Boxing At The Weekend...

2 minutes ago, Jobi said:

You can fine the fighters and that may make them more diligent but that still doesn't solve the problem when it actually does happen. 

Not just fining them, but some sort of ban as well if they keep reoffending

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Just got back from my lads first fight.  Think I was more nervous than him!

f****n embarrassing the whole event !....now we're all going to have to listen to these mma divs saying their fighters can hang with pro boxers well played Fury you big melt ! And we're supposed

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Not just fining them, but some sort of ban as well if they keep reoffending

I've thought of a few ideas that may be realistic. 

If fighter fails to make weight then allow the fight to go ahead providing a few circumstances.                                 

A. The fighter is over weight by x amount, anymore and the bout is called off

B. The fighter is deducted a substantial amount from his/her purse. 

C. A hydration clause is strictly adhered to, failing to do so results in the bout being called off, compulsory check weigh-in immediately before stepping in to the ring. 

D. If the fighter who fails to make weight is the champion he is stripped of his titles. 

E. Lengthy bans for repeat offenders. 

Edited by Jobi
6 hours ago, Astanley said:

They're not calling you names Maxie ,they gave you nickname ,that's a friendly thing to do ,it's their way of saying that no matter how much absolute idiotic drivel you spout ,no matter how mentally challenged you appear to be ,  you are still accepted as part of this community ,,.it's THL version of care in the community .

I can agree with that i think we all know a " Trigger " type theres no badness in it.....i actually know 2,sometimes one will get brought up in conversation and i have to say " who do you mean football Trigger or normal Trigger " ?......i think the character was great in small doses,too much time around them types can cause a certain reaction ( similar to the reaction you get from acid reflux ) and you just have to give them a wide berth for a while......the classic tell tale sign of a " Trigger " is when once you call them it they desperately rack their brains for an Only Fools and Horses character to call you in return.....not realising that its this type of predictable silliness that got them the nickname in the first place !

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Jobi said:

I've thought of a few ideas that may be realistic. 

If fighter fails to make weight then allow the fight to go ahead providing a few circumstances.                                 

A. The fighter is over weight by x amount, anymore and the bout is called off

B. The fighter is deducted a substantial amount from his/her purse. 

C. A hydration clause is strictly adhered to, failing to do so results in the bout being called off, compulsory check weigh-in immediately before stepping in to the ring. 

D. If the fighter who fails to make weight is the champion he is stripped of his titles. 

E. Lengthy bans for repeat offenders. 

Re point C.

Whats the point in a check weigh in before a fight ?.....a check weigh in is to stop a fighter rehydrating too much too quick......why not just have a weigh in before a fight,you either want fighters at their natural athletic weight or you dont.

Not picking holes squire as i agree in principal ?

2 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Thing is on here there are a few who like the sound of their own voice a little bit to much and get all het up and gung ho once their views are challenged .

A terrible character trait it is .

Whos that ?

18 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Re point C.

Whats the point in a check weigh in before a fight ?.....a check weigh in is to stop a fighter rehydrating too much too quick......why not just have a weigh in before a fight,you either want fighters at their natural athletic weight or you dont.

Not picking holes squire as i agree in principal ?

Fair point but you have to think of the fighters safety as well as the show. Let's not forget that the smaller fighter will have rehydrated himself and the check weigh-in at will at least prevent one fighter having a massive weight advantage come fight time. 

Making weight to the pound at an exact point in time is not easy as you know, look at the bulldog game as an example. How many dogs were matched bang on to their agreed weight?

I'm all for making it more equal but fighters could and would try and make weight in a class they shouldn't and would put themselves at great risk. 

A way to combat this is to have strict hydration tests before the bout, that would be a great method that would make same day weigh-in bouts safer. 

I want to see middleweights in the ring that are middleweights not light heavyweights, the only way to do that is to scrap the 24 hour weigh-in. 

Edited by Jobi
53 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Iv got to Disagree .

Fury has everything apart from a Devestating Wilder type punch.

Yes he has size but that just makes him more of an enigma.

A Bloke his size should just not possess the movement ' boxing ability and the stamina that he does .

His size as it relates to boxing doesnt make him " an enigma " it makes him hard to hit,simple.

" a bloke his size ".....shouldnt do well in hide and seek competitions but it doesnt make him better at it just because he,s big ?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Fair point but you have to think of the fighters safety as well as the show. Let's not forget that the smaller fighter will have rehydrated himself and the check weigh-in at will at least prevent one fighter having a massive weight advantage come fight time. 

