Terriers Vocation

Just been on a four day jaunt down south on a fox drive with a good mate of mine,

.and had the opportunity to see a couple of jagd terriers graft in the flesh so to speak.

Same size as any of our native terriers , maybe longer in the muzzle.

We took a couple of hounds with us an a runner that marks true.

The hounds new their job an soon had a strong mark , jagd bitch was entered , engaged for an hour tops . Then after a couple of digs to a tidy little brown bitch , it was time for the male jagd to strutt his stuff.

Again hounds marked a biggish spot , dog entered done a hour and a half an came out wankered.

Is this a trait of the breed ?

I've always wondered why people import working dogs to our shores , most of all terriers.

Working tests , certificates, medals for going to ground in manmade tunnels an cages at the end and baying at caged quarry.

When the shit hits the fan an soil replaces wood an the quarry bites back these dogs were found wanting.

We are a canine nation to the bone and already have the best working terrier breeds in the world . Maybe others have better luck with this type but I found them gassy and short winded on the whole.

post-101513-0-27116600-1459121919_thumb.jpeg

Scoobydoo watches an waits

post-101513-0-57697900-1459122010_thumb.jpeg

• Like 19

It could well be a trait.......but then russels, black dogs, lakelands, plummers & borders have been known to jack too.....

I can't comment on plummers, but I've seen all the above types come away at some point, especially on certain game. Inferior terriers. Maybe you saw inferior jagds?

As for importing working dogs.......if you've ever seen a good GWP work (for example), you'd know why some folk have done it.....

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2

Good honest post Treehands.

Haven't any experience of Jagd terriers myself but the 4 that I know of brought in all were got rid of by their new owners.

They seen the videos, heard the stories and seen the ££££££££££££££££££££ signs. All ended up out of money.

Thankfully in this part of the world most of us put reality before fiction when it comes to working terriers. You only have to look at what breeds / types are most commonly used by serious lads.

Lets face it if we all believed the stories from the net etc. and wanted the very very best, terriers that can find and stay for hours before the hours of digging starts because they don't need a locator and the aim of the game was single handed badger dogs then we would all keep Fox Terriers. A breed that the terriermen of this part of the world gave up on years ago.

• Like 5

ditto FD i find it quite amazeing that when i take the bedlingtons to europe on the badgers all of a sudden they all want bedlingtons , work what suits you and your country and let the story s craic on

• Like 3

one of my pals had abit of bad luck with some young dogs he had and was left in a position where he didnt have his own dog to go out with, he couldnt wait for one of us lot to gift him another to run on so he jumped in feet first and bought a young jagd dog (£500), it showed early signs of turning into a earth dog with some easy do's, my pal was impressed with it so went out and bought a young bitch (£600), again this bitch showed early signs of making a dog, we then turned it up a gear for them and after acouple of digs, well i say digs ! what digs we had to them we broke through to a different dog after those useless things had walked, they were fuckers for wanting to fight and noisey twats tied up after they had walked, dont think anyone of two did over a hour to ground, lets say my pals over a grand lighter and moved back into something that stays,

• Like 1

it would surprise me if the countries that have less restrictions than us have nothing of worth. of course folk can only comment on what they see but you have to wonder if its the dreggs that get sent over by dealers with no standards.

• Like 3

it would surprise me if the countries that have less restrictions than us have nothing of worth. of course folk can only comment on what they see but you have to wonder if its the dreggs that get sent over by dealers with no standards.

if your importing them your probably not getting good stuff, your getting dogs off a peddler looking to cash in on the breed. Youve only yourself to blame if you havent seen the parents work.

I doubt the majority of those jagds are probably suitable as out & out digging dogs, they were never originally bred for that......but no doubt some exist.

Zilverhaze off here dug to a decent one to badger in Eastern Europe, but that's just one haha......

....on the flip side, we're forever reading on here how lads can't source decent dogs or don't know the right folk, lads complaining about jacker after jacker & that's black dogs etc.

I myself drove to Sweden to look at some jagds, but I wasn't confident enough to take the plunge, got gifted a well bred fell bitch instead & she jacked! Hahaha....

But this comes close to balanced view & that's not what was required on this thread, was it? Haha

• Like 4

I doubt the majority of those jagds are probably suitable as out & out digging dogs, they were never originally bred for that......but no doubt some exist.

Zilverhaze off here dug to a decent one to badger in Eastern Europe, but that's just one haha......

....on the flip side, we're forever reading on here how lads can't source decent dogs or don't know the right folk, lads complaining about jacker after jacker & that's black dogs etc.

I myself drove to Sweden to look at some jagds, but I wasn't confident enough to take the plunge, got gifted a well bred fell bitch instead & she jacked! Hahaha....

But this comes close to balanced view & that's not what was required on this thread, was it? Haha

Despite the long threads on here shouting the virtues of jagd there are very few to match our best dogs to ground .We may have tighter laws here but our standards are way higher than Europe regards one dog one dig however long .As said treehands ,what did owners have to say .

• Like 1

You could be right about imported blood accip , and maybe bringing on a puppy would have better effect long term.

But they were entered terriers with a working ticket !!!

As for our own breeds , i also seen the same traits. I used to have a russel that was a gift from a friend .

A nice stamp of terrier that would tick all boxes . She entered well at 14mth but became gassy and intermittent before her fourth season ended. I liked the dog too much to part company but never would she be bred from and died barren at 15.

the ££££££ gets in the way at times and morals can be dropped just for a couple more .

Nothing worse than being two thirds down on an eleven footer to look up an see the dog looking back !!!!!

The owner of the jagds is a good lad , I could only suggest back to basics , bond and re enter slowly.

Voice is another thing that seems lacking in some dogs and totally reliable on the bellman.

• Like 8