Is The Apbt The True Bulldog Or A Terrier Cross?

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In certain circles the term " Bulldog " within the breed of American Pit Bull Terriers is reserved specifically for the very best examples of the breed......" that dogs a real bulldog " for example wo

I know exactly where Alan lives?.I was at his house last year when he gifted me an undershot male pat which didn't make it.Known him around 20 years. One of the best catchdogs I seen weighed 30 l

I watched the above videos.They are hogs in a pin who have their spirits broke.These type are generally fat also.They have no fight left in them because dumb rednecks put catchdogs on them every Satur

Posted Images

Just now, Waz said:

But... the bull arab types, hunt their pig and then catch it. In your own words AB are slip/catch dogs nothing more nothing less.

And.... What's your point? 

How do you know, seen a YouTube clip? 

4 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

And.... What's your point? 

How do you know, seen a YouTube clip? 

I think my point was clear, if not dont worry too much. Ive hunted pigs with dogs for years, I know which out of the 2 id rather feed.

12 minutes ago, Waz said:

I think my point was clear, if not dont worry too much. Ive hunted pigs with dogs for years, I know which out of the 2 id rather feed.

You've hunted pigs with American Bulldogs and Bull Arabs, you in Australia or New Zealand then? 

Where did you get your AB's from? 

14 minutes ago, Waz said:

Stick to your DVDs ?

If you're going to join a thread just to be a sarcastic f****r then don't bother. 

So you've hunted pigs with American Bulldogs and Bull Arabs? A bit more info would be appreciated. 

Edited by Greb147

I think Waz’s time spent working dogs far out ways time spent on computer,so are you hunting boar out in France Waz?This boy would probably like a run at the boar but he’s my ex’s pet/guard,Russian Terrier x Ambull

atb

E1C9C34B-CD46-462A-A752-E04FCE8DDF3F.jpeg

• Like 3
11 hours ago, JMc said:

I think Waz’s time spent working dogs far out ways time spent on computer,so are you hunting boar out in France Waz?This boy would probably like a run at the boar but he’s my ex’s pet/guard,Russian Terrier x Ambull

atb

E1C9C34B-CD46-462A-A752-E04FCE8DDF3F.jpeg

You think he's the only fella ever to have gone out hunting? 

From what I make out he lives in France poncing around for the show. ?

Now don't quote me on this but I'm guessing they don't use American Bulldogs or Bull Arabs as catch dogs over there? 

If he hasn't used either breed on boar then is opinion is no better than anyone else's, especially those that actually use them as catch dogs in the States. 

He says stick to YouTube, I posted a hog hunting video  for all to see,  he can be as sarcastic as he likes but the dogs were clearly doing their job as catch dogs, unless he's trying to suggest that the pigs and dogs weren't real and it was fake? 

Edited by Greb147
2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Ok buddy, I wonder why the pigging lads use APBT, AB or Dogo and their crosses  for that kinda work then? ?

In NZ they don't.

I've seen pigs caught there by several different types, even fox terriers. Herding dogs, huntaways, heading dogs and collies are very popular although, to be fair, most purpose bred pig dogs do have a dose of some kind of bull. 

They have to hunt the pig and either bail or hold it. The terrain is such that it takes a while to get there so having something too hard isn't always helpful.

They seem to use seperate catch dogs in the states, not sure why it's done differently there maybe flatter terrain so it's faster to get to the bail up? 

Anyway, interesting thread. I guess pig hunting is not really what the original thread was about.

11 hours ago, Tyla said:

In NZ they don't.

I've seen pigs caught there by several different types, even fox terriers. Herding dogs, huntaways, heading dogs and collies are very popular although, to be fair, most purpose bred pig dogs do have a dose of some kind of bull. 

They have to hunt the pig and either bail or hold it. The terrain is such that it takes a while to get there so having something too hard isn't always helpful.

They seem to use seperate catch dogs in the states, not sure why it's done differently there maybe flatter terrain so it's faster to get to the bail up? 

Anyway, interesting thread. I guess pig hunting is not really what the original thread was about.

Yes and like you said in NZ they use bull blooded dogs to hunt & catch pigs albeit mostly Bull Terrier. 

The modern AB is basically a bull cross catch dog, especially the Scott & Painter lines which have strong APBT influence. 

Bayers will get stuck in on occasions but a well bred catch dog will grab hold of any big hog no questions asked.

I'm envious of those that can do it, I'd take that over rabbiting every day of the week. ?

Edited by Greb147
2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

You've hunted pigs with American Bulldogs and Bull Arabs, you in Australia or New Zealand then? 

Where did you get your AB's from? 

Born Hunter has a thread about NZ in the big game section, including pigs.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Greb147 said:

They are used as catch dogs and are good at their job, what else should be asked of them? 

Not all lines are like the Johnson type, you can't have seen the Scott, Painter/Margentina lines? 

Most are sub-100lbs and very serious dogs, bred for work. 

My mate's sister in law has a scott type A B. About 24 tts and about 90lb. Athletic as f**k. A fitter dog you most likely won't see. The sister in law used to run for wales competetively, 10k, and runs half marathons regularly. Takes her dog, brian, with her on her training days. And he'd be about 10 years old now.

He won't have seen any work at all, but by god, he's a fit, impressive looking animal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

My mate's sister in law has a scott type A B. About 24 tts and about 90lb. Athletic as f**k. A fitter dog you most likely won't see. The sister in law used to run for wales competetively, 10k, and runs half marathons regularly. Takes her dog, brian, with her on her training days. And he'd be about 10 years old now.

He won't have seen any work at all, but by god, he's a fit, impressive looking animal

Yep, my cousins male and his son that my brother owned were the same. For such big dogs I've never seen that athleticism, work rate and stamina. 

My cousin tested his dog and it was overkill for what's over here, my brothers dog never saw any work but that was more radged than his sire. 

Of course they don't have a real history because they are unlikely to have any relation to those Old Southern White Bulldogs that lived on the plantations over a century ago.