No More Collie Greys

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhereyourenot - Don't take this the wrong way, but how old are you?   And second question. . . . .. how many good bull x's have you seen work? You've obviously seen some decent enough collie gre

I used to run bull crosses an my brother bred 2 litters of first cross collies an as it said above they picked what they wanted none mad the grade as a fox dog but av a collie bull now an he ticks e

A bull in its own right is an inteligent dog. I think some people think they are just muscle bound thick dogs far from it. Easily trainable.very eager to please you. High prey drive.very high pain

I wrote a reply and clicked off the page ffs! Lol

All I was saying is I Duno why collie x ain't as popular to use as a bull x, as they aren't. Because all ther ones I know of are flying on rabbit hare fox b deer. Didn't mean to sound like I was having a dig but it seems the same shit posted about collie x picking runs and jacking. I seen plenty bull x and what their bred for they are good.

Il never change my opinion of, if you want a all rounder you be better off sourcing a collie x over a bull x. Add them together and you might get some thing special. If you want an out n out fox killer and EITHER pig dog then to me the obvious choice would be a bull x.

Wouldn't take a collie X out sqeaking foxes in where there go a get cosh off half a dozen a night same as I wouldn't take a bull cross up the moors where they have to hunt for sometimes hours on end miles in front of you to find foxy dogs for jobs sure there will be ones out there that do hunt the reverse of wat I've mentioned but on the whole different breeds suit different jobs

I've watched a good bull x for the last 6 years or so and it's opened my eyes to them TBH, very biddable and does everything you'd expect, the bloke behind the lead is no mug though, I do believe that for a dog with the sort of drive this one has you need to know what your about, I wouldn't say it's a dog for the beginner to the game. Thats perhaps where the problems with Bull x's have came from, the status over rides the fact some of these lads don't have a clue. Most of us would have been rabbiting from an early age, some of the lads aren't interested in catching the humble rabbit from the off, and get the Bull x to go and " kill shit"... I might be wrong but that's how I see it.

I've seen a lot of Colie x's over the years (as a youngster it was the main X we had about), and no doubt a good one is a very good tool, especially for rabbiting...

The pup I'm bringing on now is 1/4 bull the rest running dog, she's been a pleasure far and is far from stupid, but time will tell.

I

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1

. if you want to breed yourself a pup you look at the bitch and work out how to improve on her...i

If the bitch needs "improving upon" should we be breeding from it? just a thought.

I think so mate...isn't trying to improve a part of breeding ?

• Like 1

i would never own a straight collie/grey or a bull/grey. prefer a blend of traits. as do many hence why its becoming harder to find certain breed types not washed with others. yeah it can be a lottery with lurcher to lurcher but someone wins it each week lol i think the way lurchers should be bred for is working ability. not percentages. shouldnt cares whats in it so much but more how the said dog is performing. i rarely ask what breeds are in a dog when seeking a pup all i care about is the parents are doing the job i want consistantly and same a few generations before the parents. think to many get breed blind/tied. im kind of glad there aint as many straight first cross collie/greys or bull/greys lol cos how many of there parents are truely tested.

• Like 2

. if you want to breed yourself a pup you look at the bitch and work out how to improve on her...i

If the bitch needs "improving upon" should we be breeding from it? just a thought.

Surely trench.... That will Keats be the way until someone breeds the perfect lurcher......

Every generation should in theory be an improvement on the last .....

• Like 2

Wouldn't take a collie X out sqeaking foxes in where there go a get cosh off half a dozen a night same as I wouldn't take a bull cross up the moors where they have to hunt for sometimes hours on end miles in front of you to find foxy dogs for jobs sure there will be ones out there that do hunt the reverse of wat I've mentioned but on the whole different breeds suit different jobs

And the amazing thing about lurchers is that some people have a lot of success killing multiple foxes a night with a collie. And others have a lot of success hunting big open moorland or forestry with a bull x.

That's dogs for you!

• Like 4

Surely trench.... That will Keats be the way until someone breeds the perfect lurcher......

Every generation should in theory be an improvement on the last .....

I agree, the whole thrust of breeding working lurchers should be to improve the "breed". But I have lost count of the number of times I have seen average dogs bred off, just to give them that "something" they are missing. When in truth, the owner should be more honest and source his next pup from elsewhere. It reminds me of the joke where a bloke is driving through liverpool, and stops to ask a passerby directions; "whats the best way to get to Birmingham?". The passerby replies, "well I wouldn't start from here mate!" ;)