Larger Hunting/bushing Dogs

roybo

Although I like a beagle or foxhound

I also had the pleasure (?) Of being out until 10pm looking for them.

But thanks Morton, just wondered of anyone hunted with bigger cross breeds or hound crosses and to understand the type of dogs they became. Not in any rush to buy anytime soon

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My brother in law had 2 gwp x harrier bitches a few years back they were great in heavy cover and good tounge, one was killed on the road hunting a fox we took the other bitch on when she was about 10

These two are ok.     But I reckon this could be a good one. . . . .  

Cracking looking bitch  

Posted Images

I can honestly say that my 24" Airedale lurcher can get anywhere the terriers can. It might take a bit longer to push under a bramble and pull out a rabbit they've caught, and she comes out full of thorns in her head and her ears dripping blood, but she gets there in the end, and if she finds stuff in brambles by herself, then she'll push in until she reaches it or pushes it out. No bramble is a match for her determination. I reckon it's all in how a dog's brain is configured. If it has the genes which tell it to get into cover, it will, no matter what its size.

• Like 5

I can honestly say that my 24" Airedale lurcher can get anywhere the terriers can. It might take a bit longer to push under a bramble and pull out a rabbit they've caught, and she comes out full of thorns in her head and her ears dripping blood, but she gets there in the end, and if she finds stuff in brambles by herself, then she'll push in until she reaches it or pushes it out. No bramble is a match for her determination. I reckon it's all in how a dog's brain is configured. If it has the genes which tell it to get into cover, it will, no matter what its size.

Good point. Thats what i was trying to get at on the ' bedlington x whippet for bushing' thread .

I think the point comes down to yes some large dogs will push through cover no question, although there is no chance they would be getting through the hawthorn bushes and certain hedgerows I hunt it's just not physically possible. If a 11tts terrier is belly dog weaving through Secondly why would you want a large dog to if you have dogs for the job that can fly through cover and not take much punishment. I have a whippety Lurcher he would enter cover as a pup and get ripped to shreds, not what he is for so I discourage it a best I can and he is a better dog for learning the settle around cover a little. I wouldn't be expecting my terrier to run downs rabbit, suitable dogs for his in my eyes atb

• Like 1

My reason for asking wasn't so much for a dog to push through tight cover like brambles etc or hedgerows ,more finding and hunting up in woodland and more open farmland ,but with a little more control than say a pure hound ,but also be slightly too big to go to ground ,as I've had smaller terrier cross spaniels that have gone to ground on hot scent and if they are a fair way in front it can get sticky.

My reason for asking wasn't so much for a dog to push through tight cover like brambles etc or hedgerows ,more finding and hunting up in woodland and more open farmland ,but with a little more control than say a pure hound ,but also be slightly too big to go to ground ,as I've had smaller terrier cross spaniels that have gone to ground on hot scent and if they are a fair way in front it can get sticky.

a lurcher off pairents that do that work would do you fine jest pic a smalling bitch from a litter so its not to big for you will show a lot of hound crosses up if you get the right one mate

Ive got three collies that I've started to do quite a lot of bushing with, and they are really picking it up well. Two of them are also keen as hell on the lamp and have caught a few rabbits and rats. . . . got a plan on trying them on some other bits and bobs, so we shall see. . . . .

• Like 2