Planned Deerhound X Greyhound Litter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant that there are no Doxhope litters, in the sense that they were not bred by us. Our last pure bred litter was before 2005, so any remaining dogs would be a fair age now. I saw an advert a yea

Aye My dad was a stockman, he was interested in all breeding of anything, he had an amazing understanding of genetics He bred them I worked them, perfect combination If I saw something of intere

Not first cross Due first week of Nov

Posted Images

Do u think the genuine working deerhound will be lost a some point. In the future if there not already gone because of the small pool left all the beat bob84

Do u think the genuine working deerhound will be lost a some point. In the future if there not already gone because of the small pool left all the beat bob84

Who knows, If a few dedicated people who know a thing or two about breeding and get into working deerhounds, what's to stop them making a comeback the doxhope dogs originated with show stock and look what was achieved with them
  • Like 1

Got to be bob, especially over here

I worked them from 1990 to the mid 2000's

The ban put a lot of nails I the coffins of working deerhounds and the show people did the rest

The right people are no longer involved, and the right stock are getting less and less

We exported to the USA but the dogs were used more for cross breeding for hunting, or show

We sent dogs to Ireland and I remember being told of one competition where 3 out of the 4 semi finalists where doxhope deerhounds or from them

Just hope the Irish lads keep the breed working

It's not just deerhounds that have been spoilt though

Lure coursing is the only thing that is going to keep deerhounds active, and a deerhound club run by dianasours and hair dressers, I think we saw the best of working deerhounds, and the likes of what we will never see again....

• Like 1

Sorry for all the questions but do you think its because of the ban over in the UK that its playing apart in the deerhound and its crosses falling out of favour might be a stupid question if ya don't ask you'll never no

Sorry for all the questions but do you think its because of the ban over in the UK that its playing apart in the deerhound and its crosses falling out of favour might be a stupid question if ya don't ask you'll never no

The ban wouldn't affect any one type of dog.

Even pre ban deerhounds and first and second crosses were a rarity up this neck of the woods.

I never seen a pure deerhound run but seen a few first crosses and three quarters.

The best of the first crosses were the lighter built bitches, most of the dogs were way too big and heavy for all round work.

The second crosses were a better prospect with a larger percentage of the litter being more suitable for all round work.

The best deerhound blooded dogs seemed to be when the mix of deerhound and greyhound were mated

to a good line of lurcher.

I think the bitch my grandad got had something else in the mix but her dam was a first cross i think 800 is steep i guess that's why there ain't meant about so

Is their any genuine deerhounds about now I mean the lean well put together type's that can actually run not like the big heavy boned one that looked like wolfhounds that a lad at the birr game fair this year

Shanehound off here had some tidy looking hounds
nice price too, any wonder they're on the extinction list. Feckin money ruination again

What would u pay for a pure deerhound I'm guessing it's. Crazy money by that last post

It's never been cheap to buy a pure deerhound pup. I can't remember what he charged, only that it was cheaper than the going rate. I don't know Shane personally but he doesn't keep deerhounds anymore. When he got out he offered me a youngish adult dog, 30 inches at the shoulder, for a couple of hundred to a good home. I turned it down as I didn't need anymore dogs. I hear it's doing well with it's new owner.

If you want a purebred pup I can't see you finding anything for less than 800.

You'd be better getting a halfbred pup which you could find for around 200 to 250.

I never see any for sale over here as pups when I'm looking for one not that I'll be needing a pup for while all going well you see them pop up on donedeal every so often. But there nearly always 12+ mouths old witch make u its too late the damage is done with them

A member on here bred a litter a couple of months ago, I think in Limerick. His hounds were worked on fox.

Doxhope deerhounds originated from dual purpose deerhounds, from owners who at that time worked their hounds as well as showed, and from dogs noted for producing good working stock

We never chose a sire from any show ring

There are not many of these dogs now, and don't forget, these deerhound people are still the same folk who sent me a snotty letter telling me to stop writing about deerhounds in those "poaching magazines"

Let the b*****ds spoil the breed matie... Who gives a f**k

Maximus Ferret put a link up to his add they are cracking pups but I couldn't and wouldn't pay 850 for a pup I only ever paid that once and It was a gundog at that had him pts last year at 16 he was 3 when I got him by god did I learn the hard way with that dog so I promise myself no more stupid money on dogs haha