Help Required/advice

Advice needed from some more experienced people After losing a dog 2 years ago when we moved house my wife has finally relented and is letting me get another dog for company of our little staffy. Now i am torn between getting a lurcher or a gundog i love lurchers but have had no experience of them if i get a gundog it will be a springer or a lab my wife would prefer a lab or she keeps going on about getting a lurcher with saluki in it as friends of ours have a lurcher with saluki in it and she loves playing with its ears. I know i know. Anyway the dog will be a familly pet and come beating and rough shooting with me, part of me wants a gundog but part of me wants a lurcher because it will take me back to when i first got an air rifle and used to go out with my uncle and cousin poaching at night shooting out of his truck window. Confused is not the word and only one dog will be alowed

If you go rough shooting then it's a no brainier get a gun dog ... Simples really .......

As socks said, if you mainly do beating and rough shooting its a spaniel or a lab. No proper shoot is guna want a lurcher tearin it up when you bush out a bit of fur!

A dog for a job fella.

There are lurchers in the beating line ive said about a springer but she thinks it will be too hyper in the house

springers can be a bit hyper, if you can`t exercise it enough to burn off that energy then its the wrong dog for you, get a lab, they just get fat when sat on their arse all the time, bit like people lol

Advice needed from some more experienced people After losing a dog 2 years ago when we moved house my wife has finally relented and is letting me get another dog for company of our little staffy. Now i am torn between getting a lurcher or a gundog i love lurchers but have had no experience of them if i get a gundog it will be a springer or a lab my wife would prefer a lab or she keeps going on about getting a lurcher with saluki in it as friends of ours have a lurcher with saluki in it and she loves playing with its ears. I know i know. Anyway the dog will be a familly pet and come beating and rough shooting with me, part of me wants a gundog but part of me wants a lurcher because it will take me back to when i first got an air rifle and used to go out with my uncle and cousin poaching at night shooting out of his truck window. Confused is not the word and only one dog will be alowed

Get a Gundog or a Terrier, more work for them these days.

If you fancy something between a gundog and lurcher i'd go for a whippet x lab, or whippet x spaniel, neither are hyper, or the ones iv'e worked anyway, whippet seems to calm the spaniel down a bit, and gee the lab up a bit if that makes sense? Versatile dogs for beating/shooting/ferreting, first x not really fast enough to be a proper catch dog, but they do catch, hardest part is finding a pup, the rests a doddle.

• Like 1