it happens with any new dog a fighter comes by. Usually the dog is tested or rolled for a period of 10 to 15 minutes against an older more experienced and often heavier dog. Its just to see if the new dog has what it takes. Is it game or not, will it quit or keep trying. If it quits its gone, if it keeps trying its kept and trained. A dog may be rolled several times before a match actually takes place.

It's like running a dog on puss unfit or injured and when it Pulls up saying its a jacker and either leaving it in the field or passing it on or PTS .

Plenty have half dozen dogs going thru their hands per season

Would I call these type dog men of any calibre

Not at all.

Massive difference max. A running dog throwing the towel in cos if an injury.

A game pit will go back over the scratch line with big injuries. It's not the injuries that physically stop the pit scratching.

It's his heart. Does he want to win or not.

• Like 1

Cos you could spend valuable time conditioning a dog.give him a roll and he will quit after 8 mins flat.

A smaller unfit dog in with a bigger weight dog that's done a bit. Will show you how game the young dog is when he is getting a bit of stick in the pit. If he does well after a few good roll.you can work out is he worth conditioning.

The young novice dog will get a good bit of stick.in with an experienced fit heavier dog. The odds are not in the young dogs favour.he will go in all guns blazing but will get his arse handed to him for every minute of the roll. That's when you will see how game he is. When under constant pressure with not much chance of winning the roll.

Max any bulldog only has so many hours of fighting in it throughout its life so you don't want to be wasting hours and risking serious injury by rolling it for hours at a time when you can find out what you need to to know by rolling it in everyday maintenance condition.

• Like 2

Why not condition two dogs to perfection

Match them at a fair weight for both

And give both a fair chance

Youl still see which one or if both or neither are game

Matching a unfit smaller dog into a bigger fitter dog just sounds plain daft to me.

You might just get a dog that could of became a Champion killed ?

When your MATCHING a dog, it will be conditioned to perfection and matched pound for pound with its opponent, but we're not talking MATCHING, we're talking schooling. A process to weed out the wheat from the chaff, to ascertain what dogs are worth staking your hard earned dollars on. Now bulldog man in the world would put a young un thru an 8 week keep to see what he's made off...

Yokel

• Like 3