Being a complete numpty when it comes to foraging for wild mushrooms but being something I have an interest in. It would be an idea if those who have a clue about what your picking can show us and share.

I have acres of woodland and open land I roam and come across all sorts but never know what's right for the pan.

What's good and what land or trees are you picking them near?

Being a complete numpty when it comes to foraging for wild mushrooms but being something I have an interest in. It would be an idea if those who have a clue about what your picking can show us and share.

I have acres of woodland and open land I roam and come across all sorts but never know what's right for the pan.

attachicon.gif51c7OOQc1rL._AA160_.jpgcollins pocket gem mushrooms paperback £4 on amazon or ebay might help

Just orderd it, thanks for the heads up Larry.

If i'm dead by November I want working homes for the dogs an a damn good piss-up at my funeral....

attachicon.gif51c7OOQc1rL._AA160_.jpgcollins pocket gem mushrooms paperback £4 on amazon or ebay might help

If i'm dead by November I want working homes for the dogs an a damn good piss-up at my funeral....

:laugh: that's the both of us then!!

Plus. I'm shit out of luck. I have no friends. Especially any who know about foraging. And I wouldn't trust trying to identify something out of a book :no:

Tried looking up some on the net with my phone once and abandoned the idea. Far too dodgy.

Closest thing I'm going to get to then is tripping my bollox off with smithie!!

Ive often fancied learning about this, but only recently did I discover that when a mushroom is "poisonous", it doesn't mean "Jippy guts for a couple of days, that'll teach to you to be more careful", but "collapse and suffer a painful death within a few hours, with no hope of treatment" !

I'll leave it to the experts, I reckon.......

:laugh: that's the both of us then!!

Plus. I'm shit out of luck. I have no friends. Especially any who know about foraging. And I wouldn't trust trying to identify something out of a book :no:

Tried looking up some on the net with my phone once and abandoned the idea. Far too dodgy.

Closest thing I'm going to get to then is tripping my bollox off with smithie!!

I'm too old for that ffs. but I can show them you so your kids aren't fed them in a breakfastlol. not be very good if your kid's run all the way to school so to hide from the hulk

• Like 2

The only mushrooms Ive managed to identify beyond a shadow of a doubt are field mushrooms and parasol mushrooms, most of what I find seems to have a deadly lookalike and you need to be a scientist to tell the difference, bloody frustrating. Maybe Ill start growing mushrooms seems safer lol.

Edited by pie-eater

Get some pics up of the mushrooms you're finding around your area and I'm sure lads on here will be able to tell you what's safe to pick :thumbs:

On the continent you can bring everything you've picked into a local pharmacy and they'll check through to make sure you haven't picked anything dangerous, shame we've got nothing like that over here.

• Like 2

Forget all the field guides. There is only one book for the novice mushroom hunter and that is Mushrooming With Confidence by Alex Schwab.

The book doesn't bother showing you what will kill you it just shows you how to identify the safest and very best ones to eat!

• Like 4

Most mushroom field guides will blow your mind with hundreds of mushrooms, all similar in size and colour, harmful and edible with very little difference. Your best approach is to concentrate on the few good edibles you are likely to encounter on your foraging expedition and become really confident in identifying those and the ones they could be confused with. I pick and eat Parasols, Chanterelles, inkcaps,Puffballs and Boletes (Cep, Orange birch, Scarletina) but only because I feel confident I'm getting it right and there are no lookalikes that will destroy my internal organs in a few hours. I come across many others when out that are probably okay but won't risk it. Still trying to find my first Morels, never seen one in the flesh yet, maybe next spring. The River Cottage book 'Mushrooms' by John Wright is a good one for a beginner, good pictures, descriptions and lists the stuff you are likely to come across along with their lookalikes.

• Like 2

Good post David. ;)

My book arrived today and just as you say it has almost blown my mind with the many types and confusion species..!!

Yep, if i'm goin to stay alive i need to seriously concentrate on a few only..!!

I like the idea of foraging mushrooms but I was once on a course with a fella who taught deer tracking and wild survival. He was telling me about a bunch of experienced trackers he knew went out together for a weekend hiking and didnt come home. when the search team found them they were all laid in and around camp. toxicology reports showed it was some deadly mushroom they had all consumed. These guys were getting paid mon-fri to show people which ones were safe! If it was one numpty I could understand but 6 of em? Think it was in yankee land like but still put me right off. He told me that same as said above that its extremely hard to tell with some of them and if you get it wrong you are dead, its not like a bit of food poisoning. Since then I have only foraged for mushrooms in ASDA or Sainsburys!