Scabby Dog

About 6 weeks ago my dog got caught up in barbed wire, not for the first time, and healed up OK apart from the tip of his ear. I have bathed it with salt water removed the scab and bathed it sprayed it with purple spray but it just won't heal. my mates dog split her ear but healed OK if in two pieces but its healed up clean, now starting to wonder about this Alabama rot thing that's going round.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

The only way to stop ears bleeding is to immobilise them. Once its scabbed over then cut the toe off a sock and put that over his head. That way the ear can't move to knock the scab and he can't shake to set it off either. They can work with it on too, i've lamped dogs like it with no problem although i do think it impairs there hearing.

• Like 2

If you look on my little fellas ear he's got one of these new kids plasters on it.he's been having trouble with both ears. Every time we're out he cuts them. One ear had healed and they other in the photo is getting better. He was shaking his head and knocking the scabs of, so I tried these plasters they stick really well and seems to be on the mend know. It does really get on your nerves though as there ears bleed like mad.

AtbE2DD2AC1-0A41-45F1-8C2F-BB8E065B14C5_zps

Edited by stevo79
  • Like 1

Aye that's stuff haha excellent for if ye got somewhere that's bleeding and won't stop like a nail quick or ear

sorry for my ignorance, but how do you administer these crystals? is it straight out of bottle onto cut?

The stuff I have is a purple spray liquid probably crystallises when drying to stop bleeding not sure how it works. It is equine cost about 7 quid for 1\2a litre from any tack shop.

My mate also use's it to mark his ferret's when teaming up with other people's ferret's.

Aye that's stuff haha excellent for if ye got somewhere that's bleeding and won't stop like a nail quick or ear

sorry for my ignorance, but how do you administer these crystals? is it straight out of bottle onto cut?
If it's on the tip of ear, then put crystals in a wee tub, and dip ear or toe or whatever in, if it's in a more awkward place then stick a little bit of Vaseline on tip of cotton bud and dip it in crystals then onto cut. The crystals are messy if they get wet so don't get em wet with water, real handy to have about and far better than any of the sprays pal, just keep em away safe in a wee sealed tub I keep mine away from kids and that in small Tupperware tub lol

thank you mate! top tip, and have ordered some. do you cover it to stop dog licking?