Back Filling

it starts before digging on grass land cut and remove turf and stack it up usually you've cut a square depending on depth to what size it is , after you've done your pest control , refill with the soil you have removed but because you are also filling the tube or stop end you may need to carry some earth from a spoil heap, stamp the soil down and replace the tuft easy ? not for the muppets i had to tidy up for this morning !

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 7

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This place has been worked dozens of times over the years but it's never held until today. I tried one of my dog pups who's keen as mustard, he marked a place the other day and marked this one too. I

All done and backfilled nice, one happy farmer

many reasons why they don't backfill correctly.... as has been said already its easier to put back in than it is to take out.....so the 1st main reason is LAZINESS...2nd... No Permission and have chan

Posted Images

Never understood folk that don't do it it's the bloddy easiest part of the job

It is if you have time to do it,i despise with a vengeance the lazy useless feckwits that ruin a spot because they cannot be arsed to tidy up after themselves,sometimes you may need to do it another day and as long as its done fair play.

many reasons why they don't backfill correctly.... as has been said already its easier to put back in than it is to take out.....so the 1st main reason is LAZINESS...2nd... No Permission and have chanced it, got the fox then bolted themselves without leaving the place the same as they got it... simple logic would tell them that if they had no permission and farmer comes on them he is less chance of flaring up if there tiding the place correctly... 3rd they opened a few pits never got there fox and like there dogs were just not up to the job and said flip it leave sure who gives a hoot ill sell this terrier now and im out of this game...

Anyone who is serious about wildlife management with terriers and been at it a while and are serious about there fieldcraft will leave the burrow and land better than it was before, when they leave it. and when going to spots that are known to be deeper than 4 foot I have started bringing a tarpaulin 2x2 m it cost me 2.99 in B&Q threw two bits of rope with pegs on it through the eyelids and its a tidy job .... lift sods set them aside, and throw muck on the tarpaulin... specially on pasture or grazing land. if its deeper than 2m you still may have a wee bit of spoil on the grass but fill that in make it tidy backfill in as usual on top of tarpaulin but that's sound at least your not tramping it into grass your on top of plastic....fill in 2 foot jump all over the top so make sure its all compact and the stops filled... and then 2 men grab the rope each end of the tarpaulin and fill the dig with the rest of the spoil.... make sure its at least 6 inches above field level and replace the sods!

• Like 8

what the hell is a bridge one of those make shift twigs or stones over the end you have just dug? if so that kind of stuff is for beginners who read books... a nights rain would cave that in if deeper than 4ft.... when you leave and even after a fortnights rain you want a bump in the field where you had been digging not a depression..... theres enough of that on this site....

• Like 3

And dont bridge it!!!

why dont bridge rob bridge many a set and stilll been used to this day,we have even delivered 20 2 ft x 2ft slabs to a wood where there are a few sets bridged many times dug down found slags lift and ya in slab back down backfill and jobs a good one

• Like 1

what the hell is a bridge one of those make shift twigs or stones over the end you have just dug? if so that kind of stuff is for beginners who read books... a nights rain would cave that in if deeper than 4ft.... when you leave and even after a fortnights rain you want a bump in the field where you had been digging not a depression..... theres enough of that on this site....

you bridge a set properly all the rain in the world wont move it

• Like 2

they dont realise if not backfilled properly they will eventually loose the earth as quarry will move out

if your terriers doing its job properly you won't be blocking tubes just loosing maybe 2ft of a stop end.If you start chucking logs and tree stumps in there you've then got to dig that shit out the next time the quarry goes to that stop end
  • Like 1

And dont bridge it!!!

why dont bridge rob bridge many a set and stilll been used to this day,we have even delivered 20 2 ft x 2ft slabs to a wood where there are a few sets bridged many times dug down found slags lift and ya in slab back down backfill and jobs a good one
many lads bridge with wet wood which soon breaks down when the ground saturates with water, resulting in the dig collapsing and looking a mess. Seen many like this round me. i just dont see it a necessity.
  • Like 1

fill it in with the natural clay or whatever landscape your digging in,,,, that way everything is organic and natural. livestock wont tramp it in and tractors wont bust a link or slip a drive if the dig over it.... it cant cave in if filled in properly?

seen many a set ruined by dog catching quarry mid tube and lads not bridgeing and set ruined never holding again,i had 2 sets like that 2 years ago that hunt left in a right state went back last summer bridged 2 holes in one set 1 on the other and had quarry this year from both sometimes its a must imo

seen many a set ruined by dog catching quarry mid tube and lads not bridgeing and set ruined never holding again,i had 2 sets like that 2 years ago that hunt left in a right state went back last summer bridged 2 holes in one set 1 on the other and had quarry this year from both sometimes its a must imo

like any job, if done properly it will last. Its when its done halfheartedly with bits of branches, it results in a mess.
  • Like 2