Working Wheatons

People have their own views on wheatons and now their very few and far between but I had a wheaton bitch that my grandfather gave to me as a pup . She was as small as a big pat these days, I remember digging some big earths with her she did 16 hours one time and almost the same as that a year after I was immature with the earth I brought her to but she never failed not even as much as a budge when she had settled that was were she was staying I wish I had her now but then would their be a good dog to cover her , and would they come small enough i doubt it. My memory of the wheaton that I had was a very good one. I will never forget her I bet their was some great ones out their / like wise shit to but that comes with all terriers but their must be a good reason why they are not used today.

Did you dig to that wheaten often and was it baying for those 16 hours ?

:hmm:

Neil what you up to now ?

Genuine questions .

Tell us about her style of work ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no money will buy pups buddy sorry all been gifted to friends I hope.one young fella not sure at moment but I hope to find somebody I know for him.

Why you always at fat man pabs? he comes across as a sound guy to me as you do yourself let it go mate or block him so you don't see his posts if you don't like him better than slating all he writes

No i called her ill tell you what i said, COME HERE FLOSSY BOTTOM COME OUT OF THE HOLE AND DONT GET HURT. Its time for your nappy change and its bop bop time.

Posted Images

Few lads from across the border used to come down digging to me for a few year and they had some very good wheatens also staff's,these men knew how to both handle and work there dogs also my late brother in law kept strong dogs and had a very usefull wheaten bitch,good at her job,he bred her to a big wheaten dog belonging to PK but she ate the pups.He went back to PK and purchased a wheatenxbull pup of that same dog,another good dog at its work but iffy around terriers after working.

Am not saying a full wheaton wudn't try to get to ground, but it's another thing getting to the quarry, even the smallest full wheaton wud struggle. I've seen 2 wheaton X's working below ground and well, the first was a wheaton/staff/russell x dog worked till he was 12 yrs old slightly a bit big but has accounted for a lot o foxes, 2nd was a wheaton/russell X bitch put down in her 2nd season,

• Like 2

Am not saying a full wheaton wudn't try to get to ground, but it's another thing getting to the quarry, even the smallest full wheaton wud struggle. I've seen 2 wheaton X's working below ground and well, the first was a wheaton/staff/russell x dog worked till he was 12 yrs old slightly a bit big but has accounted for a lot o foxes, 2nd was a wheaton/russell X bitch put down in her 2nd season,

Had a wheatenxfell that we dug a lot of quarry with,great finder but gave no ground at all when up to its quarry.

• Like 1

I've only ever seen one well bred strongdog that could be collared up, go to ground, find and be dug too. In fact it's the only strongdog I've ever heard of that could do it.

He was a red staff called Dutch. Same size as a 16lb fell terrier but was 22 lbs weight.

If you broke in behind him he'd be lying on his back with his four legs straight up against the roof of the tube and he'd have his mouth full to the back teeth.

But also had the paper work to prove that he was also qualified to be called a strongdog.

There's a clown a few miles from me who owns a pub and a few years ago fancied himself to be the next Peter Gorman.

I was around 20 at the time when I seen him put a finder collar on a 40 lbs plus wheaten bitch and let her go to ground. Even at that age I could spot a messer.

We dug to her alright, to free her as she was stuck at a bend which probably saved her life.

When you combine a dog with a strongdogs mentality with the whole concept of earth work it usually ends sadly. For either or both.

The dog rarely see it through.

So 16 hours has me amazed.

• Like 2

Neil the reason why I would not answer your question is your so predictable and so condradictive. I would not tell you how that dig went cause you would state what happened and what did'nt as if you were present .

OK, no bother, but you could give me the benefit of the doubt and tell us all about it.

Also, I think you'll find I very rarely comment on other folks hunts.

Theories Yes, hunts No.

Ok neil ill give ya the benefit of the doubt the bitch went in it took alot of chipping away then I got to her and pulled her up same as any dig. Just took longer as I was a very silly chap for letting her in such a place but like i said before i was immature roots rock gravel depth on my own but didnt care at the time loved everybit of it. She was the forbidden word on this site but came round after time didnt dig her to often but form time to time. Now give me the benefit of the doubt. Now ya ll sleep better.

• Like 3