Patterdale As A Pet

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reality check mate .Unless your into hunting with terriers ie ratting or the occasional dig then try something else as it will no doubt end in another one on preloved totally messed up in the head or

It's not fair on the dog IMO. They'll eventually become a liability and it's not the dogs fault. Also IMO shame on whoever is offering it up as a pet, they haven't got the pup or the breeds welfare a

Id say theyre for experienced dog owners, ive known families to have them as a first dog and they end up being mad and aggressive, wereas if they were kept in a working home they would probably be a p

As long as its given appropriate stimulus it will be fine. Be that agility, fly ball or similar. They don't HAVE to hunt, but they will be much nicer to be around if they have a job of some kind.

I was given a bull Russell from a pet home once. He pet killed, cat chased and I suspect child bit. Unfortunately they had neutuered him to try and calm him down. Needless to say it didn't work. He was happiest in a hole with quarry in front if him.

I disagree. To a well bred terrier nothing is a substitute for work.

Keeping breeds like the good working terrier as a pet or a status symbol is a recipe for disaster .

Can you think of another breed that was brilliant at it's job for a century when in the hands of those who loved the breed but when it fell into the hand of pet owners and money men got a bad rep in less than 20 years ????

Not all Paterdales or Jack Russells etc are sold for mega money, some people just like to keep what I call a proper dog and not some poncy thing thats gonna lick every house visitor to death. A Patterdale that is walked properly, and by that I mean somewhere other than a little park round the corner, will make a loyal pet!

Over the years I've had a few that didn't work out for me,mostly because they liked afight and were a liability with my other dogs,they were spayed/neutered and went to pet homes with family members or friends who don't hunt,nearly all were offered back to me,I wouldn't give one away to a pet home these days,as I've got older I've come to realise it's not fair on the dog first and foremost,and not fair on the person,they ARE a liability IMHO and in my own experience,if you want a terrier then get a jack with curly tail from out and out pets.atb dc

Plenty of other mutts around mate. Get ur self a different breed most people I know who have had them as first dogs have regretted it and when kids get attached you've had it and end up living with a live wire too keep kids happy.like dc said get ya self a curly tailed jack 10 tts to mooch round your house atb dd

Over the years I've had a few that didn't work out for me,mostly because they liked afight and were a liability with my other dogs,they were spayed/neutered and went to pet homes with family members or friends who don't hunt,nearly all were offered back to me,I wouldn't give one away to a pet home these days,as I've got older I've come to realise it's not fair on the dog first and foremost,and not fair on the person,they ARE a liability IMHO and in my own experience,if you want a terrier then get a jack with curly tail from out and out pets.atb dc

Good point Daniel and what you're talking about that went on to be liability's are terriers that were not up to the grade as workers.

So what sort of a liability would a proper ,proper worker be if he wasn't allowed to do what he was bred for ?

• Like 2

Not all Paterdales or Jack Russells etc are sold for mega money, some people just like to keep what I call a proper dog and not some poncy thing thats gonna lick every house visitor to death. A Patterdale that is walked properly, and by that I mean somewhere other than a little park round the corner, will make a loyal pet!

You're right about one thing, not all terriers are sold for mega money.

Some of the best ever have been given to good lads for free by good lads.

• Like 1

Have to agree with Neil on this one. I think a hunting dog well especially a terrier if it bred for ground work should (NOT) be kept as a family pet if so to many people will start catching on to this and im afraid it will be a kc bred dog not to long in the future. It will ruin the patterdale eventually. Their bred for work and it must be kept that way anything else is just a negative to the breed over time. No No and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :nono: :nono: :nono:

• Like 1

Working dogs are bred for working not as pets. Instincts that have been bred into them for years drives the dog mad when they are not worked. How many times have we seen people being walked by their huskys pulling like crazy and being a handful. They were bred to work hard pulling sleds not some tool up and down a footpath. The Patterdale is bred to work underground so definately not suitable to a life without work.

• Like 3

Good point Daniel and what you're talking about that went on to be liability's are terriers that were not up to the grade as workers.

So what sort of a liability would a proper ,proper worker be if he wasn't allowed to do what he was bred for ?

neil I won't keep a dog/bitch that wants to fight with siblings/parents etc, no matter how good a worker they are,in the past I did, in fact my best dog,great grandsire to everything I have now was an out and out c**t of a dog,always got the job done but would make you look a c**t with other dogs/men around,grabbing the bull x or dogs waiting their turn.you don't need that, we'll I don't, I don't have to explain to you how a dog that's seen/ done abit that goes to a pet home,neutered or not will cause you problems dropping in,screwing cats,some poor old dears lapdog because I've seen it with my own eyes,I gave away a dog and bitch pup end of last season because they were showing signs of the attitude I dislike in my terriers(not because they walked,in fact the both of them were going and lads I knew were short of dogs) don't breed to make money/ name for myself only to have dogs that I can dig too consistently that only use the fire in their belly when in the ground.if you want time,dates,pics of dogs concerned I pm you the details when I finish me works do, lol.atb dc
  • Like 4

I guess ive sort of grown up with dog aggression and it never really bothered me but then again i know how to kirb it .How lads are able to keep more than one dog on the premise is however beyond me .This is one of the reasons im very particular who has one as they aint to everyones cup of tea tbh.