Career Suggestions?

hello all! basically im nearly 18, and been on a training scheme working on my local canal leaning stonework with a stonemason for £30 for 21 hours and basically finding it not worth the hours as i can't afford driving lessons which as you know is quite important in gaining a job so was looking for suggestions or advice cheers -jake

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my brother in law is a stone mason, earns very good money and is crying out for apprentices. stick at it, two or three years sounds like forever when you are 18 but bekieve me it is no time at all, yo

Sounds like a great trade to learn, you can't pick up a trade like that in university. It could lead to fantastic projects like repairs to historic buildings, churches and extending existing building

Doing little pointing jobs and walling repairs would be a good way to bring in some extra cash in free time. Not many tools required and have the builders / stone merchants deliver your materials to t

Stick with it, when you've qualified you'll have a better car than your mates. :) There's serious money in heritage stuff like bridges and listed properties because there isn't anywhere near the skill base today as there was years ago.

me and my dad have great relationship and i do give him the odd tenner if i got it not that he asks but i know it goes along way in his eyes. i like work and the stonemason i work with loves his shooting so get on like a house on fire. part time work looks good option and maybe some driving lessons for Christmas haha.cheers lads :)

my brother in law is a stone mason, earns very good money and is crying out for apprentices. stick at it, two or three years sounds like forever when you are 18 but bekieve me it is no time at all, you can be earning a decent wedge by the time you are in your mid 20s. just get ssome certificates whilst you are working on day release or such

good luck

• Like 4

A part time job would be good,you could at least get lessons and maybe save up to get insured on your dads car.

though I'd rule out buying your own car no matter what for a while,you wont be able to save up if for a car if you're paying for lessons and insurance alone will cost a fortune at your age.

When I was on a tenner a week apprenticeship my £20 a week labourer mates laughed at me. Four years later I was on 45 and they were on 25, seems peanuts now but 40 years back it was a fortune lol

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Doing little pointing jobs and walling repairs would be a good way to bring in some extra cash in free time. Not many tools required and have the builders / stone merchants deliver your materials to the job. In my neck of the woods, pointing is about £40 / square metre and walling repairs minimum £15 / hour. Do a good job, don't mess your customers around and I bet the work will find you. Is cycling a viable way to get around ?

• Like 2