Birds "please Add Yours"

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great photos already.   These are some of my favorites I have taken                 Grey Wagtail   Kestrel

Had a bit of luck today. SD.

Short eared owl       Great spotted woodpecker     Nuthatch    

Posted Images

American Teal I think?

teal1.JPG

teal2.JPG

teal3.JPG

teal4.JPG

Have you edited the photos? Because there is little difference in the green eye flash between the American and Eurasian teal in fact they have the same Latin name Anus Crecca only the American version has Carolinensis at the end of it. Yet your pics the green eye flash looks blue.

TC

American Teal I think?

teal1.JPG

teal2.JPG

teal3.JPG

teal4.JPG

Have you edited the photos? Because there is little difference in the green eye flash between the American and Eurasian teal in fact they have the same Latin name Anus Crecca only the American version has Carolinensis at the end of it. Yet your pics the green eye flash looks blue.

TC

Tiercel they came out with blue eye flashes all of them! That's what threw me, might have been the lighting conditions which were bright but weird and most of my pics came out worse that I expected for a sunny day. I did apply so filters but nothing that changed the colours. Could just be the reflection of the sun?

What camera do you have Pinacle? So far anything moving comes out blurry and needs loads of post editing. I understand that the more I zoom in the slower the shutter speed but I'd love to get pictures of birds in flight like that.

I have two but usually take a Canon 7Dii and a Sigma 150-600mmC lens with me most of the time for walks and wildlife the other one I only really use for sports.

Most DSLR cameras will be able to be used for in flight shots but I am not sure about compact or mirrorless systems as their auto focus is said to be slower. I have also been taking wildlife photos for years, a lot of the time with my dogs in tow on leads so almost one handed, practice does help.

It is best to use as higher shutter speed as possible but it is a balancing act especially for owls at dusk. I usually shoot wildlife in manual with the aperture as wide open a I can, auto ISO with a limit of ISO 12800 which I find is the max with this camera and still be able to get rid of noise, this is very high but if I nail focus I can then work on the photos noise. I would not look to go below 1/640 for birds as you would start to blur out wings with their movement.

Your shutter speed only slows down as you zoom due to the aperture of the lens getting smaller so letting in less light and unfortunately if it is blurry to start with it really cant be fixed. A good place to start is a local lake or pond where there is a lot going on. Set your shutter speed to 1/1000 or over if you can and then let the camera do the rest whilst you do some panning.

It will be dragonflies in flight soon which is great fun with manual focus and even better if there is something wanting to eat them.

27562854295_687df7d547_c.jpg

A Hobby chasing chasers by Martin Billard, on Flickr