Dehydration

I use the recharge tablets, cheap and fool proof. Had a mate nearly lose two dogs two weeks ago and the recharge tabs were the only thing that saved em. Both collapsed and were trembling

I was out with a lad who ran his dog into the ground at the end of last season. Collapsed. Trembling. Looked on deaths door. I carried her to the motor ASAP and got to a 24hr garage and got a bottle of lucozade isotonic. The still stuff. Half the bottle given over the space of about 20 mins saw her stood up and walking about. I was amazed.

Gluscose and time to cool down work wonders.
Yeah that's it. It was a combination of heat and over exertion as well, they took off up a big hill after a pig and by the time he got to em they were in a bad way. Had to carry the two dogs 5kms back to the truck.

I like to carry a bottle or two of water with me in the field just for the dogs especially if it's a warm day and every 30 mins or so I'll offer them a few mouthfuls. Never had a dog dehydrate doing that. Just like you don't play game of football without water at halftime, don't expect your dog to go withou

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Recharge: made especially for racing Greyhounds.

Would need more background to make an informed answer, ie why and how badly it is effected but in general in most cases water; it would be hard to get an adult dog so dehydrated that water wouldn't be

Lol il never if I can help it let mine drink outa puddles especially were they might be farm machinery/vehicles about you'd be mad to..   As for the milk n banana or whatever anyone else likes to us

Recharge is around 3 times the price of electro-lytes used for calves with scour.

When you compare the ingredients of the two they are the same.

Yet, when having a similar discussion on here a year or two ago I mentioned this. Someone said I was giving bad advice as the ingredients would be in different amounts for dog to calves.

Does anyone know if this is true ?

I was using Lectade years ago before there was anything for dogs.

Recharge is around 3 times the price of electro-lytes used for calves with scour.

When you compare the ingredients of the two they are the same.

Yet, when having a similar discussion on here a year or two ago I mentioned this. Someone said I was giving bad advice as the ingredients would be in different amounts for dog to calves.

Does anyone know if this is true ?

I was using Lectade years ago before there was anything for dogs.

Without reading the ingredients list one can only guess but it's likely they all contain similar ingredients but those will be in different amounts ie, horse and humans sweat when exercising to cool down and sweat contains sodium/water, therefore they need fluid to replace the liquid and sodium to replace the sodium.

When an animal or human is dehydrated through illness like diarrhoea then they will lose a number of different salt, the two main one will be sodium and potassium so both are likely to be needed along with water so there will be more potassium in the type designed for sick animals and humans such a dioralyte.

Both sorts will likely contain glucose.

When a dog runs to a standstill it isn't losing much water or salts as it’s not sweating so these are of limited use but it's the glucose that’s in short supply and some water as a cooling agent rather than potassium or sodium..

• Like 1

It’s a shame that dogs don't deal well with the sugars in milk because there was some good studies done on post exercise recovery drinks and chocolate milk proved to be as good as any. But what is show is what’s needed is a bit of protein and some sugars in drink form so you could perhaps swap the lactose for fructose, ie diluted fruit juice and add a little protein as a good recovery drink for dogs.

It’s a shame that dogs don't deal well with the sugars in milk because there was some good studies done on post exercise recovery drinks and chocolate milk proved to be as good as any. But what is show is what’s needed is a bit of protein and some sugars in drink form so you could perhaps swap the lactose for fructose, ie diluted fruit juice and add a little protein as a good recovery drink for dogs.

Use a few different things but milk and a banana is one that I like sandy like you say it has natural salts and sugars along with the calcium protein and cals all good natural post workout plus they enjoy it aswell so no messin, then later on some offal and honey mixed in with there usual meal..

If a dog is dehydrated he would have been dehydrated before he started running so shouldn't go out cause there's obviously some kind of problem within the animal don't see what the the fuss is about that a puddle of water wouldn't solve when out and about a fit dogs body is designed to deal with a lot of running and like us their brain will tell them when they are thirsty In order for them to keep the body hydrated keep the honey and bananas for your cornflakes

Lol il never if I can help it let mine drink outa puddles especially were they might be farm machinery/vehicles about you'd be mad to..

As for the milk n banana or whatever anyone else likes to use it doesn't mean your going to use it every time you take them out or after every run run or just for the sake of it, there's running and there's running but you must know that already right...sometimes you just gota get some stuff back into em in certain situations a good boxer doesn't do 12 hard rounds n then only has a can of coke at the end of it does he..

• Like 2