Tips For Recall

As above really we have a 10 or 11 month old rescue lurcher looks like a saluki with colie fur and feet but no idea of the cross she is fine with other dogs but recall is non existant we are the fifth home to have her so maybe is a trust thing but it took me 30 mins to get her back on sunday and even then i had to go and get her not her to me. Im used to staffies which in comparison are very easy to train do i need to lead walk her for a month or so and build up some trust as shes only been with us a few days. Help greatly apreciated as i want to get her good enough to work with

Try an electric training collar if used properly and the dog is properly conditioned to it before use you should get more or less instant results. I bought the sportdog collar for a very head strong dog I had. Only used it for a week or 2 n didn't have a problem after that n didn't need the collar on anymore.

You will need to keep her on a lead for at least 4 weeks, during which time you spend as much time as possible building a good relationship with her. Hand feed her so she comes to associate you with physically giving her food and not just chucking a bowl on the ground. Once she is looking to you, really engaging eye contact, then you can start playing with her. Play builds bonds. Try using a furry lure to reel her in. Getting the dog in prey drive and being with you is one of the most important aspects of rehabilitating an untrained dog. Of course it will take time for her to unlearn the wrong habits that she has had her whole life to get into, think months rather than days or weeks. Treating her like a falcon which comes to the lure really does help. Chasing stuff is probably the only pure joy she has: use that desire to bring her to you: once she has locked on to the fact that you provide an outlet for her prey drive you are half way there to a good recall.

• Like 3

You will need to keep her on a lead for at least 4 weeks, during which time you spend as much time as possible building a good relationship with her. Hand feed her so she comes to associate you with physically giving her food and not just chucking a bowl on the ground. Once she is looking to you, really engaging eye contact, then you can start playing with her. Play builds bonds. Try using a furry lure to reel her in. Getting the dog in prey drive and being with you is one of the most important aspects of rehabilitating an untrained dog. Of course it will take time for her to unlearn the wrong habits that she has had her whole life to get into, think months rather than days or weeks. Treating her like a falcon which comes to the lure really does help. Chasing stuff is probably the only pure joy she has: use that desire to bring her to you: once she has locked on to the fact that you provide an outlet for her prey drive you are half way there to a good recall.

Thanks very much i though keeping on the lead would be good be a good idea my wife and i are also booked in for dog training classes as of the 13th im using sausage bits and a retractable lead at the moment to bring her in. Its still only her fourth day and living with another dog for the first time so i dont mind how long it takes as long as we get there id like to be able to walk her off lead and send her off for a rabbit or call he off something. Anyway lovely looking dog just needs a bit of weight on i will get a pic up if i can work out how to if anyone is interested

skycat has prity much told you how to build the bond and how to draw her in BUT as a difference of opinion id find a small enclosed field she can still have a mad run in. if it is heavily saluki saturated 4 weeks on a lead could cause more issues. salukis dont do well left on the lead for long periods and once off have that erge just to pure release. you could be like pure gold but all those weeks of bent up energy will release and recall could be just as hard. def do all the hand feeding and playing in the house garden with games and tug but i'd still let her have her run in a smaller controlled environment where she can run and you can still do these games. i think she would come on quicker and be a happier dog on the way. just my experience with salukis

A long long nylon line , buy a roll cheap online fit a d clasp on one end, 20 meters would be a good lenght , as the man said dogs love movement, a lead even a retractable one restricts energy in the dog , they have learnt they can't fully express themselves on a lead, which means the dog will be holding back and in its relationship with you ,

Longer line reduces lead aggressions also because there is no restriction in the dogs mind , you don't need to hold it let it trail behind dog, easy to grab up if something occurs,

No training , no hunting for the moment , until the dog settles in it will be manovering in your world through instinct which is a fear based method of survival so no negetive experiences as they will plough a deep furrow in the dogs view of you

And as long been advocated , feck away the bowl and feed all by hand , and after a few weeks get the heeling , sitting and box train the down for food , takes a bit more prep to feed by hand but bowl feeding at that stage can let fear creep in , dogs feel very vulnerable when feeding and if a dog can feed only from you , it will help get over huge resistance and reduce anxiety , feed while out ,

don't play with dog in the house whatever you do it will just lead to the dog believing the house is a f***ing play area and you will have to confront it for playing in the future, inside calm outside play and keep to that if there is zero stimulation in the home the dog has less seperation anxiety and doesn't need to flip out when your not there , dog don't get rehomed because they can't catch a lot of dogs get rehomed because they're b*****ds to live with

Best of luck

I would leave the training classes for now , classes can be a hostile environment for an unsure dog , build trust and let anxiety fade before hyper stimulating the dog , the dog is untrainable if it's looking at the world through fear based goggles

Edited by Casso
  • Like 3

Quite agree about training classes. You are setting out with the best of intentions, but lurchers, and particularly those with Saluki in them, are highly sensitive to the vibes that other dogs give of, and if, as you say, she hasn't lived with another dog before, then she may be doubly terrified of finding herself in what could be a chaotic environment where some of the other dogs may have no self control and be wound up and barking etc.

Get her used to your home first, for at least two months. It takes a month for a dog to even begin to settle into a new home, and before that you won't know her much at all. Take the time to learn who she is, what she likes, what frightens her. Most rescue dogs don't even know how to play with their owners, and if yours has already had several homes she may have learned that humans are unreliable at best, and plain horrible at worst. She may have even shut down completely, which gives the impression that she is very laid back, when in reality she may just be holding herself small and careful not to be noticed. Dogs in this state feel as though they are prey, not predator.

Most training classes are very far from being geared towards the sighthound mindset, ditto the people who run these classes. Fido and Bonzo, mongrelly Labs or heinz57s can cope fine with all the vibes and unseen currents that flow between people and dogs, but your lurcher may find it all impossible to understand or cope with.

As I said in the previous post, once she is confident with you, then you can start to access her prey drive in order to attract and maintain her interest in you. I'd forget all the sit, lie downs etc for a good long while. Work only on the recall, at home first, then when out walking, but be prepared for positive contact from her to take many months of patience. Good luck with her.

• Like 1

Only thing I can add to advise already mentioned is when/if she is already coming towards you of her own accord (whether its inside or out) is to call her and encourage her to you, just to confirm the correct response to the recall command.

And best of luck, and good on you for taking on a rescue dog!