Boxing At The Weekend...

On 30/01/2023 at 20:52, lurcherman 887 said:

Go on kell son 

I hope he catches up with the weasel who slyly took the video and sold it to the media. What a f****n lowlife. With friends like him, who needs enemies.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Just got back from my lads first fight.  Think I was more nervous than him!

f****n embarrassing the whole event !....now we're all going to have to listen to these mma divs saying their fighters can hang with pro boxers well played Fury you big melt ! And we're supposed

Posted Images

9 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I hope he catches up with the weasel who slyly took the video and sold it to the media. What a f****n lowlife. With friends like him, who needs enemies.

or just maybe, now it`s out in the open, he`ll see that snorting lines is not only bad for his health it can have serious consequences for his bank account

30 minutes ago, neil82 said:

or just maybe, now it`s out in the open, he`ll see that snorting lines is not only bad for his health it can have serious consequences for his bank account

I don't think people learn by being betrayed by friends. 

On 04/02/2023 at 21:43, jukel123 said:

Carl " the cat" Thompson could absorb punishment round after round and then knock out his opponent. He was hammered by David Haye relentlessly and then stopped him. He did the same against Rothman  in South Africa.

When he fought Johnny Nelson, the ref stopped the fight after Nelson had him on the ropes. It still drives Carl crazy to this day that the ref stopped in so early.  Carl didn't get going until he had received a good pummelling.

When it came to street hardness and the willingness to hang in there, even when you were semi conscious, CT had it in abundance. He trains a relation of mine now and you couldn't possibly meet a  nicer man. But in the ring he took some beating.

Was Thompson out of Phil Martins gym do you know ?......he was a Manchester lad as i remember and i know a lot of the top fighters in that era/area came out of Champs Camp.....he beat an old gym pal of mine Terry Dixon years ago in a close fight could of gone either way but he was a tough nut to crack and a solid fighter Thompson fair do's.

• Like 1
On 04/02/2023 at 21:52, jukel123 said:

We were debating " hardness" in boxers recently. Seems to me the top Russian and Ukrainian boxers have this in abundance now. Whereas,  as somebody put it, many of our boxers are just "gym rats".

I guess those ruskies and ukes don't have the same 'cushioning' they our lads are brought up with.

You’re right mate. Yarde, who I like, is a good example, amazing athlete, technically gifted and he can bang, but Beterbiev’s character trumped his ability the other night

I think culture plays a part and there’s definitely a link between poverty and successful boxers. Being poor’s a great motivator, but we’re too soft over here. I’m all for helping people who need it, but if you can’t be bothered you’ll typically get taken care of for free and still have enough money leftover for tattoos, fags, booze etc. 

I’m 39 and often look at my parents generation, the post war folk and am in ore of how solid they are, sadly that bulldog spirit has diminished over the generations (incl myself). 
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Was Thompson out of Phil Martins gym do you know ?......he was a Manchester lad as i remember and i know a lot of the top fighters in that era/area came out of Champs Camp.....he beat an old gym pal of mine Terry Dixon years ago in a close fight could of gone either way but he was a tough nut to crack and a solid fighter Thompson fair do's.

Yes mate. He was trained by Phil Martin in Moss Side. Moss Side was a no go area for strangers, even sixty years ago, especially whites. My grandad was one of the few white people left in Moss Side where knife crime was very common even back then. I used to visit him occasionally when I was a kid. A very risky business, especially as Moss Side was home to Man City's ground and I was a red. Lol

When I was a kid I was a member of Salford Lads Club. One of my classmates is still a boxing coach there. Around 1960, four of us were selected to box for the club against a Moss Side club..on their turf.

We got to this hall in Moss Side and, let's say the crowd was very partizan. There was a crowd of maybe 70 black kids in the hall, all baying for our blood. The ref was black too.

When It was my turn to box, my opponent rushed me and forced me into a corner and started rubbing his head into mine whilst pummelling my guts. My trainer was going berserk at the ref, but he was useless and just let the lad carry on.

Round 2 my trainer said to me , "you're letting him f****n bully you. If he does that again rabbit punch him non stop until the ref does something". It worked a treat, the ref split us up continually and we  were able to get on with the fight.

I actually won the fight and my opponent's dad, a big Jamaican bloke, who was also his second, came over to me, gave me a man hug and said "well done you deserved it" which was classy. It helped my overall confidence no end. One of the spin offs of  boxing for kids is increased self confidence.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Yes mate. He was trained by Phil Martin in Moss Side. Moss Side was a no go area for strangers, even sixty years ago, especially whites. My grandad was one of the few white people left in Moss Side where knife crime was very common even back then. I used to visit him occasionally when I was a kid. A very risky business, especially as Moss Side was home to Man City's ground and I was a red. Lol

When I was a kid I was a member of Salford Lads Club. One of my classmates is still a boxing coach there. Around 1960, four of us were selected to box for the club against a Moss Side club..on their turf.

We got to this hall in Moss Side and, let's say the crowd was very partizan. There was a crowd of maybe 70 black kids in the hall, all baying for our blood. The ref was black too.

When It was my turn to box, my opponent rushed me and forced me into a corner and started rubbing his head into mine whilst pummelling my guts. My trainer was going berserk at the ref, but he was useless and just let the lad carry on.

Round 2 my trainer said to me , "you're letting him f****n bully you. If he does that again rabbit punch him non stop until the ref does something". It worked a treat, the ref split us up continually and we  were able to get on with the fight.