Making weight to the pound at an exact point in time is not easy as you know, look at the bulldog game as an example. How many dogs were matched bang on to their agreed weight?

I'm all for making it more equal but fighters could and would try and make weight in a class they shouldn't and would put themselves at great risk. 

A way to combat this is to have strict hydration tests before the bout, that would be a great method that would make same day weigh-in bouts safer. 

I want to see middleweights in the ring that are middleweights not light heavyweights, the only way to do that is to scrap the 24 hour weigh-in. 

If you want to see a middleweight fight at middleweight then why are you talking about rehydrating ?.....when a fighter is using Iv's to replace fluids you can safely say there is an unnatural medical urgency,like i say mate you either want fighters at their natural athletic weights or you dont....the safety aspect helped fighters cheat the scales we cant have it all ways and no fighter is going to enter the ring dehydrated so when better to weigh them in than before a fight.

You mention bulldogs and as ive always said the greatest skill a conditioner can have is being able to find a dogs best weight.....weighing in 5 minutes before the match forced dogs to be at their best weight for best performance.....as it would with boxers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

If you want to see a middleweight fight at middleweight then why are you talking about rehydrating ?.....when a fighter is using Iv's to replace fluids you can safely say there is an unnatural medical urgency,like i say mate you either want fighters at their natural athletic weights or you dont....the safety aspect helped fighters cheat the scales we cant have it all ways and no fighter is going to enter the ring dehydrated so when better to weigh them in than before a fight.

You mention bulldogs and as ive always said the greatest skill a conditioner can have is being able to find a dogs best weight.....weighing in 5 minutes before the match forced dogs to be at their best weight for best performance.....as it would with boxers.

Because I know realistically that just won't work, I doubt many fights throughout the history of the sport had both combatants the same weight, you have to have some leeway or else it would end up a shambles. 

Speaking of bulldogs, there is an art to conditioning yes but how many dogs failed to make weight and had to pay the forfeit. 

5 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

It would prob leave fight fans disappointed Tomo if the don't make weight and fights are cancelled with hours to go.

Its no excuse but it would happen.

Far too many fighters are manipulating the 24 hour pre weigh in for a fight now, basically they are just weight bullys Canelo and Spence being prime examples.Canelo and a few others even refuse to be weighed in on fight night so nobody knows there true weight, all the fans know is the weight from the day before. Make the weigh in at 12 mid day on the day of the fight and then its a level playing field for all fighters. Its a lot easier for the “big” fighters to manipulate the 24 hour pre weigh in due to there wealth so nutritionists,dieticians and even chemists are employed,these “luxurys” not all fighters can afford. Ban all TUE usage as well which is another way for fighters to cheat, Mayweather being a prime example sitting with an iv in his arm the night before the Pacman fight, was he using it to re hydrate or flushing his system ?

Edited by MickC
On 03/09/2019 at 18:40, Jobi said:

That's according to Fury, it hasn't been confirmed yet. 

Top Rank boss Arum stated on Saturday that the Wilder v Fury fight is signed for 22nd February and the fight is happening, Fury wont be stepping aside. Its mentioned in an article on bn24 .

1 hour ago, Jobi said:

Because I know realistically that just won't work, I doubt many fights throughout the history of the sport had both combatants the same weight, you have to have some leeway or else it would end up a shambles. 

Speaking of bulldogs, there is an art to conditioning yes but how many dogs failed to make weight and had to pay the forfeit. 

Very few.....but i honestly dont see what is difficult or complicated about weighing 2 men to a certain weight limit and then have them fight at that weight.....if that is indeed what we want to do.

3 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Your one of them ?

But don't worry your not alone ?

I,ll tell you what is a far worse character trait than a chatterbox shall i.....a person who says the edgiest shit they can say to get a reaction from someone and then as soon as they get that reaction they do anything possible to back the person off.....the type of person who is confrontational right up until the confrontation looks like its going to get real and then they become a poor little victim.....its weak,bordering on feeble.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Very few.....but i honestly dont see what is difficult or complicated about weighing 2 men to a certain weight limit and then have them fight at that weight.....if that is indeed what we want to do.

It's not hard but the question is where would we draw the line. What happens if a fighter comes in only 1lb heavy? Yes I think it would be a great idea to have a weigh-in straight before they entered the ring providing strict hydration testing was done. 

Just think, today if Hagler was around he'd likely be fighting in the welterweight division. You watch old classic fights from the past and it's clear to see how much smaller they were in the ring when they had same day weigh-in's. 

• Like 1