Muntjac

Would anyone say they where the slowest easiest to catch for a running dog out of the deer species

Only ever ran andcaught one in my life and that was years ago (pre ban) it took the dog over a few feilds and a brook and gave some nasty marks to the in experienced young dog at the time

What made me ask was out walking today and put a pair of them up and they didn't look very fast compared to roe

I heard they are the easiest of all deer species to catch in the open. Not so much in dense cover or woods. They seem to have a knack of vanishing.

And the Bucks can give an inexperienced dog a hard time.

Only what ive been told from lads who did them pre ban. Lol

• Like 1

may not be the fastest but they can turn on a tanner and will use everything and anything available to gain an advantage to reach cover, once in cover they are back in there element and the advantage is reversed. young bucks can motor in the open. does will almost certainly have a young sucker hidden somewhere nearby so her main aim is to draw any predators away, old bucks will have learnt where there advantage lies.

may not be the fastest but they can turn on a tanner and will use everything and anything available to gain an advantage to reach cover, once in cover they are back in there element and the advantage is reversed. young bucks can motor in the open. does will almost certainly have a young sucker hidden somewhere nearby so her main aim is to draw any predators away, old bucks will have learnt where there advantage lies.

yep all very spot on. i also find some will squat in cover also in the hope you will walk by. almost rabbit like. fun little deer to run in woodland. amazes me sometimes the cover they hit and go straight through and the dog just rebounds.

If it took your dogs a fiew fields it must've been pretty sharp, or were your dogs a tad slow?

It was tough scrubby land with a brook through it it was also pitch black with no lamp as j slipped if in a track and it dissapered but dog stayed with it amazingly