Carpenter, Door Fitting

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All this bollix about people being better than joiners at hanging doors, utter nonsense, do it yourself, but make sure the heads are straight if you put them on like most handymen they look crap. An

Have a crack at it, you`ll only lose a score if you mess up assuming you won`t then try the other 6 ... And if it goes to plan, you`ll save yourself a few quid. I had a "door off" at mine, one pal w

go in the nearest building site when their on the lunch break,offer it as a homer

Posted Images

Like most trades theres plenty of cowboys

One of the most common things i see joiners doing is cutting too much of the bottom of the door

The egg box doors they don't leave any wood in the bottom

if the egg boxers need cut then cut off the amount needed and if it's all the baton then, the part with the baton in it needs planed back to expose the baton where it's inserted inside the door again and glued and pinned into place. Not every frame is just slot the door in, especially older frames. That's why serving yer time means that you learn all the problems and tricks to fix them. Remember it's only a problem if it can't be fixed
  • Like 1

go in the nearest building site when their on the lunch break,offer it as a homer

That's what I did with a plasterer recently, it took me 4 months of serious effort to sort out his expert/professional job.

622a.jpg 624a.jpg

Just a couple of areas, the whole job was like this.

004aa.jpg

Some of the sanding I had to do to sort out the surface finish which was like an undulating rough sea, also visible some of the white filler I had to put all over the house to fill the troughs or bits he missed altogether.. That's my skirting board hiding under that plaster dust!

Shocking job!

ANYWAY.

I still need someone to fit some doors please! :yes:

HOLY F*%@ING S&$T!! As a plasterer I feel embarrassed looking at that and hearing a supposed fellow plasterer left you with that crap.. Was it cheap foreign labour by any chance?

That's what I did with a plasterer recently, it took me 4 months of serious effort to sort out his expert/professional job.

622a.jpg 624a.jpg

004aa.jpg

Some of the sanding I had to do to sort out the surface finish which was like an undulating rough sea, also visible some of the white filler I had to put all over the house to fill the troughs or bits he missed altogether.. That's my skirting board hiding under that plaster dust!

Shocking job!

ANYWAY.

HOLY F*%@ING S&$T!! As a plasterer I feel embarrassed looking at that and hearing a supposed fellow plasterer left you with that crap.. Was it cheap foreign labour by any chance?

Not foreign and with allegedly 30 years experience.......

post-10759-0-32074000-1443725035_thumb.jpgpost-10759-0-89511300-1443725081_thumb.jpgpost-10759-0-73945400-1443725116_thumb.jpgpost-10759-0-52860300-1443725157_thumb.jpgpost-10759-0-58434000-1443725196_thumb.jpgpost-10759-0-84565900-1443725237_thumb.jpg

I could post many more pictures, lesson learnt.

Anyway, the walls have been sorted as best as sensibly possible by me, and I'm on the door fitting and decorating. It cost me a vacuum cleaner as well, despite emptying and cleaning the filters daily, they clogged up non stop with the dust and the motor eventually gave up!

Anyone fit some doors for me please? :laugh::thumbs:

Edited by Deker

622a.jpg 624a.jpg

004aa.jpg

Shocking job!

ANYWAY.

Only as you mention cheap foreign labour. Was thinking to myself today how running a company id always rather employ brits. I dont think all foreigners are crap workers more just the thought of helping out n looking after my own. Even if would mean loosing abit of money id do it. Not thinking about opening my own company really. Is a local fruit n veg shop near mine, i always go there. I dont think my money keeps him open but always mention him if is a subject i can drop him into. Like the idea of helping him out as his a nice local bloke rather than using say tescos. Thought to myself i must be getting old but actually would always rather buy locally.