No More Collie Greys

Most lads,..myself included,...(although I am hardly a lad these days :laugh:).....choose to keep the type of hybrid lurcher, that suits their needs,...it really is as simple as that....

To compare,..two completetly different types,..one against t'other,...is foolish...

In reality,..if you are a real, dyed in the wool, enthusiast,..with a perchant to improve and perhaps try to create your own desired type of hunting dog,..then a whole lot of judicious breeding (and unfortunately, culling) needs to take place :yes:

A first cross Collie x Greyhound suits me just fine,...and I've seen some real nice Greyhound / Battle Dogs,...but, both of these splendid types can definitely be improved upon....

Such a task is arduous, and as stated,..requires a hell of a lot of determination, willpower and good luck,...to secure that precious, end product.... :thumbs:

Anyway, best wishes, to all crosses,..regards, Phil.

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhereyourenot - Don't take this the wrong way, but how old are you?   And second question. . . . .. how many good bull x's have you seen work? You've obviously seen some decent enough collie gre

I used to run bull crosses an my brother bred 2 litters of first cross collies an as it said above they picked what they wanted none mad the grade as a fox dog but av a collie bull now an he ticks e

A bull in its own right is an inteligent dog. I think some people think they are just muscle bound thick dogs far from it. Easily trainable.very eager to please you. High prey drive.very high pain

. if you want to breed yourself a pup you look at the bitch and work out how to improve on her...i

If the bitch needs "improving upon" should we be breeding from it? just a thought.

Surely trench.... That will Keats be the way until someone breeds the perfect lurcher......

Every generation should in theory be an improvement on the last .....

I agree, the whole thrust of breeding working lurchers should be to improve the "breed". But I have lost count of the number of times I have seen average dogs bred off, just to give them that "something" they are missing. When in truth, the owner should be more honest and source his next pup from elsewhere. It reminds me of the joke where a bloke is driving through liverpool, and stops to ask a passerby directions; "whats the best way to get to Birmingham?". The passerby replies, "well I wouldn't start from here mate!" ;)

If you are happy with the dam and you want a pup you find a suitable sire and also enjoy the breeding and whelping process why would you buy a pup in ?

• Like 3

Too many people breed from mediocre bitches.

Regards colliex and fox I started out with colliexs and never had a good one on fox. I had a lad come out one night whos hancock dog eventually had a grab at the arse end of a fox my dog was destroying at the time. The lad got very excited and went round telling everyone his dog did fox. It would not look at one on its own,but was offered at stud because it was a good fox dog.

• Like 2

i would never own a straight collie/grey or a bull/grey. prefer a blend of traits. as do many hence why its becoming harder to find certain breed types not washed with others. yeah it can be a lottery with lurcher to lurcher but someone wins it each week lol i think the way lurchers should be bred for is working ability. not percentages. shouldnt cares whats in it so much but more how the said dog is performing. i rarely ask what breeds are in a dog when seeking a pup all i care about is the parents are doing the job i want consistantly and same a few generations before the parents. think to many get breed blind/tied. im kind of glad there aint as many straight first cross collie/greys or bull/greys lol cos how many of there parents are truely tested.

:thumbs:

I'm not a bull x fan but bottom line is a drop of bull blood in any lurcher mix adds good things I'm more a traditional type of lurcher owner I like collie xs beddlinton xs an deerhouns xs but if I was ever buying a pup in an it had a drop of bull blood in there it wouldn't put me off if the parents doing the biz

• Like 2

I'm not a bull x fan but bottom line is a drop of bull blood in any lurcher mix adds good things I'm more a traditional type of lurcher owner I like collie xs beddlinton xs an deerhouns xs but if I was ever buying a pup in an it had a drop of bull blood in there it wouldn't put me off if the parents doing the biz

There are good and bad points in any breed of Lurcher and some of the best I've seen have been pedigree unknown. if you want to breed yourself a pup you look at the bitch and work out how to improve on her...in my case it was adding a little bull blood by means of a very handy dog of a mate on THL. the pups all turned out as expected ,intelligent ,obedient, good stamina and temperament but with more drive and commitment than the 1st cross.

We can't categorise every collie/ grey or bull cross ...we can only speak on experience of what we have owned or seen for ourselves.

My opinion on a 1st cross collie/grey is that it is a perfect starting point to help you breed the type of lurcher that you need or want for your own circumstances.

Best post on this thread imho!

• Like 2