How Much Retrieving

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why keep a pup away from rabbits until its 8 months that doesnt and never has made sense to me mine are mouthing rabbits in nets as soon as they are jabbed

I can honestly say I do very little retrieving training with my pups . I believe that if a young dog is taught to listen, has a good bond with you and has nothing to fear from you he will retrieve to

There's more to the retrieve than just throwing an item, you have to keep your space (roughly 3ft) as a safe and secure place for the pup to access   He must have zero fear in that area especially

I have always found the retrieve thing interesting. I have changed tack a bit with my current pup (first runner I have raised myself) he liked to carry things around naturally and as much as it can be annoying when they grab anything around the house, I actually always encouraged him to bring things to me no matter what he had. He has grown out of the nicking anything stage now and just brings his toys occasionally when in the house but I still give him plenty of praise. The whole chucking a ball in the yard thing is fine if the dog likes it, if not which some in my experience have found don't then is obviously a waste of time. I have found an old fishing rod and line of string and furry toy attached gets most pups much more interested than a straight ball, give them a bit of a chase around and when they grab the toy encourage them to bring it too you and when they do I reward them with a game of tug. If they don't retrieve it then you have the option of pulling the string into you and again repeating the tug game they soon click on they get to play if they bring it too you in my experience at least atb

• Like 2