Aurora Borealis/northern Lights

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11917711/Northern-Lights-visible-over-Britain-as-Earth-aligns-with-Sun.html

Anybody lucky enough to see this, know I'm green with envy!

"The phenomenon will be more visible than usual over Britain in the coming weeks as the Earth moves into a new alignment with the Sun.

Currently the chance of witnessing the aurora borealis is high in areas such as North Wales, Northern England, Scotland and Northern Ireland."

"For the best chance of viewing the Northern Lights experts say it is best to find a dark place away from street lights on a clear night. Look North between 10pm and 2am for the best results."

No guarantees folks, but the odds are stacked over the next few weeks so keep an eye out. :thumbs:

Ive seen them in Iceland and Norway to be honest I always thought they were over rated when you see them on TV there always time lapsed and the camera sees them a lot better than your eye.. It was very clear last night me and the Mrs were doing a bit of star watching we could actually make out the milkyway centre very faint though.

Ive seen them in Iceland and Norway to be honest I always thought they were over rated when you see them on TV there always time lapsed and the camera sees them a lot better than your eye.. It was very clear last night me and the Mrs were doing a bit of star watching we could actually make out the milkyway centre very faint though.

I think most people feel the same about such astronomical events, the TV paints a false picture.

I've been travelling down Dorset a bit recently for stalking with a mate. Always a bit of lamping involved and the night sky down there is really quite beautiful compared to the midlands, the Milkyway is very apparent! Reminded me of the skys I saw as a child, before light pollution increased to what it is now.

• Like 1