keepdiggin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Proper...good time.. dawgs...  

I happen to live in the hunter valley where the ACD was developed. The area around Muswellbrook, Aberdeen and Scone were they developed is a very hilly country with steep deep gullies thick with scru

A friend of mine works one on cattle here in England.it's quite compact and very protective of him and vehicles ect.doesn't have the gathering instinct like the collies but it will push and drive catt

I happen to live in the hunter valley where the ACD was developed. The area around Muswellbrook, Aberdeen and Scone were they developed is a very hilly country with steep deep gullies thick with scrub. cattle were not seen for years at time and a tough dog with a lot of drive that could push a cranky old beast out of his home gully was needed many English breeds were tried but a tough little collie type x with the dingo formed the grounding of the breed. then of cause help push them all the way to market. the breed split with the Timins biter being ( smithfeild dingo x ) taken to qld to later become the stumpy tail cattledog. Some dogs were taken to Sydney by some butchers and Dalmation and bull terrier were added for reasons best known to them. I worked with plenty over the years and the best of them are just worker breed to worker and produce both tailed and stumpy pups in there litters.

• Like 7

I happen to live in the hunter valley where the ACD was developed. The area around Muswellbrook, Aberdeen and Scone were they developed is a very hilly country with steep deep gullies thick with scrub. cattle were not seen for years at time and a tough dog with a lot of drive that could push a cranky old beast out of his home gully was needed many English breeds were tried but a tough little collie type x with the dingo formed the grounding of the breed. then of cause help push them all the way to market. the breed split with the Timins biter being ( smithfeild dingo x ) taken to qld to later become the stumpy tail cattledog. Some dogs were taken to Sydney by some butchers and Dalmation and bull terrier were added for reasons best known to them. I worked with plenty over the years and the best of them are just worker breed to worker and produce both tailed and stumpy pups in there litters.

Good bit of info that ...thanks for sharing
  • 6 months later...

I was thinking maybe they could work for what I was thinking about setting with you on a call stand to let you know when game was coming blood tracking and finding dens and finding traps that was drag off what would you all say could they do work like that or maybe a x

KYboy44 I guess the American cur breeds would fit that job well. I have had a very good friend in the past rest his sole that had kept and bred very good ACDs and having hunted many times with Brett and his dogs I think they would be very capable of doing the jobs you have mentioned in your post.

Thanks man I had a cur dog once real good coon dog but for setting on a call stand or tracking trapped game I would be thinking they would want to rip the game apart I was thinking the a.c.d be a bay dog maybe not have the kill dive that a cur would have they ever been used for anything besides hogs

Thanks man I had a cur dog once real good coon dog but for setting on a call stand or tracking trapped game I would be thinking they would want to rip the game apart I was thinking the a.c.d be a bay dog maybe not have the kill dive that a cur would have they ever been used for anything besides hogs

ACD's have plenty of drive to get a hold of something,be it 2 or 4 legged and the bite power of them does have to be seen to be believed mate :thumbs: ..

ACD's have plenty of drive to get a hold of something,be it 2 or 4 legged and the bite power of them does have to be seen to be believed mate :thumbs: ..

you ever thought about getting another pure or a x ? i reckon with there attributes they make great lurcher and pet/guard dog , if i was younger and didnt have my 2 dogs now,it a breed or x i go for :yes:

• Like 1

you ever thought about getting another pure or a x ? i reckon with there attributes they make great lurcher and pet/guard dog , if i was younger and didnt have my 2 dogs now,it a breed or x i go for :yes:

I was going to Ray and a pal had a litter of which i had a choice from but it's the terriers i've been concentraiting on and the lurcher i have now lurcher fits in just nicely with it,the litter are all through their first season learning their trades and everyone is happy with them.One member on here i know has one but his choice to say about it really mate :thumbs: ,my misses and the kids all loved the acd blooded dogs that have been here and as they say "never say never" mate :victory: ..

I was going to Ray and a pal had a litter of which i had a choice from but it's the terriers i've been concentraiting on and the lurcher i have now lurcher fits in just nicely with it,the litter are all through their first season learning their trades and everyone is happy with them.One member on here i know has one but his choice to say about it really mate :thumbs: ,my misses and the kids all loved the acd blooded dogs that have been here and as they say "never say never" mate :victory: ..
that light coloured bitch was a tidy one.shame it died Young.
  • Like 1

thanks :thumbs: yeh you got some very nice terriers , and your ok with them, no point in rocking the boat as they say with a new lurcher, suppose like me with my 2, Buck 4 this year still young dog, Bryn 9 in sep, bloody hell where the time gone lol. Buck prob be my last big lurcher, maybe when Bryn gone get a little 1x beddy x whippet for the future , mind you bloody Buck keeping me quite fit dragging me round the fields at night, you know how strong he is steve , he like slim timber wolf running at you :D but always liked ACD or there xs great dogs :thumbs:

• Like 1

If they have a lot of drive to get ahold of something how well could they work on a calling stand mostly want one to let me know when game is coming and blood tracking like a deer stacking dog would do under a high set would you think they would want to take out after one coming in or rip on up