Collie X Greyhound For Lamping Rabbits

Mr Plummer you judas ???? I have a half bred,I only use her for ferreting and pleased with her done everything I have asked but wish I had gone for the 3/8 5/8 just for that extra gear, I plan to put a strong whippet over her in the future and keep a pup back

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know why your so set on a collie cross with exact breeding,,,get a lurcher with collie in the mix from good working parents ,,,you won't go far wrong

Never seen a lurcher mature at 12 months old

The fractions are far less important than WHICH collies and which greyhounds are used. Any greyhounds should be full distance rather than sprint dogs and should have had a reasonably injury free car

Posted Images

Mr Plummer you judas I have a half bred,I only use her for ferreting and pleased with her done everything I have asked but wish I had gone for the 3/8 5/8 just for that extra gear, I plan to put a strong whippet over her in the future and keep a pup back

Neil, I think a lot depends on the sort of work you're giving the first cross, ferreting,cover work etc then you will not be disappointed,for lamping though the fast short grass,golf courses you need the extra bit of pace of the greyhound or whippet, hope it works out for you, WM

Mr Plummer, i already have a 3/8 5/8 bearded collie x

038-2.jpg

but ferreting is his game and to be honest thats what he was bought for but when it comes to lamping he falls short on several fronts but speed is not one of them....brakes , hunting up ,turning circle of a bus and not retrieving can be quite frustrating to say the least :D

• Like 2

Mr Plummer, i already have a 3/8 5/8 bearded collie x

038-2.jpg

but ferreting is his game and to be honest thats what he was bought for but when it comes to lamping he falls short on several fronts but speed is not one of them....brakes , hunting up ,turning circle of a bus and not retrieving can be quite frustrating to say the least :D

I've a bitch of the same breeding and she hasn't any of those issues bud, how old is yours?

Originally way back when the first collie x's were bred, they'd have been a greyhound dog over collie bitch.

I'd probably opt for a collie blooded lurcher x lurcher out of whatever two dogs were doing what I wanted of pup.

• Like 1

I have a collie cross it's only 1/16th collie but fractions mean F all depends how they throw, and she's thrown more collie than 1/16..

She's a cracking dog but lacks an extra gear 23tts

Best advice it'd say was what tomo said, look for a lurcher with collie in dont set ur heart on all the fraction bullshht.

I rate the collie cross I've in the past bred 3/4 crosses which are far less hassle to train than a 1st cross but don't carry the same stamina as a half cross in running around my shoot dogging in the half breds can run all round no problems but the 3/4 cross's need putting in the dog box 2 thirds around the shoot. I have 2 1st cross at the moment and I cant complain the dog can take most things, and the bitch I have just started this year and is very pleasing so far a year late as I ran it over costing me 2 grand but worth it. I would say a 1st cross is very tricky to train properly requiring a sense of humour and patience and you can't be hard on them, but if you can train 1 it's worth its wait in gold.

• Like 2

Mines out of Alex from hancock slightly over half cross and she doesn't struggle with speed she very fast was a dick of a dog to start but she's starting to come on nicely now thing I found with these collie X by 12 months they look mature but in there head their not mature till 18 months old even 2 years !

• Like 3