Handstand Pushups

Go to solution Solved by gnasher16,

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I used to do handstand push ups I always got a bleeding nose .......                                         My knob used to roll down and smack me in the nose ........

Wide grip is chest....close grip is predominantly a triceps exercise.   Why anybody with access to a barbell would f**k about doing hand stand press ups is beyond me its a prison cell exercise.

What an idiot !.......its a rounded cast metal thing that makes a ding - a - ling noise kept in a public house used to announce that its time to go home !   Some people just havent lived !

Press ups use mainly chest muscles ... Hand stand press ups use mainly shoulder muscles ......

Wide grip is chest....close grip is predominantly a triceps exercise.

Why anybody with access to a barbell would f**k about doing hand stand press ups is beyond me its a prison cell exercise.

Spot on. ;)

Used to be able to do 4/5.

When I started the gym work I never tried them for some reason. I got much better at push ups so I'm guessing I could have banged out a few.

I'm in the process of building a gym so it's something I can practice.

Press ups use mainly chest muscles ... Hand stand press ups use mainly shoulder muscles ......
My shoulders were always stronger than my chest at the gym so that would be a bonus...??

Been doing a few pressups, and happy with progress up until my knee popped, anyway.. tried handstand pressups - yep.. completely different!

Starting back very slowly, knee is still not right. & with xmas etc its got a 'few' extra kilos on it!

Handstand push ups belong in a Rocky training montage along with the reverse sit ups and all the other balancing acts.....they look good thats all......unless you are drilling your head through the floor your shoulders are not even being worked your triceps are doing all the work its like pressing a barbell overhead but only lowering it to the top of your head !

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

Wish I had. £ for every time I've seen that gnash,,,,range of motion about 10 inch,,,,

Mind you it's not just restricted to overhead,,,,watched loads doing the same on bench press,,,load the plates on and lower it 6 inch and back to the top

Handstand push ups belong in a Rocky training montage along with the reverse sit ups and all the other balancing acts.....they look good thats all......unless you are drilling your head through the floor your shoulders are not even being worked your triceps are doing all the work its like pressing a barbell overhead but only lowering it to the top of your head !

Oi there's fukc all wrong with rocky training regimes ...,I chase one of my chickens around the garden daily .......

Fair point.

So without access to a gym or free weights what can I do that works my shoulders?

Fair point.

So without access to a gym or free weights what can I do that works my shoulders?

Pull ups wide grip palm facing away (reverse handstand!!!), not offering advice just saying what ive been upto re shoulders. No access to a gym either, having a go at it hillbilly sytlee! Edited by Columbo
  • Like 1

Fair point.

You can get training bands mate lengths of rubber that you double or treble etc to make the resistance harder ... You can do side laterals ... Front raises ... Presses etc .......

• Like 2

Would it be rude to ask why you dont have access to any equipment whatsoever ?.....if your about do get banged up all nicks have gyms :D ....besides which you must have access to at least a pillowcase theres no end of exercises you can do with a pillowcase....2 all the better ;)

In all seriousness ive seen more people injure themself with bodyweight exercises than free weights particularly bodyweight shoulder exercises which are renowned for rotator cuff injuries as the objective is as much on balance as moving weight which is a dangerous combination at the best of times.....im not a fan of bodyweight exercises full stop Socks refers to training bands and a lot of people use them to get around injuries personally i would rather use them than pure bodyweight as its far easier to focus on your contraction with actual real resistance than trying to create your own resistance with pike circles or lying iron cross type exercises for example.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2