I actually won the fight and my opponent's dad,  who was also his second, came over to me, gave me a man hug and said "well done you deserved it" which was classy. It helped my overall confidence no end. One of the spin offs of kids  boxing is increased self confidence.

It was a good area for fighters back in the 80's/90's i had a number of spars in Phil Martins gym it was above a derelict Co - Op as i remember and yes like many inner city gyms around the country racial tension was high until you opened the gym door then everyone was the same our Repton club down here was exactly the same,rivalries and nastiness on the street was kept out of the gym and you helped and supported each other as just an unwritten rule.

I remember Jimmy Egans gym in the mid 80's he moved around a few times and eventually settled just outside the M60 just near the airport there i forget what the area is called now likewise The Ardwick club,that used to be on Palmerston St it was a cracking little amateur gym....for years id nip in there for a chat if the Hammers were playing City then when the sheikhs came in and totally redeveloped the area i remember walking around where i thought it used to be but couldnt get my bearings and gave up trying to find it in the end !

Then there was John Celabanski's gym a little further up in Bradford that was a brilliant gym real intense,you knew you had to have your wits about you and quite a few people came unstuck whereas the Manchester gyms tended to be more community orientated and very friendly.....i first met Frank Grant in Celabanski's gym i dont know if it was this topic or another where we was discussing street hardness....well Frank could have it in a straightener and was one of the meanest,toughest black lads i ever came across i quite liked him to be fair.

Anyway nice to hear your old stories what age did you box until mate ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Only until my early teens. I started smoking and running after women and lost interest in training.

To be completely honest, I lacked that extra grit and determination that genuine boxers have. I admire it so much, but I lacked it. Having only average ability didn't help either.?

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

It was a good area for fighters back in the 80's/90's i had a number of spars in Phil Martins gym it was above a derelict Co - Op as i remember and yes like many inner city gyms around the country racial tension was high until you opened the gym door then everyone was the same our Repton club down here was exactly the same,rivalries and nastiness on the street was kept out of the gym and you helped and supported each other as just an unwritten rule.

I remember Jimmy Egans gym in the mid 80's he moved around a few times and eventually settled just outside the M60 just near the airport there i forget what the area is called now likewise The Ardwick club,that used to be on Palmerston St it was a cracking little amateur gym....for years id nip in there for a chat if the Hammers were playing City then when the sheikhs came in and totally redeveloped the area i remember walking around where i thought it used to be but couldnt get my bearings and gave up trying to find it in the end !

Then there was John Celabanski's gym a little further up in Bradford that was a brilliant gym real intense,you knew you had to have your wits about you and quite a few people came unstuck whereas the Manchester gyms tended to be more community orientated and very friendly.....i first met Frank Grant in Celabanski's gym i dont know if it was this topic or another where we was discussing street hardness....well Frank could have it in a straightener and was one of the meanest,toughest black lads i ever came across i quite liked him to be fair.

Anyway nice to hear your old stories what age did you box until mate ?

Martins gym  was a tough, tough place.  I remember it had a massive mural outside of Ali  Martin is supposed to have fought for the British title when  he had cancer but kept it quiet. He died very young. He was a leftie, hated Thatcher and was a speaker about politics. He trained a number of black champions who themselves went on to train others. Frank Grant was one of them.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Martins gym  was a tough, tough place.  I remember it had a massive mural outside of Ali  Martin is supposed to have fought for the British title when  he had cancer but kept it quiet. He died very young. He was a leftie, hated Thatcher and was a speaker about politics. He trained a number of black champions who themselves went on to train others. Frank Grant was one of them.

Phil represented his people and area very well he was a good 10 -15 years older than me but the first time i met him we nearly got into it....i was a cocky young lad up from London for sparring and as you say he was a raving leftie and made it clear he was none too fond of white people and i made no secret that i wasnt too keen on blacks.... he said words to the effect of " lets hope we only ever meet in the gym "...i didnt react too well and it could of gone either way but as i said before there was an unwritten rule in most city gyms and i was in his gaff after all......he had some presence about him and was a strong and honest trainer of fighters i forget what year he died early 90's maybe but i do remember feeling sad when i heard it as hotheaded horrible little shit as i was back then i knew deep down he was a good person....there was talk of having a statue of him in Moss Side i dont know if it ever came about ?

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 5
22 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Phil represented his people and area very well he was a good 10 -15 years older than me but the first time i met him we nearly got into it....i was a cocky young lad up from London for sparring and as you say he was a raving leftie and made it clear he was none too fond of white people and i made no secret that i wasnt too keen on blacks.... he said words to the effect of " lets hope we only ever meet in the gym "...i didnt react too well and it could of gone either way but as i said before there was an unwritten rule in most city gyms and i was in his gaff after all......he had some presence about him and was a strong and honest trainer of fighters i forget what year he died early 90's maybe but i do remember feeling sad when i heard it as hotheaded horrible little shit as i was back then i knew deep down he was a good person....there was talk of having a statue of him in Moss Side i dont know if it ever came about ?

I don't think a statue was ever put up for him. He deserves one. A lot of  champion boxers came out of his gym.

He also deserves a statue for telling Eubank senior to "f**k out of my gym". Eubank had come to Moss Side thinking he could solve the problems of the area. It didn't go down well.

I was told Eubank did immediately  as he was told and f****d off sharpish.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2