One For The Builders

Am going to build a double concrete section garage soonish,, looking for advice on making a concrete base that will be good enough for the job, and cheap as possible...

how deep should it be, will rebar be needed?

cheers

Edited by Joe1888

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it's like most things in the building game, the main structure relies on a good strong base, if it was mine, after digging out the "said" area, to the required depth, and deeper around the edges, and

Do the base to full spec, makes it easier to build an extra bedroom on top if you want.   Cheers, D.

Reinforced bar or mesh is not needed unless its going to be carrying loads of weight .. Minimum id do the concrete would be 4" but 6" would be better

Reinforced bar or mesh is not needed unless its going to be carrying loads of weight .. Minimum id do the concrete would be 4" but 6" would be better

• Like 1

good to get different opinions, am even more confused now lol.. before was thinking 4" hardcore then 4" concrete, has to be 2" above ground right? you guys any idea what prices those lorry mixers charge? i was considering getting one of those in, if its to much just hiring a site mixer and trying it myself

good to get different opinions, am even more confused now lol.. before was thinking 4" hardcore then 4" concrete, has to be 2" above ground right? you guys any idea what prices those lorry mixers charge? i was considering getting one of those in, if its to much just hiring a site

mixer and trying it myself

Take measurements of base and ring your local quarry/concrete yard and tell them how deep and they'll tell you how many metres of concrete you'll need and then see how much there going to charge for said ammount

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to get a ready mix Lorry in . Doing it all by yourself will be a right pain in the Arse and back breaking unless u get a few boys in to help . Mixing , barrow then tamping down on your own for the duration will be a nightmare . Better to get it delivered , get a few mates in for a few hours to help barrow then tamp will be quicker . It will cost but if u need to have a few mates for a few days you will have to chuck them some cash aswell so might not be as expensive as you think

It depends on the ground how much subase you need if u got 2oomm of top soil or shit ground it must come out,then b based out and compacted properly. I would deepen concrete around perimeter were the sides of garage sit ,where its obviously taken load.shutter it up properly, square,and level then you can pull off concrete with straight edge.concrete's about 80 to 85 pounf a cubic metre,prob more for s part load which it will be.

Or get a mini mix of 4 cube !

It's not really cost effective to mix anything more than a cubic metre by hand, I have costed it both ways thousands of times, it's my job, ready mix all day long, depends on your area what they charge, expect anything from £70 a cube to £120.

4 inch (100mm) is enough for a double garage, PROVIDING the sub base is sound, and well compacted on good solid up disturbed ground, no made up ground, bust be a good bearing strata 100mm hardcore and 100mm Connie, job done, I love garage bases, knock them out every day.

If you decide to mix by hand you must remember, 1 cube of Connie is 2.4 tonnes of gravel, sand, cement and water.

If your mixing by hand I would make it 150mm of Connie as you won't get as good a mix as ready mixed

Type the size of your base in this link and it will tell you how much you need mate http://www.easymixconcrete.com/concrete-calculator/?origin=sitelink-m-cc&gclid=COOhjtHy_MsCFckaGwod6TQMSg

I paid around £100 a cubic metre pal

Mine was 21 cubic meters! So at that price £2100! I paid two builders with an electric cement mixer £800!

• Like 1